Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting Discovery (Read 110 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Interesting Discovery
05/10/15 at 11:20:23

Hey, Everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, been busy with other priorities. Now that the sun's out and (good) riding weather has returned, my S40 has reminded me of the little annoyances that I've just learned to live with. You know - the weak midrange, the long warm-ups, the afterfiring on roll-off and shutoff. A friend (HD rider) told me about a little country gas station that now sells non-ethanol unleaded gas exclusively. Well, I tried some and - many of those annoying problems went away (or were less noticeable). The power band seems smoother and stronger also. Anyone else out there have a similar experience? Maybe these bikes just don't like ethanol.

BTW, this little place in Ollala, WA saw about 20 other bikes parked there that day. They also serve beer and pizza. Looks like it's a pleasant biker hang-out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Interesting Discovery
Reply #1 - 05/10/15 at 12:26:15

The bike is jetted pretty lean in the mid-range....just as you begin to roll on the throttle.  Ethanol makes this worse as it requires a richer fuel mixture.

You need to rejet your carb and replace the white spacer on the needle with 2 or 3 washers (#4 screw size washers).  Try 3 to start and it it still has a bit of hesitation as you slowly roll on the throttle - then take out one washer and use 2.  I had the best result on my bike with a #50 pilot jet and #150 main jet......I am at an elevation between 500 and 900 feet about sea level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 05/10/15 at 16:34:50

I read a technical reason why somewhere but I forget what it was. Basically, like Dave said, ethanol will require a richer AFR. Since our engine was designed before ethanol was prevalent, "pure" gas will make it run a bit better.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/11/15 at 10:41:05

Basically while ethanol is higher octane than gasoline, it has fewer calories, so it takes more of it ti make the same energy, resulting in the need to burn more for the same result

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 05/14/15 at 09:56:29

Art Webb wrote on 05/11/15 at 10:41:05:
Basically while ethanol is higher octane than gasoline, it has fewer calories

Technically it's BTU's, not calories...but the concept is correct.

It's like tuning a two-stroke bike with premix. The lower the fuelShockedil ratio, the leaner the mixture. I can't tell you how many people have told me that they run 32:1 and need to rejet to get a little lean, and I've told then to try going to 28:1 or 24:1 as it's the same thing.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 00:25:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Interesting Discovery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!