Charging Batteries (Read 41 times)
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
 Charging Batteries
05/24/15 at 15:03:11

From the ‘Big Heavy’ things, from many years ago.
To the little, ‘little-light’, “Smart Chargers”, today.

Years ago, it was 50 Amps, on, ’Start’, and you lugged it around,
to give a boost, when it was -20, -30, and started cars.
Of course it did have a 20 amp setting,
but that would fry a little battery in a heart beat today.

I have tried several, ’smart’ chargers.
(Home Depot, ’Tender’, brand, etc.)
They ALL, puked out over a winter,

Found one, that I really like, for a small, light, smart, charger.
From Feet Farm, “Schumacher” Mod SEM-1562A-CA
Cost $11.95  Output, 1.5 amp, (in 12v) and ’smart’, so it will not over charge.
(Made in China, ‘Of Course’)
You may find another one that you like.

Used to take batteries, ‘out’ in the winter.
Now, (just got lazy), I, ’top them off’ in the winter.
2 MC’s, 3 LM’s, 1 boat, 1 tiller.
First day on the month,(in the winter),
put one on, for about 24 hours,
next day, next item, next day, next item, etc.
in two years NEVER had a problem.

Point is, Charging a, SMALL, battery,
’Slow & Low”.   MC battery,  ’Slow & Low”
1,  1.5, 2 amp MAX.  24 hours ! “Smart”, Charger,
so it does not, ‘over’ charge.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re:   Charging Batteries
Reply #1 - 05/24/15 at 16:54:08

I have a charger that is just six amp maximum, 32 years old.
Wish it was adjustable, it's just on or off,and probably not okay
for a little battery.l

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 05/24/15 at 19:52:32

I've always thought "low and slow" was best. Seems like trying to force a fast charge on high would overheat the battery - no matter what size battery.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/25/15 at 03:55:02

Fast charging is not good for a battery and will reduce the life of the battery.  You should not use more than 2 amps on a small battery, 6 amps are OK for larger batteries, big batteries from tractors and diesel trucks can handle a lot more.

Modern "smart" chargers are great, and it is nice that they can shut off when the battery is charged - but they are not able to charge a battery that is mostly, nearly, close to dead.  Once the battery voltage drops below a certain level - the smart charger "and tender" sees that the same as being fully charged for some reason (maybe it reads how much current is being taken), and the smart charger shuts off and will not charge the battery.

It is a good idea to have a tender of some sort and use it occasionally, I never keep mine plugged in continuously even though they can be.  I will plug mine in for a few days....then unplug it for a week.

You should also have an "dumb" charger....one that will charge a dead battery.  Watch for them at yard sales and flea markets....you can find the small "trickle" chargers that work good for small batteries, and the larger ones work for the batteries in your car.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/25/15 at 09:16:46

Dave wrote on 05/25/15 at 03:55:02:
Fast charging is not good for a battery and will reduce the life of the battery.  You should not use more than 2 amps on a small battery, 6 amps are OK for larger batteries, big batteries from tractors and diesel trucks can handle a lot more.

Modern "smart" chargers are great, and it is nice that they can shut off when the battery is charged - but they are not able to charge a battery that is mostly, nearly, close to dead.  Once the battery voltage drops below a certain level - the smart charger "and tender" sees that the same as being fully charged for some reason (maybe it reads how much current is being taken), and the smart charger shuts off and will not charge the battery.

It is a good idea to have a tender of some sort and use it occasionally, I never keep mine plugged in continuously even though they can be.  I will plug mine in for a few days....then unplug it for a week.

You should also have an "dumb" charger....one that will charge a dead battery.  Watch for them at yard sales and flea markets....you can find the small "trickle" chargers that work good for small batteries, and the larger ones work for the batteries in your car.

My theory is that below a certain voltage, the charger doesn't detect the battery
it has to measure charge, to know when to turn off, so it has to have parameters for doing so, and I think once a battery gets below a certian point the charger just doesn't 'see' the battery
This is based on my Schumacher
on it, there's a green light for 'okay / charged' and a yellow light for 'discharged'
If you plug it in with no battery attached (i never connect to the battery until I've plugged in) the green light comes on, as though it was hooked to a charged battery
Then when you connect it, the light goes yellow (if the battery needs charge) and as the battery comes up, you have a period where yellow and green are on, then just green
I've gotten mine to charge a 'flat' battery by attaching said battery to another that was low, but not flat, with jumpers
the charger then charged both batteries  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:30:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! ›  Charging Batteries

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.