Proper choke function? (Read 80 times)
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Proper choke function?
05/18/15 at 14:17:57

I am slightly perplexed by function of the choke on my 2002 savage.  Usually the choke or more appropriately the enricher will make the idle go up 500-1000 RPM or more on other bikes I've owned.  My savage is acting like the carb is adding too much fuel and it doesn't affect cold idle more than about 200 rpm.

I currently have a new pilot jet in the stock size and am 2.75 turns out on the idle jet screw (or whatever it's called).  My savage has 3 "clicks" or stops on the choke.  For the sake of this post I'll call the first stop out "low", second stop out "partial", and choke pulled all the way out "full".  On a cold engine my highly calibrated ear tachometer says about 800 RPM idle (yes I know this is bad).  If I set the choke at "low" the idle speed up to about 1000 RPM.  when I set it to partial choke the idle goes back down to about the same as no choke 800ish RPM.  Full choke results in even lower idle or stalling.  

What I want to know is how the choke should function.  In other words, is what I'm experiencing normal or should the RPMs jump up to 1500-2000RPM when using the choke?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Proper choke function?
Reply #1 - 05/18/15 at 14:30:55

If I had a clue, I'd be sharing. I'm sure gonna be watching to see what the carb gurus say. I will say this,,, it's easy to twist the idle speed, and low idle is,as you noted, bad.
After I did all the mods it idled so low when it was cold ,even with the choke out, I hadda adjust the idle screw. As it warmed up I'd adjust the idle down.
Easy enough to do riding.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/18/15 at 14:52:24

Mine has full in, full out and midway.
midway bumps the rpms up, full out does not.
occasionally I use midway on those mid 40's mornings.
full out usually kills it.
what can I say, terrible cali weather   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/18/15 at 17:25:55

The rpms will not jump to 1500 on this bike. As soon as my bike starts and has worked into a steady idle I remove the choke and work the throttle. Idle time is minimal and I'm riding as soon as I can. Within a mile I'm warmed up.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 05/18/15 at 17:27:46

Sounds normal to me.

Full in does nothing. Full out smokes and idles erratically. Midway is just right.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/19/15 at 03:17:14

You have to remember....the choke is made so it will start a bike in arctic climates......and summer as well.  If you are only a warm weather rider you may never need to use the choke (fuel enrichment valve) in the full on position.

My bike was properly jetted and ran great, and I almost never had to use the choke to start the bike.  And yes....the idle speed was a bit low until the bike warmed up.  I got geared up, started the bike and held the throttle open a little bit for about 30 seconds to get the oil flowing...then slowly rode away and didn't use a lot of throttle for a few miles as the bike warmed up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/19/15 at 05:10:09

Thanks for the feedback.  It sounds like my choke is functioning as it should.  It's just a little different than I am used to.

WWW   IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/19/15 at 07:15:13

My carb set-up is essentially stock, except for about 2.5 turns on the idle air-mix screw. I start with full choke regardless of temp, it fires right up. After a few seconds, it begins to stumble, and I push it all the way in and pull back out to the first stop, which seems to correspond to half-choke. Idle is smooth at about 1,000 rpm. There is an intermediate stop between full and half, but I don't use it. Regardless of choke position, the idle stays about the same. Riding on half-choke in cool weather, the RPM's will "hang" for a few seconds when engaging the clutch and rolling off the throttle. In warm weather (60+) the choke comes off after about 1-2 miles, and all is normal. Just to note, years ago I had a Honda CB-360T that did the same thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Proper choke function?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.