Send Topic Print
Anyone need.... (Read 307 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Anyone need....
Reply #15 - 05/14/15 at 20:41:48

Fun, utility,economy, it's everything I'd expect from Paladin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 05/14/15 at 20:58:13

Paladin. wrote on 05/14/15 at 12:42:14:
Art Webb wrote on 05/13/15 at 07:46:43:
... Front rack? what's that? I never saw a scooter with a front rack, just a windshield, fender, and a teeny wheel like a piano caster
of course this excludes some more current models and the big scooters
Front rack:   http://www.andruschak.net/Scooters/shopping-hoe.jpg
The Vespa has a steel monocoque body instead of a separate frame plus body panels like most scooters.  Which means that front rack is frame mounted and is quite solid.

My scoot is a shopping cart.  Has storage under the seat, 10 pounds of potatoes with spare for more.  Scooter tail boxes are smooth and roundy and cost $200 plus -- I have a 8-gallon Rubbermaid storage box, $25 plus $10 for mounting hardware and a pair of padlocks.  I don't know what I had in the box, but the 5 liter box of wine wouldn't fit, and the 30 pound case of bottles does not bother me.
http://www.andruschak.net/Scooters/shopping-beer.jpg

Well I'll be dogged, never have seen one of those before, learned something new today Smiley
now as far as your Rubbermaid 'trunk', I have the exact same one, bought originally for my old EX 500 (sat across the seat and attached to the grab bar with U bolts, looked goofy, worked well)
It'd likely fit the rear rack on my XS quite well, also
I cam awful close to buyimng a big scooter (Bergman 400 I think it was, or maybe Majesty) for those exact same reasons, comfy, utilitarian, and built in storage
I with that had worked out, seemed like a good way to go about 2 wheeling

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #17 - 05/15/15 at 12:56:08

Yup, looks like a good scoot to have! Whats the top end on it? I've seen some 300 scoots that can do 90mph...
I have a MAJOR 4 lane I have to travel all the time with folks that can't seem to go under 60mph at times (6-8am and 4-7pm).
I'm always looking for higher mileage and versatility, plus the weight factor for that thing has to be great!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/16/15 at 12:14:46

the 400 I test rode got up to 80 deceptively fast and was super easy to handle, though the centrifugal clutch takes getting used to (love the CVT though)
I put it on the center stand easier than any moto I ever rode

Me n Old Rider may wind op scooter buddies  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 05/16/15 at 15:58:15

My neighbor has large Suzuki 800 V-twin cruiser motorcycle, and a Suzuki 650 Burghman scooter.  He likes the scooter much better than the V-twin, and has over 100,000 miles on the scooter.  He loads it up and rides it like a touring bike.....we just got him some stronger springs for the forks as he loads it up heavy and only had an inch of fork travel left when sitting still.

« Last Edit: 05/17/15 at 03:42:48 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #20 - 05/16/15 at 22:11:02

I didn't know they went to 800 now, last I knew 650 was the top displacement
but yeah, they're nice, everyone i know that went from a bike to a scooter recommends doing the same
I even thought about getting a small one tostart, and then if I like it as much as I think I will, moving up, but nah, then I'd have to sell the little one  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 05/17/15 at 03:46:38

Art Webb wrote on 05/16/15 at 22:11:02:
I didn't know they went to 800 now, last I knew 650 was the top displacement
but yeah, they're nice, everyone i know that went from a bike to a scooter recommends doing the same
I even thought about getting a small one tostart, and then if I like it as much as I think I will, moving up, but nah, then I'd have to sell the little one  Grin

Art....I may have said that in a way that made you think he had an 800cc scooter - so I fixed it.  His motorcycle is an 800 Suzuki Volusia.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 05/17/15 at 07:37:19

Oh, derp, I am easily confused, thanks for clarifying

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 05/17/15 at 09:43:09

Well, after much searching the net and local listings... I might actually think about getting a Vespa, heck they would do well on regular blacktops.
I am not sure I would interstate one for long distances, but would be really interesting taking a long tour using just state roads.
Here is a you tube on the GTS250 top speed...

And a local craigslist ad has a fairly cheap one.... but I am not sure if the forward luggage rack is available for the front on the GTS250.
http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/mcy/4986734013.html

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 05/17/15 at 09:49:58

Wow, 80 MPH from a 250, impressive
If I could find one here within the limits of my CC I'd be tempted for sure
Of course it's have to be from a dealer for the CC to work, so maybe a trade  Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/17/15 at 10:02:41

all that and the fool did it one handed.

so must ride fairly well.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #26 - 05/17/15 at 22:12:26

Art Webb wrote on 05/14/15 at 20:58:13:
... I cam awful close to buyimng a big scooter (Bergman 400 I think it was, or maybe Majesty) for those exact same reasons, comfy, utilitarian, and built in storage

Yeah, but....  

