Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie needs help getting savage started (Read 209 times)
Sunshine_smile
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Newbie needs help getting savage started
Reply #15 - 05/22/15 at 16:49:52

I brought the volt meter and its showing 7.72. I'm guessing that's to low?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/22/15 at 17:01:19

Ayupp, about 4.7 or so volts low.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sunshine_smile
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/22/15 at 17:17:32

Ok, well I'll take that back to advance auto parts...I just bought it a week ago.

IP Logged
Sunshine_smile
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/24/15 at 07:21:00

The battery was fully charged charged yesterday. These are the readings I'm receiving today.

Battery 11.45v
Both fuses are .5 ohms
Spark plug is 3.85 ohms

I removed the spark plug and put some oil in the cylinder. Any other recommendations?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 05/24/15 at 07:52:54

A fully charged battery will read 12.5 volts or more with no load on it. No load means either in the bike with the cables connected and everything turned off, or out of the bike with nothing connected to the terminals but your volt meter.

If the battery was at 12.5 or above yesterday and is now down to 11.4, and is installed in the motorcycle, either your battery is no good, or you have a wiring issue that is drawing it down - ie. something is not shutting off when you turn off the key.

It is more likely to be the battery. You need to take it someplace that can properly charge and then load test it. Even a reading of 12.5 volts or more is not a 100% guarantee that the battery is not defective.  Only a load test will tell you that. And even brand new batteries are occasionally found to be not any good.

Did you charge the battery yourself ? Motorcycle batteries need to be charged with a charger that outputs no more than 2 Amps. 1 or 11/2 Amps max is even better. An automotive charger that outputs 15-20 Amps is likely to overheat and ruin a motorcycle battery.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 05/24/15 at 12:17:33

You can charge it and leave the ground cable off. If it drops off then it's the battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sunshine_smile
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/26/15 at 17:22:50

I picked up the new battery today and installed it. All l the lights came on the horn works. I removed the spark plug and sprayed fogging oil into the hole yesterday.

Forgive me for not knowing the technical terms but I tried to turn it on, no luck. I made sure it was in neutral, turned the ignition to on, verified the kill switch was not on, squeezed the clutch and pressed the button to crank it. It made noise like it was starting but it didn't crank. Tried it about 10 times and still not luck. There was a little smoke that came the exhaust once. Any suggestions?

I also seem be having an interesting time bleeding the brakes. I've already replaced the brake pads. I brought brake cleaner to clean the master cylinder Since I saw there was nothing but pebbles of brake fluid.. no actual liquid in there. I unscrewed the bleeder at the bottom, when I did this dark brown brake fluid filed up in the mc...I extracted the fluid, cleaned the master cylinder. I brought a vacum/ bleeder kit from harbour freight but I can't seem to get the fluid moving through the line. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/26/15 at 19:44:45

Sunshine_smile wrote on 05/26/15 at 17:22:50:
Forgive me for not knowing the technical terms but I tried to turn it on, no luck. I made sure it was in neutral, turned the ignition to on, verified the kill switch was not on, squeezed the clutch and pressed the button to crank it. It made noise like it was starting but it didn't crank. Tried it about 10 times and still not luck. There was a little smoke that came the exhaust once. Any suggestions?

could be the decomp adjustment.
hop on the bike put it in 2nd, don't squeeze the clutch and bump it forward till it feels like the engine is turning, stop.
put her in neutral and start it.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/26/15 at 19:50:07

Sunshine_smile wrote on 05/26/15 at 17:22:50:
I also seem be having an interesting time bleeding the brakes. I've already replaced the brake pads. I brought brake cleaner to clean the master cylinder Since I saw there was nothing but pebbles of brake fluid.. no actual liquid in there. I unscrewed the bleeder at the bottom, when I did this dark brown brake fluid filed up in the mc...I extracted the fluid, cleaned the master cylinder. I brought a vacum/ bleeder kit from harbour freight but I can't seem to get the fluid moving through the line. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

so you've filled up the master and you can't suck any thru the bottom?
get some teflon tape, take the bleeder out and wrap the threads.  don't put a lot on, just 2 wraps should be enough.  trim any excess off and put the bleeder back.

if you drained all the fluid out, it's usually pretty hard to get it started again.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 05/26/15 at 20:38:39

Some vacuum line, a quart jar, two tight holes, connect to a vacuum source with one, to the bleed nipple with the other,

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 05/27/15 at 12:51:44

Quote:
It made noise like it was starting but it didn't crank. Tried it about 10 times and still not luck. There was a little smoke that came the exhaust once. Any suggestions?

Quote:
I removed the spark plug and sprayed fogging oil into the hole yesterday.

Try pulling the plug out and confirm that it's sparking. You might have oil fouled it with whatever you sprayed into the cylinder.

If the engine won't start after a couple of tries you need to stop running the starter and figure out what's wrong. Trying to start it over and over with no result is just going to run down the battery.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 05/27/15 at 14:11:37

Actually,it's time to read the voltage of the battery and, yeah, check out the spark. Just because it's sparking when it is out and ground ed against the engine doesn't mean that it's gonna spark when the battery is pushing against compression.
A little bit of ether in the air intake will help you figure out what is going on.
You can even try that before anything else,except checking out the battery.
It's gotta be good,,
These things will spin over and Sound like they are spinning over just fine,but there is just not Quite enough in the battery to fire the plug..
The voltmeter was my first Go To tool any time it didn't wanna play.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:36:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie needs help getting savage started

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.