Send Topic Print
Air Stand (Read 97 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Air Stand
05/19/15 at 09:51:37

I don't like working on a bike while it's on the side stand. I much prefer using a swingarm stand or a center stand as the bike is stable and access is easier when the bike is upright. For major maintenance I have a wooden bike table/bench that gets the bike up off the ground 18" and has multiple anchor points so the bike can be lifted and supported. But what to do with the Savage? What is the best way to support the bike for simple maintenance? Because of the exhaust pipe and brake actuator a traditional swingarm stand will not work and the bike isn't well supported with a lift stand alone.

Allow me to introduce you to the Air Stand. All that is required are some tie-down straps, a bungee chord and some simple anchors. This method supports the bike in a rock-solid fashion and will secure the either the front or rear wheel. If a tire needs to be removed you can use a bottle jack under the bike to lift the non-secured wheel.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Air Stand
Reply #1 - 05/19/15 at 18:56:59

That's about the same way I trailered my bike when I first bought it. I was surprised how solid it was.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/19/15 at 21:46:48

I don't even bungee the front tire (when trailering) just straps from the tree to the tie down points
I've hauled 7 bikes 380 miles on a low boy like that, not a one moved  Grin
as to raising the bike once secured, there's a plate under the bike near the swingarm I refer to as the 'jacking plate' and that's where I put my floor jack, works a treat

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 05/19/15 at 23:07:54

That's very clever. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print