What a day! (Read 173 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: What a day!
Reply #15 - 05/25/15 at 13:00:18

Good on you!  I also waited a year to move because my son was doing well...(ADHD though), but I moved back to a place I knew and was comfortable working in.
Look around if you are planning, apply online for jobs...(what professions are you looking to do?), you don't actually have to show up if you get a better offer.
Ask around, anywhere... online... heck here in this forum is a good spot too, lots of folks can feed you a bit of info on places around the states.

I prefer here though....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
govnor
YaBB Newbies

DFW, Texas
Reply #16 - 05/25/15 at 19:51:49

Sorry to hear it!  It has happened to the best of us.  Off topic but I wouldn't move to Austin.  I have friends that can barely afford to live there because everyone from California has moved there and driven the housing prices through the roof.  I'm in the DFW area and it's a little more sane.  Austin is definitely the cooler place to live, but DFW has lots of jobs and lower housing prices.  I can't blame anyone for getting out of California.  It's beautiful, but idiots have control of the government.

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #17 - 05/25/15 at 23:10:04

Thanks for all the comments. As far as the Austin Texas move goes. My wife's family live in Point Venture that's what sparked the Austin possibility. We'd most likely be in west Austin outside of town. Austin has the closest feel to Long Beach probably because a large majority of the now residents are California transplants.

I'm an Executive Chef with a very solid resume and a current near 6 figure salary so job hunting won't be an issue. From what I've seen job wise in that area I shouldn't have a problem nearly matching my current income while decreasing my cost of living nearly 20%.

Just to give an idea of my current cost of monthly living
$2250 3br 1bth 1150sq ft apartment with small garage and no washer dryer in unit.
$171 month basic car insurance for 2000 grand cherokee
$226 month full coverage 2008 honda odyssey
$186 year 1996 suzuki savage
$298 year 2009 883 sportster
$3.89 current price of 89 octane

Last year I paid almost 6k in state income tax and with 3 deductions got barely any of it back.

I've honestly been ready to move away from California since I got here 5 years ago

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/26/15 at 21:47:15

Well I was gonna volunteer to scout any neighborhoods you were interested in, but sounds like you got that covered, and yep, Austin will be far cheaper than Cali, and there's more high end restaurants opening all the time last I knew
I grew up in Austin, and while it's definitely not the same as I grew up in, it's still a pretty cool place (except the neighborhoods I grew up in  Grin)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/26/15 at 21:56:30

Austin is gonna be a good step,then. Loads of loaded consumers, you'll be fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:12:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › What a day!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.