My first bike was a Honda Sport 50, real motorcycle, clutch, not a semi-auto step-thru Honda Cub 50.  Looked at the Super Scoots in '04, practical, smooth, capable, but I couldn't see myself on one and got the Savage instead.  (Which I figure is about the best motorcycle ever.)  My body doesn't want to swing a leg over a saddle no more.  But I DO miss that instant move when the traffic signal goes green.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #27 - 05/17/15 at 22:41:53

old_rider wrote on 05/15/15 at 12:56:08:
Yup, looks like a good scoot to have! Whats the top end on it? I've seen some 300 scoots that can do 90mph...
I have a MAJOR 4 lane I have to travel all the time with folks that can't seem to go under 60mph at times (6-8am and 4-7pm).
I'm always looking for higher mileage and versatility, plus the weight factor for that thing has to be great!
Mine is a 150, actually 150.46cc and is 50-State freeway/Interstate legal.    55 mph is no problem, 60 mph is lazy, 65 mph is eventually.

First run over the Grapevine, WOT, I only got 60 mpg.  Hold to a hair under WOT, averaging about 62 mph, I get 70-75 mpg.

With the stock 120/70-10 rear tire I did an actual 65 mph, an indicated 72 mph, at which point I hit a rev-limiter.  I now have a 130/70-10, go maybe 68 mph actual at an indicated 75-76 mph, with the rev-limiter at maybe 77 mph which I haven't hit yet.

L.A. streets generally run 10-15 mph over the posted speeds.  Doing an indicated 50 in a 35 zone I have to watch my butt.  At right now, looking at Sigalert.com, at 10 pm on a Sunday, traffic is running 65-70 mph.  On the freeways in light traffic I am on the right, passing slower vehicles.  In heavy traffic I am in whatever lane is fastest, and actually have gone into the Diamond Lanes.  I wanted less weight, and the 150 is about 250 pounds, wet.

The big frame Vespa is 250/300 (actual  244/278cc) weighs about 330 pounds, same as a 250 cruiser, and like a 250cc cruiser can do 75+ mph easily and generally can touch 85.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #28 - 05/17/15 at 23:22:03

old_rider wrote on 05/17/15 at 09:43:09:
... I am not sure I would interstate one for long distances, but would be really interesting taking a long tour using just state roads....

Depends on how sane you are.
Moon Ride: 370 miles between dinner and breakfast.

2014 I got tired, and took a snooze 3am-6am.  Got to see the desert in daytime!

I have been insane for a long time, Second Moon Ride

This year June Full Moon is morning of the 2nd, which is still too cool to ride.  I'll be making the ride July 1 - July 2.  

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 05/18/15 at 07:58:19

Paladin. wrote on 05/17/15 at 22:12:26:
Art Webb wrote on 05/14/15 at 20:58:13:
... I cam awful close to buyimng a big scooter (Bergman 400 I think it was, or maybe Majesty) for those exact same reasons, comfy, utilitarian, and built in storage

Yeah, but....  

My first bike was a Honda Sport 50, real motorcycle, clutch, not a semi-auto step-thru Honda Cub 50.  Looked at the Super Scoots in '04, practical, smooth, capable, but I couldn't see myself on one and got the Savage instead.  (Which I figure is about the best motorcycle ever.)  My body doesn't want to swing a leg over a saddle no more.  But I DO miss that instant move when the traffic signal goes green.

That instant move is one of the few concerns I have
the other is 'backroad fun'
leaned over in a tight curve on a moto feels right, I'm not sure if leaned into the same curve on a scoot would
Also I'm not always kind to my ride
One of the things I like about my XS11 over the S40 is the ability to stand up on the pegs riding down off a curb (I park on the sidewalk at my place) I suspect a scooter wouldn't appreciate that treatment
Probably I should be on a Dual sport lol

still, the scooter has so much going for it, including that big splash guard when there's puddles on the ground
I had no idea a 150 was 50 state hwy legal, there's a place in Houston that sells cheap Chinese 150 scooters, and according to them their's aren't highway legal
I gotta respect them telling me that, they cost themselves a sale

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:31:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Anyone need....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.