Sluggish (Read 132 times)
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Sluggish
05/07/15 at 19:46:30

I've had my '08 S40 for about a year now. Unfortunately, I had to put her up for a while over the winter and now as I get her back into riding mode, I can't seem to get her started. I've replaced the gas, changed the oil, tested (and replaced) the battery but she won't catch.

Now the interesting part: when she's in neutral, she rolls freely. However, when she's in gear, she feels sluggish and doesn't roll as freely as if the clutch were only partially disengaged. However, I adjusted the clutch lever screw and it doesn't seem to affect the sluggish rolling at all. Does anyone know why there's so much resistance while in gear even with the clutch fully disengaged?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Sluggish
Reply #1 - 05/07/15 at 20:02:02

it sounds like you neglected to drain the carb, and it's gummed up
as far as the rolling resistance, I don't have that, but back when I had a bike with carbs that liked to flood the oil with gas, I had that a lot
open the oil fill hole and see if the oil smells like gas, and check the level, to see if it's high
that would indicate gas leaking past the carb and into the oil
might mean a bad fuel tap, too, if it's the factory (failure prone) vacuum fuel tap

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #2 - 05/07/15 at 20:13:14

When the motor is cold wet clutches "stick" a bit when they are in gear and you try to move the bike, even with the clutch pulled.  Click the tranny into neutral and you should have no problem.

IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #3 - 05/07/15 at 20:14:06

Weird. I did the Raptor swap late last summer just in case. I used some fogging oil before putting her up but maybe the carb is bad. Is it just a cleaning that fixes the problem?

IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #4 - 05/07/15 at 20:18:56

@ Flint
Alright. I'll give it a go in neutral and see if it helps

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 05/07/15 at 20:42:08

Flint wrote on 05/07/15 at 20:13:14:
When the motor is cold wet clutches "stick" a bit when they are in gear and you try to move the bike, even with the clutch pulled.  Click the tranny into neutral and you should have no problem.

Agreed. Sometimes, when it's very cold outside, the starter will actually drag the bike a foot or two, even with the clutch lever pulled all the way in.  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/07/15 at 20:42:43

Laser wrote on 05/07/15 at 20:14:06:
Weird. I did the Raptor swap late last summer just in case. I used some fogging oil before putting her up but maybe the carb is bad. Is it just a cleaning that fixes the problem?

fogging oil will keep the rings from rusting to the cylinder walls, draining the carb is necessary to keep it from gumming up, unless you're lucky enough to have pure gas
did you remember to CLOSE the fuel tap? If so there should be no issue with gas in the oil
if you didn't drain the carb, you probably need to clean the carb

unless....is the battery good and hot? if it's too weak, it won't spin the motor and spark the plugs at the same time

as far as all wet clutches sticking a bit when cold, mine does not do this, on the S40
now on my Ninja 500 it did, but that was due to a known issue with the clutch on that bike, that the S40 does not suffer from

I never start any bike in gear, though, it's just not a good idea

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/08/15 at 03:19:00

Pull the cap off the vacuum line that used to go to the petcock, and squire a small amount of gasoline in the port and replace the cap.  Then try and start the bike.  If the engine comes to life and then stops again, you have confirmed you have compression and spark, and it is your carb that is causing the problem.

There is no reason to start the bike in gear.....unless you stall in traffic while riding and need to get going in a hurry.  The first start of the day should be in neutral, as well as all other normal starts.

I have recently become really nervous about changing oil on a bike that has not been run recently.  While in storage the oil can drain away from the piston and cylinder walls, and then when you change oil and the filter.....the engine will have to run long enough to pump oil in the filter before the crank or piston or camshaft will get any oil.  This may take long enough to score the piston/cylinder or other parts before the oil system is pumped full of oil.  I believe Lancer just had this problem when he tried to wake REX up after sitting for more than a year.  If you did change the oil and filter.....take out the spark plug and put some fogging oil, or a teaspoon of light motor oil in the cylinder before you start the bike.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1427762247/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/08/15 at 09:59:20

as to Dave's point about changing oil on a bike that's been sitting, you should ALWAYS warm an engine up before draining the oil, it flows better warm Cheesy

IP Logged
Laser
YaBB Newbies

I'd rather be
riding!

Central California Coast
Reply #9 - 05/08/15 at 11:26:13

Thanks for the help all! I thought it might be a mechanical problem starting but it might be electrical. I'll have to grab a multi-meter and see if there's enough power to both crank and spark.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 05/08/15 at 18:43:33

Just curious... why do you guys say not to start the bike in gear? With the clutch lever pulled in it's not really "in gear".

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/08/15 at 20:18:04

Kris01 wrote on 05/08/15 at 18:43:33:
Just curious... why do you guys say not to start the bike in gear? With the clutch lever pulled in it's not really "in gear".

I guess you missed the answer...
Kris01 wrote on 05/07/15 at 20:42:08:
Flint wrote on 05/07/15 at 20:13:14:

Agreed. Sometimes, when it's very cold outside, the starter will actually drag the bike a foot or two, even with the clutch lever pulled all the way in.  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 05/08/15 at 20:25:40

Neutral decreases the load on the battery. Sounds like a good plan.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/09/15 at 03:39:17

Some cold morning before you start your bike, leave it in neutral and push the bike 10 feet and notice how easy it pushes.  Then put the bike into 1st gear and push it...and you will notice that the bike is a bit harder to push.  The starter notices the same thing when you try to start the bike in gear - there is some additional drag when the bike is in gear.

Once the bike is warmed up the drag will be reduced - however the only time I ever start the bike in gear is when I have stalled the bike while riding (doesn't happen very often).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 05/09/15 at 07:19:47

Dave wrote on 05/09/15 at 03:39:17:

Some cold morning before you start your bike, leave it in neutral and push the bike 10 feet and notice how easy it pushes.  Then put the bike into 1st gear and push it...and you will notice that the bike is a bit harder to push.  The starter notices the same thing when you try to start the bike in gear - there is some additional drag when the bike is in gear.

Once the bike is warmed up the drag will be reduced - however the only time I ever start the bike in gear is when I have stalled the bike while riding (doesn't happen very often).

Pull in clutch to push, however  Grin

Glad I saw this advice, it makes sense.
I, on occasion, while riding to and fro work, in my haste to get off/on the ferry, I have started in gear, as I leave it in gear to prevent moving on the deck. If I lag in mounting up, gloves, helmet, the last thing is to find neutral, I forgo, and I notice when I hit the starter, clutch in of course, I often can feel a little lurch before she fires up....

Thank you

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:21:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sluggish

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.