Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Testing Safety Switches (Read 178 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Testing Safety Switches
Reply #15 - 05/27/15 at 11:29:01

Do you have experience with soldering?
If not, it's not hard.
And you can practice on small,cheap stuff, maybe wire from a dead dvd player, heck, a six foot extension cord costs two bucks. You can cut, strip,  solder..
I bet there are tons of you tube clips on how to.

Phhhht, wiring harness,,  nuh uhh,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #16 - 05/27/15 at 12:17:41

Unfortunately up in my area not easy to find parts for my old gal.  I ordered a new assembly because individual parts not available from Suzuki for this model year.  Rear brake switch corroded. Kill switch parts not available either to rebuild, I tried to clean contacts but no difference.  Hopefully this will solve the problem.

I am wondering if the corrosion travels the length of the wire under the sheathing compromising the flow of electricity?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 05/27/15 at 13:49:32

If you can see the copper is green going up under the insulation,then yeah, the wire needs attention. I've stripped wires back and unwound them and used the small wire brushes from Harbor Freight ,scraped with xacto knives, whatever,to clean them up. If you put wires pointed at each other and overlap the ends, twist one one way, twist the other the other way,then they are wrapped around each other and in a straight line, so, you can use heat shrink tubing on the joint after you solder it.
Adding wire to a few wires is a bunch easier than putting in a harness.

Before you start buying switches, figure out what you need. You might be ahead to get the whole assembly.
Was it kept outside or did it live near the ocean? Why is the wiring so fragile?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #18 - 05/27/15 at 15:55:49

I cut the sheathing back and sure enough corrosion on the wires.  I ordered the entire assembly and will put everything back together next week when it arrives.

I have owned this bike for 2 yrs...not sure of the history because I bought it from a dealer.  I keep it in my garage.

IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #19 - 06/03/15 at 09:15:45

My Savage is alive after the new harness install.  Just wanted to send a huge thanks to those that guided me through this repair.  I spent $141 in stead of $500 or more I am sure it would have cost and got to know the electrical system in the process.  This forum is AWESOME!

Jose

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 06/03/15 at 09:20:03

No,dude,if you decided, and have already done it, You are awesome.
Ill bet you Did learn a few things.

IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #21 - 06/03/15 at 19:30:19

I adjusted my valves and will be double checking them tomorrow.  I would like to adjust the decompression solenoid because it is at 8mm.  I had a look in the repair manual and on here but not exactly sure how to adjust.  After the valve adjustment the engine will not fire.  Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 06/03/15 at 20:03:04

Put it in high gear and try to roll it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 06/03/15 at 20:24:02

86-Savage wrote on 06/03/15 at 19:30:19:
 After the valve adjustment the engine will not fire.  

What do you mean?

starter motor stalls?
or turns and turns and turns?

after all... you were talking about the decomp adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 06/03/15 at 21:38:10

Did you have to make a big adjustmen?
How did you get it to TDC?
Sure you are on TDC Compression?
Didn't turn the crank clockwise,did you?

IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #25 - 06/04/15 at 03:59:33

Starter motor turns and turns but does not fire...I have spark.

TDC...I rotated the engine counter clockwise until the intake valves ( ones near the carb) went down and came back up and lined up the timing marks...for some reason after checking the clearance 3 times the valves were too tight each time...less than .003.

I did not adjust the decompression solenoid to speck at TDC...I loosened the 2 nuts on the lever but didn't see how to adjust cable.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 06/04/15 at 07:27:01

86-Savage wrote on 06/04/15 at 03:59:33:
Starter motor turns and turns but does not fire...I have spark.

TDC...I rotated the engine counter clockwise until the intake valves ( ones near the carb) went down and came back up and lined up the timing marks.

Smiley  only turn the crank in one direction, if you go past, go around again.
Quote:
..for some reason after checking the clearance 3 times the valves were too tight each time...less than .003.

not good, if you pull up on the rocker does the adjustment change?
Quote:
I did not adjust the decompression solenoid to speck at TDC...I loosened the 2 nuts on the lever but didn't see how to adjust cable.

You need to take the tank off to measure the decomp solenoid (8mm I think you said), on the back side of the solenoid is a rubber cap, pull it off and that's where you measure, clymers is completely unclear on the subject.

Or you can adjust by function.  
Too tight and it'll take 3 or 4 rev's to start.
Too loose and the starter will stall.
1 or 2 turns is what you're looking for.

WWW   IP Logged
86-Savage
YaBB Newbies

Ontario, Canada
Reply #27 - 06/04/15 at 11:40:36

Thats where I was going wrong...if I went past the TDC mark I would spin it backwards...finally got the valves set properly.

I've had the tank off for 3 weeks now and measured the decomp exactly as you stated.  I decided to leave it alone for now.

I decided to go grab a new spark plug...installed it...attached the fuel tank...BOOM...bike purrs like a champ...went for a test drive and just got back...shut her down a number of times just to make sure and so far so good.

Did a complete overhaul of front brake asembly with new seals/piston/pads/flush/bleed...so far so good as well.

Feels good to be in the saddle again!  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 06/04/15 at 11:57:47

And, when wrenching on things, best to not mess with more than one area at a time. Playing with the valve lash And the decomp at the same time leaves a
Wont Start
problem with more than one potential source.

And be aware that the cavity the plug sits in catches crud from the road and can drop into the cylinder. Blow it clear before pulling the plug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:37:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Testing Safety Switches

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.