Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rider killed 1/2 mile from my office (Read 114 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Rider killed 1/2 mile from my office
05/14/15 at 06:17:16

A motorcycle rider was killed this morning at 3 AM about 1/2 mile from my office.  He is reported to have crossed into the other lanes (4 lane highway without divider) and hit a car head on.  The morning news showed photos of the scene and the little car he hit was a mess - the driver was taken to the hospital but is supposed to be OK.  They don't know why or how long the motorcycle rider was in the wrong lanes.

When I came into work at 6 AM there was nothing to indicate the tragic event that occurred 3 hours earlier.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/05/14/one-killed-in-nky-motorcycle-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Rider killed 1/2 mile from my office
Reply #1 - 05/14/15 at 07:44:46

I've always believed that nothing good happens on a motorcycle between 10pm and 6am. Doze off for a half second while driving a car late at night and it scares the heck out of you...do the same on a bike and you're on the ground or in a tree.

I don't ride at night.  I don't ride if I've had as much as a sip of beer. I don't ride if the weather is going to influence me to make a bad decision.

It's good to be haunted (for a moment at least) by the tragic outcomes of other decisions if it helps us to make informed decisions.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 05/14/15 at 08:29:36

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/14/15 at 07:44:46:
I've always believed that nothing good happens on a motorcycle between 10pm and 6am. Doze off for a half second while driving a car late at night and it scares the heck out of you...do the same on a bike and you're on the ground or in a tree.

I don't ride at night.  I don't ride if I've had as much as a sip of beer. I don't ride if the weather is going to influence me to make a bad decision.

It's good to be haunted (for a moment at least) by the tragic outcomes of other decisions if it helps us to make informed decisions.

Words to live by there. Literally

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/14/15 at 09:36:08

I drove out past the accident site on the way to look at a paving project, and the only thing that shows is some oil stains on the pavement.

Here is a video that shows the bike and car.

http://on.aol.com/video/cincinnati--ohio-motorcyclist-killed-in-head-on-colli...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/14/15 at 17:34:30

That's a hard hit. Bending the front of a car like that is not easy.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=motorcycle+slices+into+side+of+car&id=759...

This was just beyond my ability to even believe possible.
And I've seen one other that is incredible, but I can't find it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/14/15 at 21:11:54

I ride at night,
I work at night, so if i ride to work I'm riding home at night. of course, I have never fallen asleep, even for a second, on a bike

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/15/15 at 03:43:43

We have deer issues around here to contend with after dark, and I tend to only ride after dark when the wife and I are returning from our Friday night "date" night.  It is pretty common when I drive to work in the morning to see the deer road kill that happened when the semi-trucks have taken another one out.

One evening I was out riding and checking out my new tires, and I called a friend on my Sena headset using my phone as it was just getting dark.  I was on a curvy back road that is popular for riding.  When he found out I was on the bike he told me to "hang up and ride....and watch out for deer".  At the next road I turned to head back home, and about 8 deer ran across the road.  I was going pretty slow as this road was not all that well paved....there were car headlights in my rear view mirror and it was not too close behind me.  Within a quarter mile another 10-12 deer ran across the road, and then in a short distance another large group of deer crossed in front of me.  When I got back on the main road I stopped at a gas station, and a car pulled in to the other pump - he asked me how I liked all the deer.....he was the one behind me on that road.  I have never seen so many deer on a short section of road like that.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/15/15 at 09:40:40

I had an encounter close enough I coul hear his little hooves on the road, full coverage helmet, Supertrapp muff, 14 disks, noisy bike, quiet helmet, he was under 6 feet away, broad daylight, 4 lane ,just 3 blocks away from a store, and highway 80,

My wifes Honda had a scuff on the passenger side mirror, a deer jumped over the car as she drove, I was behind, on the bike. It jumped , flew over the hoodas the car passed and clipped the mirror with a rear hoof.

Both places were" undeveloped " in that they were still wooded and connected to some open acres, but still well trafficked.

SO, there are seemingly " places where I wouldn't EXPECT to see a deer"
But being wrong can be very bad.
The moral?
Just being in town and broadd daylight doesn't mean you can relax.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/15/15 at 10:21:40

Plenty of deer here too, and yes, I have seen deer in the residential areas of a major city (Austin) at night
I also see them crossing roads in broad daylight, though you can see them better then
If I never rode after dark, I'd only ride 2x a week at best
That wouldn't be incentive enough for me to keep a bike

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/15/15 at 10:32:08

The very same day I bought my new Savage back in 2003 it was pouring down raining and I was doing a currier service for a hospital part time.  I was in my car and thinking about how much fun this ride would be on a nice day, and then BAM!  A deer jumped right out in front of me and totaled my car. I hit him at about 60 mph and most of him was in my grill. A good lesson learned because several other times  over the years while riding ,I remembered that and slowed way down while on country roads and still came close to crashing into one that would jump out onto the highway. I fear deer as much as I do cars and trucks!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 05/16/15 at 01:40:08

I feel the same about kangaroos. Not keen on riding at night in the country. There's just too many of them to be worth risking hitting one. I saw hundreds of them on a night road trip a couple weeks ago.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/16/15 at 12:04:23

A lot of fellas in my town have stingers on their trucks, even if they're 2 wheel drive, on account of the deer
for those who don't know what a stinger is, it's  a loop of heavy duty tubing that extends our and up from you (tube) front bumber, so if you hit a big critter it gets knocked down instead of rolling up your hood

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/16/15 at 12:29:30

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/deer-whistle-warning-device-mac-p=22...

Value, function, I have no idea. I've seen quite a few. I don't remember seeing one on a deer bent car. The only thing that can be proven is when they failed. Nobody can know the times they worked. And if a guy hit a deer while using one, who's to say the deer didn't hear and was trying to decide what to do when it literally became the deer in the headlight.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 05/16/15 at 22:14:35

That's the problem with deer, they're totally unpredictable, like a roach
Scare em, and they may run right at you
My Ninja 500's exhaust sound scared them if I revved it, I think it sounded like a growl to them, but sometimes they'd run raight at me at first

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 19:22:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rider killed 1/2 mile from my office

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.