Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
valve clearance adjustment (Read 128 times)
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
valve clearance adjustment
05/12/15 at 09:43:32

it is the last ting to do on my list,but i think i might go a few more miles as the bike only has 1900 miles   2009 bought new in 2012 i just got it as second owner .

usually the clearance gets larger during break in and i do not hear much tappet noise .i would like all the reply s  i could get  thanks

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: valve clearance adjustment
Reply #1 - 05/12/15 at 12:52:21

in my experience the clearance shrinks, but I never had a brand new bike, either
I've heard that a new bike's clearances sometimes open up at first as parts  wear, but when I checked mine on my 07 with 4500 on the clock. they were tight

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/12/15 at 12:58:11

I don't know if there is any guarantee on the tight/loose issue on the Savage as it ages.

Cam/rocker wear, and wear on the tip of the adjuster would make things loosen up.

Wear on the valve or seat faces, or stretching of the valve stem would make things tighten up.

Most of the folks consider doing an adjustment when the valve "ticking" gets their attention.....so for some of the folks the clearance does get bigger as they ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #3 - 05/12/15 at 13:43:25

thanks all .I hope we can get a fair # of posts and see what the concusses might be . sometimes its better not to mess with things .

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/12/15 at 13:51:33

I only adjust mine when the noise starts to bug me, or I am horribly bored, or I had the top open for some other reason (in which case, you have to adjust them).  
So.. not often.  
I just did the valves on Thumper for the 1st reason.  2 valves were just a tad loose, 1 valve was a tad tight, and the 4th one was right on.
The last time I adjusted them was .. 40,000 miles ago?  Something like that.  I would have to check my records.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/12/15 at 13:52:14

The adjuster is pointed like a dull pencil. As time passes it gets mashed and mushrooms out a bit. That increases clearance. The tip slows down in changing shape. The area increases and the metal work hardens. Miles between adjustments increases. Cam wear or rocker wear increases clearance.
If the valve seat wasnt pressed fully into place at the factory then clearance could drop below minimum recommendations from the valve spring slapping it shut pounding the seat into its land. Valve wear,where it hits the seat decreases clearance, but it is miniscule.
At 5,and 10 thousand miles they were sloppy. At 15, not so bad, at 20, still in spec.

If there's a valve adjustment sticky,
Just saying.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #6 - 05/12/15 at 14:43:54

i did do a leakdown compression test, and cold it was 79/80 so all the valves and the decomp are working great i also run 100LL avgas so seat erosion will be slight due to the large amount of lead in the fuel also using zddp the red stuff just add to get it up to spec  30ml per oil change using valveoline 20/50 full syn mc oil sw fl its 92 in the shade today and most days

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #7 - 05/12/15 at 16:35:20

If you have the tank off you might as well take the few minutes it requires to check the valve clearance.  Chances are they are fine but you don't know if you don't check.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 05/14/15 at 01:31:05

There are posts here by people who have made specially shaped gauges to make this job easier.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/14/15 at 03:17:34

jcstokes wrote on 05/14/15 at 01:31:05:
There are posts here by people who have made specially shaped gauges to make this job easier.

You can buy loose/separate feeler gauge stock from Graingers, McMaster-Carr, etc.  You just bend it the way it works best.

It makes the job as easy as it can be.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/14/15 at 19:31:27

I took the ones I wanted out of the assembly, bent to kinda a Z shape, bent a Ski tip on the end..
Tight quarters, I felt uncertain the first time and second,, I spent lots of time making sure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 05/14/15 at 19:53:44

Off the top of my head I think Suzuki recommends checking every 5000 miles. If you're really bored, go ahead and use their spec. Otherwise, a smooth engine is a good engine.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:18:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve clearance adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.