Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Knowing when to say when... (Read 105 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Knowing when to say when...
05/18/15 at 12:21:28

I had way too many things down at the shop that were in parts/pieces that needed work and it wasn't fun anymore because I was overwhelmed. Was spending too much time working on stuff (and not up at the house visiting with the wife and family) and felt obligated to fix them...and started getting mad because I couldn't seem to ever catch up.

In a little over a week I sold:
- 1959 ford jubilee tractor
- bush hog
- 1985 honda atc 70 3 wheeler
- 1994 polaris 300 4 wheeler

Took that money and bough a running/working arctic cat 250 4 wheeler. Needs a little TLC and maybe rear axle seals, but it runs and drives and I (knock on wood) don't have to work on it.

I did keep my free pressure washer with a burned out pump, and have the new one on the bench ready to install.

My motto is if it doesn't work, I will either fix it immediately or part it out/sell it to someone else.  Having so many 'projects' to the point of it stressing me out is not fun.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Knowing when to say when...
Reply #1 - 05/19/15 at 01:27:01

There is probably a lot of sense in what you say, I've had to do with vintage type vehicles for a long time and I recall a very experienced person who said "one member one car one car on the road, one member two cars no cars on the road". I know there are people who can master multi vehicle collections, but I feel there are many more who can't.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 05/19/15 at 02:59:01

stewmills wrote on 05/18/15 at 12:21:28:
 Having so many 'projects' to the point of it stressing me out is not fun.

Yep, I can certainly relate to that. Being in the process of a move (we are about to get it all done) has certainly given me more projects that I would like to have at once. But I keep knocking at them and eventually I'll get them. Unlike you, there is nothing I can sell/get rid of. I NEED all of this stuff, just have to find a place to put it.  Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/19/15 at 04:21:00

I hate the pressure that having a fleet of old vehicles puts on me, so I have rolled over to newer (less than 4 years old stuff) on the cars.  

It's funny though, when I had my daughter to act as mechanics helper it was all fun to do.   She learned a lot about cars when she was growing up.

Just doing it by myself though is old, very old now.    I'd just as soon not.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/19/15 at 10:25:13

And I'm just the opposite with my cages, if it doesn't have points and a carburetor, I'm no longer fixing them.

So the 92 Ranger, 94 Ranger, 92 K1500 Silverado, 85 C10, 87 C60, 95 Outback and 2006 Vibe are all on the chopping block. I'll get the 72 Super Beetle, 49 and 69 Dodge trucks back in service, and get rid of the computerized junk.

I'd get rid of the diesel tractors too, but, finding good parts for a 3 cylinder vintage John Deere gas burner is an expensive nightmare. $100 electric carburetor needle solenoid went out... "fixed" with a $7 riding mower inline shut off valve. Generator crapped out, replaced with a John Deere alternator, it crapped out, replaced with a Chevy truck alternator... and a battery cut off switch.

Need to get the 57 Panhead down here so when the 03 Savage has a terminal failure like the 98 did, I'll have a working kick only, points ignition replacement.

I didn't care for the late 20th century, and the 21st is shaping up to be an even bigger nightmare.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/19/15 at 20:44:46

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/19/15 at 04:21:00:
I hate the pressure that having a fleet of old vehicles puts on me, so I have rolled over to newer (less than 4 years old stuff) on the cars.  

It's funny though, when I had my daughter to act as mechanics helper it was all fun to do.   She learned a lot about cars when she was growing up.

Just doing it by myself though is old, very old now.    I'd just as soon not.

Doing it for a living did it for me
somebody once said "make your avocation your vocation and you'll be a happy man" what a crock, what it did was take all the joy out of it, now I hate fixing / modifying cars
I will never take a job as a motorcycle mechanic
and I'm with WD on the cars; I'd give a pretty to have my '72 Cutlass back, cracked windshield, one off color fender and all

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/20/15 at 07:13:56

I am tending in that direction as well, on both counts.  The newer cars all go to a really good mechanic & son here locally when they need anything except basic maintenance like oil/filter.  They do stuff for low prices or for nothing at all at times.   
I will be bringing my dads old pickup back here soon for a rebuild.  It is a 75 Chevy with a flatbed he put on it years ago.  A basic 350 engine, 4 spd. with granny 1st gear, all the suspension had the heavier components of the F250's.  No computers & pretty simple compared to stuff now days so the fix should be relatively simple.  That said, we shall see how EASY it will be to bring it back to life.  It's up in the NW corner of the state so it will be an all or most of the day trip to go get it.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/20/15 at 07:41:15

Ah, a Big Ten (or was it the Heavy Half? GM and Chevy both had the model, gave it diferent names) I had one of those, a 76, it was unstoppable and even the AC worked
too bad it got sold when gas was a t it's peak price wise, I miss that truck

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #8 - 05/20/15 at 08:33:51

I know the feeling. I had my "retirement project" in the garage long before I actually retired and relocated.  After a lot of time and $$$ I got it (1937 Packard) on the road and enjoyed it.  Eventually the restoration process got too expensive and I sold it to a friend who would take care of it.    I had wanted a single cylinder for several years and then I found the s40 at the right price.    Soooo.        I need to get a lift so I can get the bike up where I can work (play ?) on it in comfort. (Cold floors and old knees and backs are not a good combination. )

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:30:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Knowing when to say when...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.