Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pics (Read 906 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pi
Reply #15 - 05/28/15 at 02:15:07

Yes, We're allowed to import some used cars. They have to be classic type stuff. And even the old cars have to be historically "correct" like standard kind of thing. No importing hot rods, lead sleds custom cars. Well you can, but you'd never get them registered for the road. It's a bit of a pain. The bikes we have what's called the RAWS scheme: Where bikes on the List are allowed to be imported then complianced by a RAWS (Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme) then can be rego'd. Bikes brought in that way tend to be Harleys, BMW, Ducati and a  bunch of trashy jap 400cc things for the learner market. Otherwise they have to be built pre-85 (I think) to avoid the RAWS deal. I did look at importing a Savage from the states but it wasn't worth the $$ or hassle. That's life.
Utes are a way of life over here. They're great  Smiley

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #16 - 05/28/15 at 19:17:54

There's not much importing going on here either.  It's a real hassle and you have to have a lot of money to bring in almost anything that wasn't sold in the states (that's why the Ute costs so much).  The safety laws are completely insane and keep out many cool cars that other countries have.  

One good thing here is there are no "learner" type laws with motorcycles.  Anyone with 14 grand can go down to their local Kawasaki dealer and buy a ZX-10R and ride it home.  You are supposed to have a motorcycle license to ride, which isn't hard to get, but the worst that will happen if you don't is you will get a ticket.  I think starting on a big bike is a bad idea, but each to their own.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 05/28/15 at 19:49:09

govnor wrote on 05/28/15 at 19:17:54:
There's not much importing going on here either.  It's a real hassle and you have to have a lot of money to bring in almost anything that wasn't sold in the states (that's why the Ute costs so much).  The safety laws are completely insane and keep out many cool cars that other countries have.  

One good thing here is there are no "learner" type laws with motorcycles.  Anyone with 14 grand can go down to their local Kawasaki dealer and buy a ZX-10R and ride it home.  You are supposed to have a motorcycle license to ride, which isn't hard to get, but the worst that will happen if you don't is you will get a ticket.  I think starting on a big bike is a bad idea, but each to their own.

As much as i hate over regulation, I almost disagree about no learner law being a good thing, seeing how many idiots don't make it home alive on their first bike
We just had some old dude kill himself running into the back of an 18 wheeler here, and I bet if the full story comes out, it'll be some guy who wanted a bike his whole life, and got one for himself once he felt he could get away with it...and went straight to the big Harley Dresser as a 'starter bike'
ALMOST makes me want a learner law, almost

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #18 - 05/28/15 at 21:22:32

What do you get for $735? I know the whole "bolt on" aspect allows for higher pricing but that seems steep to me. I looked at the site but couldn't get an idea of what all comes with this "kit"

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 05/28/15 at 21:48:52

Not a whole lot Rylee, like RYCA the parts are dear, but all the engineering is worked out, everything you need (and I mean everything, down to the hardware) is included, and the parts are good quality

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #20 - 06/03/15 at 07:38:40

Rylee wrote on 05/28/15 at 21:22:32:
What do you get for $735? I know the whole "bolt on" aspect allows for higher pricing but that seems steep to me. I looked at the site but couldn't get an idea of what all comes with this "kit"

I put everything that comes with the kit in the pictures.  The exhaust DOES NOT come with it, but they do offer a long exhaust.  I wanted a shorty.  I did not originally buy the blinkers because they were expensive as I was not going to run blinkers.  I re-thought that and ordered them anyway and that was a couple hundred more bucks.  I like the fact that they act as running lights along with the tail light and they go with the kit so they fit exactly right.

It basically comes with a rear fender, your choice of side mounted license plate mount (normal or sideways), a very nice leather seat, which you can have personalized and all of the things you need to install along with detailed instructions.  It comes with drill bits you'll need, all of the hardware you need, etc.  So you don't have to stop what you're doing and head down to Home Depot for a tool or bolt.  You don't have to create a mount for the seat, etc, it is included.

What you're buying here is good quality parts that look like they will never fail (read heavy and strong) as long as you have the bike and knowledge.  It's also not cheap junk from China.  It's made in the USA, which is another reason it's expensive.  I think people have gotten so used to buying a $15 part from China that we don't realize how much American made parts would be if they still made stuff here.

