Send Topic Print
Exhaust question (Read 354 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Exhaust question
05/08/15 at 08:52:54

Hello, I was curious in your opinion. what are the sound depth differences in short mufflers compared to long and short dragpipes compared to long ones? I have an idea I may be implementing once I get jets.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Exhaust question
Reply #1 - 05/08/15 at 08:54:43

This one i can't help you with  Grin

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #2 - 05/08/15 at 08:57:20

Art Webb wrote on 05/08/15 at 08:54:43:
This one i can't help you with  Grin

Hah it happens. im not familiar with bikes yet so it isnt like I can just swap in a muffler like a car without having to change things

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/08/15 at 09:03:42

The majority here will tell youm the savage sounds best with a Dyna muffler
After hearing them in person, I agree, I can't imagine drags or a glasspack sounding any better at all than a Dyna muffler
and it keeps backpressure (so long as the baffles are in place) which will give better performance on a basically stock bike

I thought this was a more technical question involving sine waves and stuff like that  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/08/15 at 09:16:51

a long exhaust will give you a deep tone,
and short will be so freaking loud you won't hear anything.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/08/15 at 09:17:12

Dyna or Supertrapp, with 14 disks. I had a Supertrapp. If I had it to do over id go with the Dyna. Much prettier, MUCH cheaper, about equal sound and power boost. I would have kept stock air filter, but the modification to increase the volume between carb Aaaand filter I would probably still do.

Really, changes like that SHOULD get a dyno run before and after.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 05/08/15 at 09:36:17

After re-jetting, and adding a K&N air filter, I installed a 22' Helix (no baffles). Too loud.. I replaced with a 27" EMGO (nice tone) with no loss of power or gas mileage. (Note: My riding is done at 5,000 to 9,000+ ft. above sea level.)    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #7 - 05/08/15 at 09:39:48

I thought of a Dyna but for myself I just dont find the sound 'gritty' enough for personal taste. It may be a cultural thing for where im from. motorcycles usually were so loud they would make you deaf in a car when they passed

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/08/15 at 09:49:32

we have a culture like that here, too, but I prefer a good sound to just as loud as possible, and value performance over sound
I'm also not a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust, car or bike, as it's, wait for it, obnoxious
Also, I value my hearing
If you just want loud, just drill your baffles out, cheap, easy, and loud

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #9 - 05/08/15 at 10:14:05

Art Webb wrote on 05/08/15 at 09:49:32:
we have a culture like that here, too, but I prefer a good sound to just as loud as possible, and value performance over sound
I'm also not a fan of obnoxiously loud exhaust, car or bike, as it's, wait for it, obnoxious
Also, I value my hearing
If you just want loud, just drill your baffles out, cheap, easy, and loud

note taken. I have hearing damage from the frac field (I get to be the unlucky person that disposable earplugs cause my ears to swell up yay) my exhaust right now has 3 additional holes drilled out from previous owner about the size of the original center hole. I had an idea of adapting a short glasspack. but I shall research lol I did find a savage on youtube with a turnout muffler by Emgo that I liked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/08/15 at 10:14:56

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #11 - 05/08/15 at 10:29:51

LOL that was hilarious, so true though. my bike pretty much commutes for work being interstate then 1 lane road and some gravel

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/08/15 at 10:59:42

I used to like loud, too, I was the guy with Cherry bombs on my car  Grin
even then I preferred performance over noise, so once I did my research re exhaust,  my car had a single three inch exhaust, rater than duals This makes better low to mid range torque, as opposed to high end power, and most car engines live their lives between 2-3k RPM, or did back then (V8 era)
this is an a basically stock engine of course, on a car with a 3/4 race cam, you want an exhaust more biased to High end power, to match the engine's power characteristics
nowadays I guess I've mellowed, my cars have stock, quiet mufflers, and I find it more restful and less tiring to drive them that way
I tend to prefer stock muffs on bikes, too, but the S40s muff sounds wrong, especially mine, that has a bit of a whistle to it
The Dyna muff, though, sounds ....right, on an S40, a little louder, but a lot deeper

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #13 - 05/08/15 at 11:13:11

I can understand that. I run into the issue of ofcourse being 6'4 and 350 lbs (I look like someone of my height at 230 lbs so thankfully I dont look wrong on a skinny bike lmao) its kindof nice in a way. I can steer my bike with normal bicycle weight shifting easily. but ofcourse I top out at 85-87 mph going flat out. at 55-60 i get 49mpg and 40 at 70. im using rotilla T6 synthetic. More or less I do want performance but im suffering from.. poof's.. my exhaust says, Poof poof poof poof it reminds me of a fart can on a 4 cyl. a sound I despise. hence why im trying to figure out how I can get a sound I agree with while retaining performance and im assuming its going to be all about muffler length. being a 1cyl I dont believe I have to worry about scavenging effect. as long as I can keep the pulsing vibration down and keep proper backpressure. Can motorcycle exhaust valve's pop like a car without proper backpressure?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/08/15 at 11:41:30

You need a muffler with a baffle system to break up pressure pulses that can affect the performance.  Drag pipes allow the pressure pulses too easy of a path in and out of the pipe, and at certain rpm's the pulses create a flat spot in the power curve.

Try the DYNA....it works really well and has a very nice sound, and they are pretty cheap and very well built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:21:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.