Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pics (Read 906 times)
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pics
05/25/15 at 20:36:02

Let me start out by saying I am posting this for people that are considering buying the blue collar bobbers kit.  I know there are a lot of guys on the board that can make all of the stuff themselves and I am not putting this up for them since they don't need it.  I am a business owner, work full time and go to school full time.  So I do not have time to engineer and fabricate things.  Also, I don't have access to that type of equipment.  I have a buddy who does (works in a machine shop) and if I had time it might be something I could do.  So if you are a professional mechanic/fabricator/engineer this isn't for you.  I know you can do it cheaper and maybe better!  This is for guys like me that can't, but don't mind spending a few bucks to get something high quality to help us enjoy our bikes.

I bought my Savage because I was planning to do the RYCA cafe racer kit.  I have a cafe racer already (have owned a few) and can always use another one, but I have also owned a bobber, which I sold last year.  I was mainly looking for something cheap and reliable but not something you see every day.  The RYCA was the ticket as was the Savage for reliability.  Then I rode the Savage around some...  I started missing my bobber and that riding position.  Yes, I'm getting older and there is something to be said about comfort.

Also, I don't really have the kind of time it takes to do the RYCA kit.  My free time is extremely limited as I work full time, have school three nights a week and clinical 24 hours every other weekend.   I have known about blue collar for a few years so I started looking into that and that's what I decided on.  Yes, I would love a hardtail, but my rear end does not.  RYCA does have that cool hardtail kit, but...lots more time building it.

I have to say I have not spoken with a nicer bunch than the blue collar people in a long time.  They are great people.  The kit I got from them looks to be of the highest quality.  I'm sure they could go to China, replicate it, and sell it for $200, but then the quality would not be there.  The ONLY thing I had a minor problem with was there was a small scratch on the rear fender (I'm sure I could have returned it with no questions asked).  Well, it has to be lightly sanded before painting.  The scratches came right off so no more problem.  The seat, all of the metal pieces etc, are heavy and WELL made.  No BS.  I will try to document as much as possible.

The DVD that comes with the kit gives full instructions on how to build it.  When I say FULL instructions, I mean it!  It's about 2 hours and 20 minutes long.  Lance kind of babies you through it which would be good for someone that has never done anything like this before.  I find myself skipping around a lot because I know how to take off the gas tank, etc, but for those who don't seeing the visual is very helpful.

They're not kidding when they say it comes with everything you need.  They include drill bits, loctite...even leather conditioner for the seat!

The exhaust did not come in the kit, but is in a couple of pictures.  I picked up a Voodoo to try out.

So here's the bike starting out:

Here's the kit as it arrived and unboxing:

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Re: Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pi
Reply #1 - 05/25/15 at 20:45:47

Here's the cutting process:  You have to remove the rear fender/seat assembly and cut the frame that it attaches to.  In the DVD it shows how to do it with a hacksaw, but I started with a dremel and a cutting wheel.  Well, that only went so far and then I had to get out the hack saw.  That was a good way to get the cut started though, for a straight cut.

This is the point you get to before you start cutting:  

Action shot:  

Where you cut (yes, showing this for dudes that may or may not be using the kit, but wondering where exactly to chop:  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/25/15 at 20:47:56

It's a bobber in a box...

Be sure to post us the finished product...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/25/15 at 20:52:45

Not to worry.  I am waiting on a few parts (new tires, bars, etc.) Also will be re-jetting the carb and painting everything before it goes back together.  So it may be a month or so.  I was hoping to ride sooner!

IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #4 - 05/25/15 at 22:33:37

cool start ... glad to know the DVD is as thorough as the uTube videos

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 05/26/15 at 00:41:51

Nice one, guv'. an image of the BCB S40 I stumbled upon on the net got my Savage bobber project rolling. Took me a couple years to find the donor bike. The BCB looks like a really well thought out kit. (I like your Other Bike, too. Mine's yellow).

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 05/26/15 at 19:15:02

I love the officially licensed Ford product!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/26/15 at 21:36:06

Nice work so far, I'm a bit disappointed to learn the BCB kit requires frame cutting, but it is what it is

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/27/15 at 08:27:25

Gizzo are these bikes hard to find in Australia or expensive or something?  They're a dime a dozen here!  I do think I read that a car is far more expensive there than here in the states.

IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/27/15 at 08:28:47

Yeah, Art, it is a commitment!  You are not going back to stock for sure.

IP Logged
Backtobasics
YaBB Newbies

Singles, pure and
simple

Exeter, NH
Reply #10 - 05/27/15 at 08:59:07

I can attest to Blue Collar Bobbers being a fine outfit.  I purchase some mirrors from them and when I had a question, they came back to me immediately and were so darn nice and helpful.  The mirrors were great, much better than others I had purchased on EBay and then had to return with a restocking penalty fee.  Good people at BCB.  Looking forward to your bobber progress.

2007 S40, Raptor Petcock, Versy Adjuster, Avon grips, Seat lift, and Saddleman roll bag
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/27/15 at 10:26:40

BCB has a rep for quality. You pay dearly for it,, but it's good stuff from everything I've heard

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 05/27/15 at 14:29:58

govnor wrote on 05/27/15 at 08:27:25:
Gizzo are these bikes hard to find in Australia or expensive or something?  They're a dime a dozen here!  I do think I read that a car is far more expensive there than here in the states.

Yes on both counts. They were only sold for one year here (1986) and were never popular so not many survive. I paid $3500 for mine with 19000 miles, in very average condition. Ironically, Suzuki Australia have relaunched the S40 to take advantage of the hipster thing, so I could have a brand new one for 7k.
Yes cars are dearer here too. Even a v8 Commodore,built in my home town ,cost more here than you'd pay for one rebadged as a Pontiac.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/27/15 at 14:53:41

Aren't you permitted to import used cars?

WWW   IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #14 - 05/27/15 at 18:48:33

Wow, that's pretty crazy!  You pay for rarity though.  Someone in Colorado is selling those Utes for something like $85,000.  Which over her you can buy a Corvette for cheaper.  I like having something unusual and even here you don't see many Savages.  It's Harley or nothing where I live.  I wouldn't have one mainly for that reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Blue Collar Bobbers Savage/S40 kit install, pics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.