If you don't know how to make the parts that will turn the bike into a bobber or don't know exactly what to get or just plain don't have time then that's who this kit is for.  If you run into trouble you can call these guys and ask questions and they don't mind.

My project is taking a back burner for a week or so since I had to start school back this week, have clinicals all weekend and am working full time as well.  I got sidelined because I am doing a lot of other things to the bike while putting on this kit such as painting, new tires, fitting new handlebars, etc.  I think if you didn't do those other things this kit could be easily done over a weekend taking your time.  And I mean that with an inexperienced person.  

I have seen people pee on kits like this because they think it's too easy or expensive and they can "make all of the parts themselves."  Well fine, this isn't for those people.  I don't know how to make a part and don't have time to learn, but I do want to bob my Savage, so I am the direct market for a kit like this.   Smiley

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #21 - 06/03/15 at 07:45:25

Govnor,

Very nice article explaining why it is worthwhile to go with a quality product if you one afford it.

I am looking forward to seeing your finished bike and riding with you.

Kenny G

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #22 - 06/14/15 at 19:29:21

Completely torn down:  

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #23 - 06/14/15 at 19:30:34

The tank was a serious pain because of that stupid decal.  I had to go down to the bare metal!  

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #24 - 06/14/15 at 19:39:30

Some of the mods I did while I had the bike apart include Raptor petcock.  You guys weren't kidding, it fits perfectly.  I also re-jetted with a 155 main and a 55 pilot jet.  Air box delete with cone filter.  The only other engine mod is the Voodoo exhaust and wrapped header. Z bars, turn signals from blue collar and new Metzelers.

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #25 - 06/14/15 at 19:50:10

Here are some pics of the seat pan and wiring.  You can hide a lot of wiring in there.  

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #26 - 06/14/15 at 20:09:21

I wouldn't call this "finished" but it's pretty close.  I haven't even washed it or polished it up yet in these pics.  I was just glad to have it going again.  It's been a long project with work/school full time.  I think this can realistically be done in two weekends or maybe one long weekend if you want to install the kit, paint, do other mods while you have things apart, etc.  Also there's always the waiting on parts thing since you can't get a lot of stuff for the Savage at the local dealership.  They didn't even carry the stock rear tire!  Anyone wanting to do this kit, you HAVE TO HAVE A STOCK SIZED REAR TIRE.  It won't work with the 140/90.  Mine needed new tires anyway but that was more work and waiting, of course.

This kit is really spot on.  The quality is great and the instructions are the most detailed I've ever seen on any project.  ALL parts are included (zip ties, electrical connectors, bolts/nuts, etc).  They even send some extra stuff in case you mess up.  The metal is thick, heavy and powder coated.  You could put this stuff on a show bike with no extra prep.  The quality is unsurpassed and I am really impressed.  I only ran into a couple of minor fitment issues, but they were really minor.  Otherwise, everything lined up perfectly, all holes were drilled and everything was powder coated.  I can't rave enough about this kit.  Anyone worried about the price because it might be of slip shod quality can quit worrying.  It's really the best it gets.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/14/15 at 20:25:39

Lance,

Your bike really looks nice. You did a good job.

Where did you get the tires?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 06/14/15 at 20:49:35

Looks really good!

Do you think you could run a 140/90 if you made your own fender struts? Is that all that keeps you from using the taller tire?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #29 - 06/14/15 at 21:06:58

Thanks guys!  Tires are Metzeler ME880 and I got them on Amazon.  Had to order from two different sellers though for the two different tires front and back.  As far as the strut length being the only thing against the 140/90 it is not.  It's mainly the front fender brace.  It's hard to explain, but it's all a really tight fit.  Longer strut braces just wouldn't work.

What Lance from BCB really needs to do is put a 140/90 on his kit and see if it will fit.  If you want to give me an exact height measurement of your tire I will try it against my fender.  I even called and asked him since I was having a lot of trouble finding the right size tire.  He said it wouldn't fit but I don't think he's actually tried it.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.