Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
wont start. Electrical? (Read 223 times)
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
wont start. Electrical?
05/20/15 at 06:49:12

So I had my engine sent out to have it receive new gaskets and a new cam shaft put in along with the valves adjusted. I farmed this job out because im currently in the process of building a voodoo vintage hardtail 650. I got my engine back bolted it up, and plugged in my wiring harness. I turned the key and it cranked over then stopped. Well i found a black ground wire connection i forgot to plug in. So i plugged it in and replaced the 20a fuse i blew in the process. It cranks over fine and everything seems to work but it wont run. I seem to be getting fuel and spark and when i fully choke it it wants to start more so but quickly goes back to just cranking over. To me it sounds like a fuel problem not electrical. I took the carb apart twice now and cleaned it and blew it out and the jets with compressed air. Still doesnt want to run. Maybe i fried something when i cranked it over the first time without the black wire connection connected ? Im at a loss. any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a open exhaust open intake and raptor petcock just fyi.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: wont start. Electrical?
Reply #1 - 05/20/15 at 07:03:32

You need to make sure the decompression solenoid is properly adjusted and not holding the exhaust valves open a bit.  The lever on the side of the engine should be horizontal and resting on the bottom of the bracket.  When you hit start the lever should be pulled up for just a revolution or two - then drop down into the resting mode before the engine will have any compression and start/run.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #2 - 05/20/15 at 07:19:38

Good to know although ive messed with the adjustment on it and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/20/15 at 09:03:57

I'm just curious which cam you installed and what a gasket set costs and what shop installed them and what they charged.
I'm not the wiring guru, stay with these guys,report minor details, you'd be amazed at the things that I fixed because of a detail. Minor stuff. Don't be afraid to try to bore us with details.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/20/15 at 09:10:10

Quote:
I seem to be getting fuel and spark and when i fully choke it it wants to start more so but quickly goes back to just cranking over.

I'd look at the plug, if it looks black or wet... new plug.
Dry? then I'd try starter fluid.

WWW   IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #5 - 05/20/15 at 13:32:24

Gasket set was under 100 i believe by athena. He charged me 220 to put the new gaskets on cam shaft and adjust the valves. I went with a web performance custom made camshaft i ordered directly through them. 180 bucks. Spark plugs wet and black. Pulled out of cylinder and cranked over has good spark. Ill get a new plug tomorrow for what its worth. Thanks. anybody else have any ideas?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/20/15 at 19:26:02

Try to start, no choke, don't twist the gas.
No go, pull choke one bump.
No go,full choke

Tell us about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #7 - 05/21/15 at 15:18:29

Still won't start. Tried no choke bump out and full choke. At full choke it will kick over as if it wants to go but quickly goes back to just cranking. Put new plug in. Kind of stuck on what it is. Thing ran great before the bob project..

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #8 - 05/21/15 at 15:37:34

Could it possibly be my jetting with the new performance web cam? I would think it would still run though. The guy before me jetted it for the cone filter and exhaust mods and it ran great. I can't imagine a hopped up cam would change it enough to not run though..

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 05/21/15 at 16:06:56

Timing?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 05/21/15 at 16:16:16

Quote:
I can't imagine a hopped up cam would change it enough to not run though..

It could if it's not installed correctly - ie. timed right. Or if the guy who did the work adjusted the valves too tight so you've got one or more that aren't closing.

If you are positive you have spark, and a shot of starter fluid in the carb inlet won't get the engine to at least fire for a couple of seconds, then I think something messed up in the valve train is the next place to look.

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #11 - 05/21/15 at 16:18:11

timings eletrical as I'm sure you all know. Way to test it? Maybe he misaligned my cam with the chain? I doubt it but maybe?

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #12 - 05/21/15 at 16:20:56

Hmm I'll have to check the valves and clearances. Don't really want to pull the cover but it's looking like I may have to. I should have just did the engine work myself at this point haha.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 05/21/15 at 17:05:01

Quote:
timings eletrical as I'm sure you all know. Way to test it?

I think Trippah is talking about the valve timing - the cam. The ignition timing is not adjustable and if the plug is firing it's OK.

However, I just reread your first post and noticed this:

Quote:
Well i found a black ground wire connection i forgot to plug in. So i plugged it in..

Where was this wire and where did you plug it in ? I think the ground wires are black with a white trace. There is a solid black wire that runs from the igniter box to the starter relay that does affect the ignition timing when the engine is cranking.

Is your wiring harness original and intact, or has it been modified?

IP Logged
yetimeister
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #14 - 05/21/15 at 17:22:18

Yes the plug is firing fine. I have spark. It's runing from the battery ground to the connection into the wiring harness. Not sure where the other end goes as I'm not looking at the diagram right now. Looks like it runs up though towards the forks in the harness. When I forgot to plug it in it blew one of my 20a fuses and my bike wouldn't crank over until I replaced it. Everything works now but won't start. Just tried starter fluid and same results. Guess it's time to check clearances and if not that pull the cover and check cam alignment. I posted my previous comment before I saw his comment lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:24:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wont start. Electrical?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.