Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Did Carb Mods, Still Backfires (Read 427 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Did Carb Mods, Still Backfires
Reply #30 - 06/04/15 at 21:52:23

Well,Kenny, I had a cam, bigger jets, gutted header, only the outside pipe, Supertrapp w/14 disks and rode the snot outta that thing, I got 49,,
My girl got 51.
I never messed with the TEV,,
The low growling and snarling sounded great.
No gunshot between gears, sometimes a muted whoof on shutting down.
I could ride by horses or by a hospital, the noise level was not getting me dirty looks at intersections.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #31 - 06/04/15 at 22:03:27

Justin,

All of my riding is on the rural roads of North Texas and I am constantly braking and changing gears so I don't expect to get the best possible gas mileage that an S40 can get. Sometimes I don't even hit fifth gear for 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

I am satisfied with 47 MPG, naturally I would like better mileage

Kenny G

« Last Edit: 06/08/15 at 17:32:47 by Kenny G »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 06/05/15 at 06:53:34

Well, I was running into town and my roads s allowed speeds that made fifth part of it. If you're wringing it out and having fun and you're downshifting and cornering and accelerating and then its time to drop a gear And do it again, your 47 is fine. And you otta be giggling. That is the kind of road where you can pick a corner and focus on one corner, play with different entry lines and exits and see if you can get consistent. I was grinding pegs, but one day hit a corner and I leaned out more and the bike,less, and it felt smoother and faster. I never got consistent,really, except for the fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #33 - 06/05/15 at 07:54:53

I average 45 mpg right now, but that may have to do with my mid-range being finicky so I ride with the throttle open more

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #34 - 06/08/15 at 17:32:20

June 8, 2015

Today I removed the Ace Hardware #90 Spring and replaced it with an Ace #86 Spring. The #86 Compression Spring is cone shaped and is the closest thing that I can find to a Progressively Wound Spring. The major diameter is about 1/2" and the overall length is equivalent to the #90 Spring, about .700. The  smaller diameter is about 1/4" OD. By "feel" I cannot tell if the #86 Spring is softer or more rigid than the #90 Spring, but I think it is more rigid.

The spring fits best in the diaphragm if the smaller diameter goes in first.

The first thing that I noticed after starting the engine was that the idle speed was 2000 RPM, so I suspect the #86 Spring is more rigid than the #90. I slowed the idle down to about 1200 RPM and went for a test ride. I had just a little more popping with the #86 than with the #90 Spring when up shifting. There is very little intermittent popping on down shifting, but still no popping on deceleration.

When I returned home I adjusted the Idle Air Screw using  the accepted procedure, and then reset the idle speed to about 1150 RPM. The idle air screw is now turned out about 2 1/4 turns. I went for another test ride and there is still a small amount of popping when up shifting. Once in a while there is a little popping on deceleration. I am sure that true progressively wound spring with the soft end facing out will correct this situation, but it is going to take some time to find a supplier who will sell me a few springs of various wire sizes.

The after firing is so much improved over how it was initially that I am happy with the results. I am going to leave well enough alone for another tank or two of fuel.

The next test I want to try is adding a washer under the Ace #90 Spring.

If anyone has any ideas as to where I can procure a few Progressively Wound Springs I am interested in hearing from you.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:17:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Did Carb Mods, Still Backfires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.