Exhaust question (Read 354 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Re: Exhaust question
Reply #15 - 05/08/15 at 16:02:40

That video is killing me!!!! Grin
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #16 - 05/08/15 at 23:54:38

12 inch glasspack (no packing) and a 29 inch long fishtail pipe after it. Long weld in "stick stopper" (chopper) baffle tube at the end of the round section. Sounds like a real deal English thumper circa 1940s to mid 1960s.

A 38 inch long piece of chain link fence top rail, angle cut to 75 degrees, makes a Savage sound EXACTLY like a single engine Huey UH-1... and will set off car alarms in a 50 foot radius.  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #17 - 05/09/15 at 00:29:13

I started with a RYCA header and 19" reverse cone muffler on the bobber. Swapped it out for a custom setup. Started with a 6" baffle welded in mid pipe and it was perfectly quiet but to much baffle and I lost most of my mid to top end response. Tore it apart 3 times relocating and shortening the baffle and never found that sweet spot.

image_259.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #18 - 05/09/15 at 00:33:06

Tired of cutting open the exhaust to "adjust" the baffle I decided to 90 thru the frame and dump out the left side. Ended up with 30" of pipe length and settled with a slightly drilled out crumb cup. And it's perfect. Just the right sound without having that drum thumping back tone or rasp yet loud enough to hear me coming. The crumb cup gave me the right amount of baffling that I only had to adjust the idle mix screw a tad bit.

image_260.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #19 - 05/09/15 at 00:34:46

Dump side

Note*
Now the right side of the rear is open to a hardtail bag that can carry an auxiliary fuel can. Having that made now should be done soon.

image_261.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #20 - 05/09/15 at 02:43:12

I found the youtube clip that Dave posted really informative - geez there's a lot of other mis-information about exhausts out there. I could never get my head around all the talk of backpressure.  I now get why the straight pipe won't work well, even if you baffle it. I'm off to redo my straight pipe...

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #21 - 05/09/15 at 04:32:13

WD wrote on 05/08/15 at 23:54:38:
12 inch glasspack (no packing) and a 29 inch long fishtail pipe after it. Long weld in "stick stopper" (chopper) baffle tube at the end of the round section. Sounds like a real deal English thumper circa 1940s to mid 1960s.

A 38 inch long piece of chain link fence top rail, angle cut to 75 degrees, makes a Savage sound EXACTLY like a single engine Huey UH-1... and will set off car alarms in a 50 foot radius.  Grin

WD I have to say you litterally hit the nail on the head for the sound im wanting with the 40s to mid 60s english thumper. Any part specifics? But also.. I like the idea of a huey... My inner child says helicopter lol

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 05/11/15 at 08:31:44

Neilap wrote on 05/09/15 at 04:32:13:
WD wrote on 05/08/15 at 23:54:38:

WD I have to say you litterally hit the nail on the

head for the sound im wanting with the 40s to mid 60s english thumper. Any part specifics? But also.. I like the idea of a huey... My inner child says helicopter lol

Well, you cannot go wrong with that inner child.   Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 05/12/15 at 08:14:50

Part specifics? Any Harley aftermarket catalog has them. Generic 12" glasspack and a generic 29" fishtail pipe, add a couple Autozone or similar pipe adapters. Weld it up, tune the sound with copper or stainless steel pot scrubbers, dropped in at the head end of the assembly.

The scrubbies don't last very long, tend to come out on fire...  Cool

Finished pipe looks like... ...I hate chrome exhausts.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #24 - 05/12/15 at 12:24:41

Well, you cannot go wrong with that inner child.   Grin [/quote]

True, and my ride to work is very un-populated so disturbances arent that high given jacked up trucks with straightpipes and gutted cat's are found everywhere you look. But I am curious Lancer I was reading through posts and do you still sell those bored out jugs and pistons to match?

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #25 - 05/12/15 at 12:26:38

WD wrote on 05/12/15 at 08:14:50:
Part specifics? Any Harley aftermarket catalog has them. Generic 12" glasspack and a generic 29" fishtail pipe, add a couple Autozone or similar pipe adapters. Weld it up, tune the sound with copper or stainless steel pot scrubbers, dropped in at the head end of the assembly.

The scrubbies don't last very long, tend to come out on fire...  Cool

Finished pipe looks like... http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y490/mphsgal/Jeffs%20pix/Sam/f4e723a2-349... hate chrome exhausts.

im kinda curious on what inlet/outlet diameter's id be looking for to keep from using adapters with a huge difference in them

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 05/12/15 at 15:10:09

Neilap wrote on 05/12/15 at 12:24:41:
Well, you cannot go wrong with that inner child.   Grin

True, and my ride to work is very un-populated so disturbances arent that high given jacked up trucks with straightpipes and gutted cat's are found everywhere you look. But I am curious Lancer I was reading through posts and do you still sell those bored out jugs and pistons to match? [/quote]

Yes I do.  There is a correction though, the jug is the one you send to me.    
For both the camshafts and jugs, there are hardly any in decent condition for a reasonable price available on the market so it is necessary that you send me yours in order to make the camshaft/big bore needed.  The price is $575 for the Big Bore High Compression Set.  

