Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Previous owners i tell ya (Read 211 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Previous owners i tell ya
Reply #15 - 05/13/15 at 15:03:33

Okay! You win the prize for buying the worst maintained Savage I've heard of. I can't imagine removing the rear brake shoes,, talk about idiocy taken to an art form,, wow..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/13/15 at 18:38:19

Art Webb wrote on 05/13/15 at 09:55:50:
actually the cars in the old days had an accelerator pump to bridge the gap

What is your idea of "old days".........I am not sure when the accelerator pump showed up - but I can show you a lot of brass era cars that don't have any accelerator pump.

I know cars in the 50's had accelerator pumps - I don't know how much earlier.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #17 - 05/13/15 at 19:32:34

I bought a year old car that had been repoed in the southern states and sat up here in Canada for a few months before I bought it from a dealer. It had a mouses nest in the cabin filter, the air filter, and under the back seat.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #18 - 05/13/15 at 19:34:00

Dave's right on very old cars not having Accelerator pumps. Zenith used a sort of vacuum system cheap Tillotson's didn't have pumps and Model A Fords had a knob you could enrich with from the dashboard.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 05/13/15 at 19:35:53

You could also adjust the timing manually from the steering wheel.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #20 - 05/14/15 at 03:25:49

arteacher wrote on 05/13/15 at 19:32:34:
It had a mouses nest in the cabin filter, the air filter, and under the back seat.

If it was fitted with a Cat converter, problem solved  Grin

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #21 - 05/14/15 at 05:36:22

Lulz, iv been having spider problems with the savage. they love to make webs on it and I have no idea where they are coming from. I almost wrecked one what when a nickel sized jumping spider was sitting on my mirror

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 05/14/15 at 21:24:46

Dave wrote on 05/13/15 at 18:38:19:
Art Webb wrote on 05/13/15 at 09:55:50:
actually the cars in the old days had an accelerator pump to bridge the gap

What is your idea of "old days".........I am not sure when the accelerator pump showed up - but I can show you a lot of brass era cars that don't have any accelerator pump.

I know cars in the 50's had accelerator pumps - I don't know how much earlier.  

well I'm old and I'm a 1966 model lol
You said old, you didn't mention a specific year  Wink
the Model T was actually the first car a driver of today would have the slightest notion of how to drive
A lot of carts back then had hand throttles like a boat, and the other controls were often more bizarre, for what I've seen
now I wanna google it and see when the accelerator pump was added to automotive carbs
oddly, the Rebel still has one

edit, tried googling, no answer, google sucks  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 05/14/15 at 22:11:48

Kawasaki W 650 has one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 05/14/15 at 22:26:39

Art Webb, I can't give an answer as to when the accelerator pump first appeared, but it was in use in the mid 'twenties and in quite widespread use by the late 'twenties on a number of mid price range cars, including the Whippet Six. An ordinary driver would have much fun and games attempting to drive a Model T without a very experienced tutor who had logged a good many hours in one.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 05/15/15 at 03:19:56

I have driven a lot of early brass era cars......and the Model T is the toughest one to drive.  Three pedals on the floor is just not something any modern driver can adapt to very quickly.

The right pedal is the foot brake.  The left pedal is the gears.....middle position is neutral, down is low gear and all the way out is high gear.  The middle pedal is reverse.  When you pull on the hand brake it moves the left pedal to neutral.....when you release the hand brake you have to have your left foot on the gear pedal to keep it in neutral.  When you want to move you have to push the left pedal down for low gear....then once up to speed you let the pedal all the way out for high gear.  To reverse you use your left foot to hold the left gear pedal in neutral - then you use your right foot to push the middle pedal down for reverse gear.  You can push the right brake pedal at any time to slow the car down.

I can tell you that when you get in a jamb and your instinct kicks in......and you mash down on the left gear pedal with your left foot and also mash down on the right brake pedal with your right foot (like you would with a normal clutch and brake transmission).....low gear is stronger than the brakes and you will just drive right through the intersection as the traffic light turns red! Shocked

1923-Model-T-pedals.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 05/15/15 at 09:21:29

Dave said

.low gear is stronger than the brakes and you will just drive right through the intersection as the traffic light turns red!

Heres how I read it

.low gear is stronger than the brakes and you will just rocket right through the intersection as the traffic light turns red asthe car uncontrollably accelerates toward its top speed, a speed so fast that people worried whether or not humans could survive even Going that fast, or whether they might just fly right off the edge of the flat earth.

Yes, Dave, I've taken liberties, my apologies, just having fun.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 05/15/15 at 10:28:07

yup, cable operated rear wheel only brakes suck donkey jewels  Grin
but try earlier cars, with tillers instead of steering wheels, and only three of those Grin
so according to JC stokes the mid twenties average car had an accelerator pump
that qualifies as the old days 'far as I'm concerned, as the automobile not even 20 yet  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 05/16/15 at 04:25:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/15/15 at 09:21:29:
Low gear is stronger than the brakes and you will just rocket right through the intersection as the traffic light turns red as the car uncontrollably accelerates toward its top speed, a speed so fast that people worried whether or not humans could survive even Going that fast, or whether they might just fly right off the edge of the flat earth.

Yes, Dave, I've taken liberties, my apologies, just having fun.

I am pretty sure that is how my female office manager in the passenger seat relates the experience.....it was her first ride in an antique car (and most likely her last). Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 18:12:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Previous owners i tell ya

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.