Raptor in, stock out (Read 124 times)
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Raptor in, stock out
05/25/15 at 19:18:34

My still-new-to-me Savage was intermittently acting funky - I describe it as lurching, like it's running out of gas when it's not - and it was doing it at various speeds, all temps, etc.  Gas was fresh and so forth.  SeaFoam added, but haven't gotten enough miles for it to have one anything yet.

I had planned the Raptor swap anyway, so we went ahead and did it since we were taking the stupid tank off to swap the plug (which looked fine) anyway.

Runs MUCH better immediately.  Once we figured out the tank removal (simple, yes - AFTER the first time!), no problems at all.  Took note of the thread on making sure no loose paint is present, and removed all of the paint (it was all flaky anyway - failure imminent?).

Funny thing is, the petcock had obviously been removed before.  Not only was there the expected evidence of multiple tank removals, but the screws on the stock petcock were scratched up.  Makes me wonder if that's why this bike got traded in - it was running funny and he couldn't fix it.

Anyway, thanks (again!) for the great information you all provide.

* Tomi

2006 S40, 11k, Raptor petcock, first 'cycle. Wish me luck!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Raptor in, stock out
Reply #1 - 05/25/15 at 20:40:38

You'z is done good...

Many happy miles to you... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/26/15 at 17:18:59

I bought mine new in 2012, and it almost got traded or sold before the first 100 miles. Fortunately, I had learned the forum lesson on a previous bike. So I found this site, and fixed my frustration. I guess your bike's previous owner wasn't so lucky. Good going, and enjoy the ride. Oh yeah - one more thing I just discovered - the S40 doesn't like ethanol. They say it has something to do with the low (8.5 to 1) compression ratio. The unburned E10 likes to explode in the muffler I guess.

IP Logged
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Reply #3 - 05/26/15 at 18:06:32

HAPPYDAN wrote on 05/26/15 at 17:18:59:
Oh yeah - one more thing I just discovered - the S40 doesn't like ethanol. They say it has something to do with the low (8.5 to 1) compression ratio. The unburned E10 likes to explode in the muffler I guess.

I've read that in a couple of other threads.  I live near Lake Erie, meaning we have multiple marina sources for non-ethanol gasoline.  I'm considering getting a 5 gallon can and running it on that for a couple of weeks to see if it helps any.

Not that the afterfires bug me.  And they bother my dad, which inspires me to leave it alone...   Roll Eyes

* Tomi

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #4 - 05/27/15 at 10:25:19

Tomi wrote:
"Not that the after fires bug me. And they bother my dad, which inspires me to leave it alone. "
Grin Grin Grin
Thank You Tomi...

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/27/15 at 11:49:56

Mine rumbled and grumbled on decel, but not between gears.
Properly tuned, Dyna exhaust, they run through the gears just roaring, but when you're going down through the gears they just rumble and growl, no gunshot popping,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tomi
YaBB Newbies

Pas de voictoire
sans la guerre

Fairview Park, Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/28/15 at 14:30:01

I don't have a lot of "pops" on decel, but I can absolutely count on one when I hit the kill switch.  It's like the last firework on the 4th of July.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 05/28/15 at 14:39:51

I will get a small firecracker crack between first and second when it's cold. After the first shift, no more.  Lots of burbling and stuff on decel.
I like to get a really nice loud boom on shutoff. Smiley

Oh, and, Welcome to the forum.  Enjoy your bike.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/29/15 at 03:45:38

Steve H wrote on 05/28/15 at 14:39:51:
I like to get a really nice loud boom on shutoff. Smiley

Well then rev the bike up just before you hit the key! ; Shocked

For a nice quiet shut down.....just let it idle for 15-20 seconds to cool down a bit before you turn the key off. Wink

It really is best to have the bike at idle before you turn the key off, as that will pump as little unburned fuel through the engine as possible.  Revving the engine up on anything with a carb before you shut it off will pull a lot more fuel into the engine and pump it into the exhaust when the key it turned off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 05/30/15 at 08:48:25

I get anything from a loud poof to a 12 gauge when sutting off depending on what I do just before turning off the switch.

If mine idles about 30 sec, I get little to no poof.  Nice loud bang from running hard and immediately pulling up and cutting off.

Like Dave said, blip the throttle just as you turn off the switch, it'll get a bigger fuel charge and make a really nice loud noise. Watch people in the parking lot duck and dodge.

Since carbs aren't common these days, many people don't really even know what a backfire (afterfire) sounds like.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:21:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor in, stock out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.