Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Shh" sound when decelerating (Read 179 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
"Shh" sound when decelerating
05/26/15 at 05:44:06

Greetings everyone...I'm new to the forum and I've already done a search for this and found nothing that quite matched my issue so I'd like to put the question to the collective mind, if I may.  I just got my S40 a month ago. It's a 2005 model with 11,064 miles (It had 10,300 when I got it).  Until now it's been running and sounding perfect but now I'm getting a loud "Shh" sound when decelerating.  It doesn't do this when the clutch is disengaged and I simply coast.  It doesn't do this when accelerating either.  I have no idea what could be causing it and it's very disturbing.  I'm sorry to have to introduce myself this way but I'm very glad to be here and I'd really appreciate any advice/insight anyone might have.  Thanks!

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: "Shh" sound when decelerating
Reply #1 - 05/26/15 at 05:58:28

Have you done anything to it?
Can you tell from which direction the sound is coming from?
Just 11,000 miles, kinda early for the cam chain... but,
When you pull the clutch in, engine drops to idle... chain slows down, centrifugal force diminishes.. maybe the noise is there under power, you just can't hear it over the exhaust?
If you try to find it sitting still, set a fan up, you rack it off sitting still a few times and the pipe will turn blue.. I know..

Might be time for valves, you're in the mileage for it. I doubt that is the noise, but it still might need done.
I like fresh batteries in stuff.. if yours is original equipment, at least check the water.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/26/15 at 06:00:57

When you close the throttle and decelerate you are making a big vacuum in the space between the intake valves and the butterfly in the front of the carb.  The rubber intake manifold clamp for the carb could have an air leak, maybe the vacuum line for the petcock....check for anything that could cause a vacuum leak near the front of the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/26/15 at 06:24:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/26/15 at 05:58:28:
Have you done anything to it?
Can you tell from which direction the sound is coming from?
Just 11,000 miles, kinda early for the cam chain... but,
When you pull the clutch in, engine drops to idle... chain slows down, centrifugal force diminishes.. maybe the noise is there under power, you just can't hear it over the exhaust?
If you try to find it sitting still, set a fan up, you rack it off sitting still a few times and the pipe will turn blue.. I know..

Might be time for valves, you're in the mileage for it. I doubt that is the noise, but it still might need done.
I like fresh batteries in stuff.. if yours is original equipment, at least check the water.

I've done the typical things one would do when buying a previously owned motorcycle.  Changed oil, new battery, new plug, checked for loose nuts/bolts, etc.  I haven't check the valve clearance yet but I know what ticking valves sound like and I've never hear valves make this sound before.  I also haven't checked the cam chain tensioner but I'm familiar with what a bad tensioner sounds like when it's ovaling.  This is definitely not making a knocking or ticking sound.  As for the location of the sound, I can't get a bead on it.  It sounds like it's coming from in front of me.  As for the possibility that I might not be hearing the sound during acceleration over the exhaust, I don't think so.  The exhaust is quite loud during decel.  and I can hear this over that quite well.

Dave wrote on 05/26/15 at 06:00:57:
When you close the throttle and decelerate you are making a big vacuum in the space between the intake valves and the butterfly in the front of the carb.  The rubber intake manifold clamp for the carb could have an air leak, maybe the vacuum line for the petcock....check for anything that could cause a vacuum leak near the front of the carb.

I will check for vacuum leaks but this sound is quite loud and I should mention that I have no noticeable loss of power and performance is in no way compromised.  I would think that a leak like that would cause some noticeable difference in performance.  Wouldn't you think so?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #4 - 05/26/15 at 07:18:09

Check belt guard clearance.  Mine was bent a little from the PO when I got it and made a similar noise, only on decel.   Cool  Cool

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 05/26/15 at 07:31:26

Belt... if it does it with the clutch out, but stops with it in,... I'd say belt...
The engine drag is tugging the belt.
Try putting something on the belt...baby powder, vasoline, anything..  
It won't fix it, but it will change the sound... then, you'll know it's belt noise..

Then, once you know, you can choose to try to silence it, or ignore it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/26/15 at 07:34:00

Srotag wrote on 05/26/15 at 07:18:09:
Check belt guard clearance.  Mine was bent a little from the PO when I got it and made a similar noise, only on decel.   Cool  Cool

I will definitely check that.  I would think I'd have heard it before now unless maybe my tire pressure has changed or I've gained weight, which is entirely possible.  I want to mention one other thing.  I've noticed that when I decelerate my idle will go down to around 800 briefly and then come back up to proper idle speed between 1000 and 1200 rpm (I installed a tach when I got the bike).  When the idle goes down to 800 briefly it sounds like it'd going to stall and sometimes it does.  It's probably coincidence but this began happening a few days before I started hearing the "Shh" sound on decel.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/26/15 at 07:37:21

Check the front pulley as well.  I had something similar.  The PO had tightened the front pulley, but did not bend the tab over the nut to lock it in place.
The front pulley nut got loose.  When I would accel, the pulley moved toward the engine, and no noise.  When I decel, it would move away from then engine and rub against the pulley cover.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/26/15 at 07:43:26

youzguyz wrote on 05/26/15 at 07:37:21:
Check the front pulley as well.  I had something similar.  The PO had tightened the front pulley, but did not bend the tab over the nut to lock it in place.
The front pulley nut got loose.  When I would accel, the pulley moved toward the engine, and no noise.  When I decel, it would move away from then engine and rub against the pulley cover.

That's something I didn't look for during my initial inspection of the nuts/bolts.  I didn't even think about it.  I'll definitely get that cover off right away and check it!

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/26/15 at 08:14:05

Okay, I checked the front pulley and it's quite snug and the tab is bent over it as it should be.  I also checked the belt guard for any signs of wear or contact from the belt and it's in perfect shape, not bent and not showing any obvious signs of rubbing.  I did notice that the oil seemed a little low in the sight glass so I added a little and then rode a few miles to go buy some vaseline to put on the belt but the noise didn't present itself this time.  I feel like that's just coincidence but maybe not.  I've had a lot of bikes in my day and none ever made that "Shh" sound for being a little low on oil but then again none of them ever made that sound at all.  This is my first belt drive so I'm inclined to still think belt.  Could it be oil related?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/26/15 at 11:25:00

Dude, doggone if I have the answer, but I sure appreciate the way you explain things and respond to our best guesses instead of just ignoring them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/26/15 at 11:45:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/26/15 at 11:25:00:
Dude, doggone if I have the answer, but I sure appreciate the way you explain things and respond to our best guesses instead of just ignoring them.

You guys all know this bike very well.  I'll listen and follow until I have something meaningful to contribute and then maybe I can help someone too.  Until then I'm a student and even then I'll still be a student I think Smiley I really appreciate the help too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/26/15 at 11:57:55

What part of Houston are you in?

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 05/26/15 at 12:10:39

I live in Westchase. I-10 @ beltway 8

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 05/26/15 at 12:32:45

How are the brake pads?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:29:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Shh" sound when decelerating

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.