Send Topic Print
Supertrapp questions (Read 59 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Supertrapp questions
05/18/15 at 00:51:47

Since bagging the stock muffler and replacing it with a Suppertrapp as soon as I bought the bike, I have been running eight discs and my bike never backfires and runs nice and smooth. But some in here are running up to 14 discs. I was wondering why you chose that many discs? Is there much difference in power? Also I'm getting ready to repack the muffler and I have never had to do this before and was wondering what a pillow pack was because they said it gives a deeper and throatier tone than just the wrap kind. Just curious!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Supertrapp questions
Reply #1 - 05/18/15 at 08:43:57

JOG used to run 14 discs
His bike however was not stock, he had a number of performance enhancements on it, modified airbox, hotter cam, rejetted carb, and maybe a bigger piston?
If your bike is stock that might be too many discs

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/18/15 at 08:56:53

You would get a bit more air flow and MORE sound.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/18/15 at 09:08:34

more disks will lean out the carb, so if you're running rich you can compensate.

I run my trapp naked, but the pack is supposed to muffle the high pitched tones.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/18/15 at 09:11:30

When I bought my bike it had a Supertrapp on it....it was just a bit louder than I liked.  I did repack it and used a fiberglass mat material like you see at all the dealers that sell parts to dirt bikes riders.

Be sure to use Neversieze or another brand of anti-sieze product on the screw threads, as they are both stainless and can "gall" and ruin the threads easily.

If I still had it.....I would be temped to try this.  It appears looser and more likely to absorb sound than the tightly packed mat did.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Muffler-Packing.php

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/18/15 at 13:49:54

Yeah, cam, jetted, Supertrapp with 14 disks. I also gutted the header. The inner wall was gone, long task, long explanation, and some TIG welding to get it back together. The welder was so cool, he appreciated the fact that I was putting every tool exactly where it came from, and had made the cuts in a way that would make putting it back easy and maintain proper angles ..
He didn't charge me..
I wish I had Dyno charts. Stock, and after all the work.
I also wish it had been the center of attention, with some of the tuning gurus here spending some time with it. I suspect that there was a bit more OOOMPH in it without spending any more money.

Be VERY careful with the disk bolts. They get waaaay hot and even if you Did use the anti seize, they are probably going to twist off.
See how they feel, you may need to park it, pull the muffler off, stick it in a can with a  50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid for a few days.

Impact will free a bolt before pure torque. Allen wrench, deep socket, extension, light hammer, delivering short quick blows to about where the end of the allen wrench is in the socket. Hold a load on the allen wrench with the extension, as much as you dare, DO NOT smash it, short, quick blows, whether it moves or not, change direction. Once it starts moving, change direction, don't believe you have won,, I did.. I probably had  4or
5 turns on it when it snapped, so, once it's coming your way, work the bolt, penetrating oil, then light oil, get it free in a place, work from there.

If I could just snap fingers and have something happen, id sure be curious about the difference in sound and performance between the Trapp and Dyna. Maybe you could slap one on, take the pressure off of hurrying the work on the Trapp..like it, keep it, mess up the Trapp,keep it, Heck, mufflers give up eventually, you'd have a backup for twenty bucks or so.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:39:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Supertrapp questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.