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #27 - 05/12/15 at 16:21:43

For both the camshafts and jugs, there are hardly any in decent condition for a reasonable price available on the market so it is necessary that you send me yours in order to make the camshaft/big bore needed.  The price is $575 for the Big Bore High Compression Set.  
[/quote]

I will get with you on that later. what all do you offer? since I will more than likely be doing all my upgrades in steps as the money rolls in.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 05/13/15 at 07:31:44

Neilap wrote on 05/12/15 at 16:21:43:

I will get with you on that later. what all do you offer? since I will more than likely be doing all my upgrades in steps as the money rolls in. [/quote]

Savage Beast Performance Package

-Performance Camshaft: ... the 3 profiles available are a moderate midrange and higher midrange that I call Stage 1 & Stage 2.  Stage 3 is also available, which is a combo of 1&2 with the duration of Stage 1 and the higher lift of Stage 2.  The machine work is done by Webcam Inc. which does a Hard Weld cam lobe surface, in business for over 60 years.
**Your cam core in exchange is required to make the Performance Camshafts.  ($50 core charge otherwise)
Shipping cost is included in the price.  ($299 ebay/$269 here)

-Performance Carburetor Kit: ... Includes 36mm Mikuni VM Performance Carburetor; custom throttle cable by Barnett; new rubber mounting flange; Sudco/Mikuni Carburetor Manual (lots of info on carb theory, tuning, jetting, exploded parts views and part numbers, etc...a virtual carb course); Jet Pak with 4-5 extra pilot jets and 9-10 extra main jets; main jet tool; spark plug; fuel filter.  ($429 ebay/$389 here)

-Big Bore Kit:...Includes forged high compression piston and bored cylinder to match.  The pistons range from 95mm (665cc), 96mm (680cc) & 97mm (695cc).  Compression ratio with these pistons is raised from the stock 8.5:1 to 10.5:1.  The cylinders are reworked by Bore Tech, and includes boring, honing, silicone carbide treatment to cylinder wall, bead blasted and painted black.  The silicone carbide treatment significantly reduces friction and heat which increases power, and cylinder life is increased by a factor of 10X.  The larger bore and especially the boost in compression ratio adds a significant increase in power.  
**Your usable cylinder required   ($575 ebay/$525 here)

-Reworked Cylinder Head:... Hand lapping of valves (includes new valve stem seals) & intake/exhaust porting to maximize air flow to increase power and efficiency.  The head is blasted on the outside and inside the ports as well.  $250

If you purchase a head from me ( if available ) then that cost is separate and will be determined based upon the condition of the head.
(camshaft is purchased separately)

**Higher milage engines often require new or reworked rockers.  Rockers can be Hard Welded by Webcam if additional durability is desired. 
Heavy duty racing valve springs kit with titanium keepers is also available.

-Standard Rocker set ($110)
-Hard welded rockers ($240) … hard welding only; your usable old rockers required, or purchase of new rockers.
-Race valve spring kit ($250) … not recommended for street use.performance dual springs, Titanium retainers, shims

-Custom front brake line & throttle/clutch cables.  Price varies based on length needed and type of sheath desired.  Sheaths can be Black Vinyl, clear coat Stainless Braid.  They are made to my specifications by Barnett to match the 3 model year LS650 type of throttle connections and stock or Performance Carburetor used.  Contact with spec's desired for a cost estimate.

-Heavy Duty Barnett Clutch Pak Set (Friction disc set + springs ) ($125)
-Kevlar Front/Rear Brake Set ($85)

-Camshaft chain  ($110)
-Cam chain guide set ($120)
-Cam chain adjuster assembly  ($75 ) with bolt & clip
-Complete Gasket Set  ($125)

-JETSET  ($39.95 ebay/$29.95 here)  … #50, 52.5 & 55 pilot jets; #150, 152.5 & 155 main jets;  3 washers to replace the white plastic spacer on the needle;  float bowl gasket.  

Any single or combination of the above Performance Parts will improve efficiency and power, but a better flowing exhaust system is a key factor in maximizing efficiency and performance.  A stock LS650 engine makes 30hp at the crank and 25hp at the rear wheel.  Expect about 45hp at the rear wheel with the above improvements, along with a good flowing exhaust system.  The transformation of the bike is dramatic … it is a totally different animal.  

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #29 - 05/13/15 at 08:03:39

Alright I saved that information. Thank you LANCER and I believe its safe to say I know someone who will be putting in overtime and someone else who will more than likely be getting money from me Lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:25:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.