Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
wont start. Electrical? (Read 223 times)
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Re: wont start. Electrical?
Reply #15 - 05/21/15 at 17:23:54

The wire is a single wore with a connector with a white strip. My harness is stock and whole.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #16 - 05/21/15 at 19:50:47

So I checked the valve clearances and they are all in spec. I have the valve/rocker cover off now and inspected the cam. It seems to be off timing. I have it at tdc and the two slash marks are not lined up with the top surface of the head. So I loosened the bolts toke the c clip off and am trying to get the sprocket and chain lined up with the cam. Everytime I get them lined up and almost all the way onto the cam it seems as though my chain wont give me quit enough slack to get it centered on the cam. Am I missing something here? I don't need to take the side cover off and mess with the tensioner do !? Thanks guys.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 05/21/15 at 20:04:37

yetimeister wrote on 05/21/15 at 19:50:47:
Am I missing something here? I don't need to take the side cover off and mess with the tensioner do !? Thanks guys.

yes, you do.

WWW   IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #18 - 05/22/15 at 05:19:53

So last night shortly after I wrote that I got the cam sprocket and chain all lined up without having to get into the side cover. Bolted everything back up and went to bed. Woke up this morning went out and it fired right up! My timing was off. This is the good news. The bad news is now I seem to have a whining type noise coming from the bottom end area? Any ideas? Can't seem to catch a break here.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 05/22/15 at 05:54:37

If the fellow that installed your cam can't get the timing right....no clue as to what else may be wrong.

If you didn't take off the clutch cover and release the cam tensioner...it could be your cam chain is too tight.  When you had the cam sprocket loose the tensioner might have moved when the chain was slack....and when the tensioner takes a new "bite" on the ratchet it never lets go.

I believe you need to take the cover off and release the ratchet so it can remove some pressure on the cam chain.  Then while you are in there look around and make sure it all looks correct.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 05/22/15 at 05:57:05

That's where id start.
No telling how hard it's pushing on the guides.
I don't know how you managed it. You must have some strong hands.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 05/22/15 at 05:57:52

Then when you have time go over and "dope slap" the guy that worked on your engine! Angry

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #22 - 05/22/15 at 06:07:52

Thanks guys that's what my next step was but wanted to make get a second opinion. I'll pull the cover off when I get home and release it and see if that helps. Yeah let's just say once I get it all resolved I'll be giving him a call to inform him. I knew I should have just done it myself. As for strong hands I can't take full credit after a while I got it to line up just right and it didn't take much effort but was a hassle.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 05/22/15 at 06:24:11

Left side inspection cover out, rotate CCW on bolt till marks line up on TDC,compression.  
Unless you check and make sure that didn't change while wrangling with the chain,tensioner,etc, just bolting it up and calling it good can be a bad idea.
Considering the quality of the job, id sure wanna know that cover isn't in overly tight. They have been known to cause headaches if cranked down too tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #24 - 05/22/15 at 06:56:12

Thanks man. You mean the valve cover? I torque everything to soec so it shouldn't be an issue of torque tightness.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #25 - 05/22/15 at 16:42:10

So I just pulled the clutch case cover. Nice little surprise I found. The tensioner is over extended and the only thing holding it together is the spring. Best way to tackle this without it grenading? Appears to not be chewed up. Explains my whinning noise.. Should I try and reuse it? Buy a new one? Buy a modified one? Can't really measure the length as its pooched at the moment. Bike only has 5500 miles and is a 98. Trying to figure out my next step haha. What a hassle this has turned into.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #26 - 05/22/15 at 16:43:23

Assuming this was due to the shop not getting my timing right? Never has this issue before.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 05/22/15 at 17:02:09

yetimeister wrote on 05/22/15 at 16:42:10:
So I just pulled the clutch case cover. Nice little surprise I found. The tensioner is over extended and the only thing holding it together is the spring. Best way to tackle this without it grenading? Appears to not be chewed up. Explains my whinning noise.. Should I try and reuse it? Buy a new one? Buy a modified one? Can't really measure the length as its pooched at the moment. Bike only has 5500 miles and is a 98. Trying to figure out my next step haha. What a hassle this has turned into.

I don't know what you mean by "pooched" but if the adjuster doesn't appear to be damaged, I think the first thing I'd try is pulling it out, putting the spring and plunger back in the body, and re- installing it. Then see how far the plunger is extended. It might just have come apart while you were messing with the chain. At 5500 miles I don't think the chain should be stretched to the point where the adjuster would come apart.

A photo would be helpful.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 05/22/15 at 17:17:20

I wasn't paying attention. The spring doesn't hold it together.
Stiff piece of paper, corner on tensioner body, mark where protruding tube starts to taper to the attachment point.
Then measure that.
Low miles, should be good.
A picture would be nice.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #29 - 05/22/15 at 17:46:11

Got it apart and put back together. Small scare on the side but not where the action takes place. Internals all look good still. Measures 8.4 mm.
Pooched- = broken or in sometimes he's pooched!- tired /drunk lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:57:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wont start. Electrical?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.