Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throttle cable clip alternative (Read 61 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Throttle cable clip alternative
05/23/15 at 21:42:36

Mine just decided to jump off the bike yesterday which caused the cable to pull itself about 1/4" up under the tank and get stuck. Translation -- 3000 rpm idle speed. The cable pulled open the throttle when it moved. I had to baby it home in traffic while the rpms screamed every time I pulled in the clutch to shift.

I haven't found this clip for sale anywhere nor is it in any parts fiche. Is there something else I can use that will fit? I don't want to rig it with wire or anything. I want a genuine trustworthy alternative. Any thoughts?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Throttle cable clip alternative
Reply #1 - 05/23/15 at 22:02:02

WIth the cable set in the hole, how much slack is in the throttle cable?
Properly adjusted the clip is not needed. You're not the first to lose it, but the first to suffer an incident.
It's just a bent wire,,  I think I could make one if I thought I really needed it .When you're starting to gas it as you hit the apex, is it predictable when the power comes on?
If not, I bet the throttle cable /carb needs some slack out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/24/15 at 05:02:55

ideas:

small gauge paper clip.  bend it up so it forces on like the EOM clip

solid core electric wire.  Strip it.  First wrap goes in slot that hold the cable in.  Then wrap around over the top to hold the wire in the slot

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 05/24/15 at 07:46:15

Stock cable, stock carb, etc. The slack is normal. I can wiggle the cable slightly. Somehow it got pushed under the petcock and jammed itself to the point that I had to get home and pull the tank to fix it. I tried pulling it back down after I stopped in a parking lot. It wouldn't budge. After freeing it, it has the proper amount of slack. I just don't want to have to do this again.

I thought about a paper clip. I may end up trying that. It seems the simplest fix. I might even see if I can find a small e-clip that will be nice and solid. I don't how I'll ever get it removed if I have to!  Grin

The wire wrap is a great idea too. I think wrapping it over itself might do the trick. I have plenty of wire around here I could use.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/24/15 at 09:55:39

IMiO, and im not there to see it, and idont know what
A little bit
Of slack is, adjust for minimum, and your corner exits will improve.
Whatever happened coulda got You Killed, so, think about that while you're working out the answer. We haven't Lost anyone, seen some hurt, don't be in either group.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 05/24/15 at 19:50:32

That's always first on my mind!

I think what happened is that I may have moved the cable while putting the tank back on. It seemed a little tight getting it back on. I probably jammed the cable under the petcock.

It ran great for ~10 miles though... Huh

The trip home was a little scary though. Thankfully it was uneventful!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle cable clip alternative

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.