Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi there, what is this? -Solved: Neutral wire (Read 130 times)
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Hi there, what is this? -Solved: Neutral wire
05/07/15 at 14:33:41

Hi there,

I have actually already posted my "introduction" in the Marketplace subforum, but here goes again just for good measure Smiley

Newcomer here, but having been lurking for the past month or so (I've "scanned" pages 1-362 in "Rubber Side Down!" so far) since I got a really good deal on a '94 Savage that had run 55.000km (34.000 miles?) doing mostly long rides around Europe as I understood it, but had been standing still for the past 10'ish years.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/or83txa2keu27v7/20150329-IMG_1911.jpg?dl=0
Sorry, but it seems I can't insert photos directly...

While it has been standing still for so long, it has been dragged out every year to be run until well warmed up, then an oil change and some oil into the cylinder and the usual stuff that you do when preparing it for winter hibernation.

All in all it looks and feels really fine. So far I've had to replace the front fork seals as it started leaking badly after some driving, and this evening I've (luckily) just checked the cam chain tensioner where I found this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fghtsnxji8ijxmh/20150507-IMG_2225.jpg?dl=0

So... it seems like I would want to get me a Verslavy. Smiley

Ok... Now for my question.
While I took off my clutch cover I was baffled by this wire/lead that seemed to be patched up at some point in time due to some leak I guess. I've been looking through the Clymer manual, but could not find this wire anywhere and I have no idea what it is... It is located just to the left of the clutch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21gn5cf6999yizf/20150507-IMG_2228.jpg?dl=0

Anyone able to help me out?

Also, since it looks like a "dirty" patch job I would like to fix it when I assemble the engine again. Anything I should be particularly aware of, or should I expect the newly purchased cover gasket to seal this wire  and/or rubber thingie it is going through properly?

I'm sorry if some of my English is somewhat off, but it's not exactly my first language. So if some of what I said above is unclear, please ask me to clarify and I will try to do so.

Greetings from Denmark and thanks for this great forum with so much knowledge(sharing) present.

« Last Edit: 06/01/15 at 02:28:49 by Mekh »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hi there (and a question: What is this?)
Reply #1 - 05/07/15 at 14:43:12

That's the neutral indicator wire.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/07/15 at 14:45:08

Like a lot of folks from Denmark I've 'met' on the internet, you have much better English that you think you do
unfortunately I don't know much about that wire, but I know someone who knows the bike intimately will stop by soon with an answer

IP Logged
botticelli

Custom Savage Build
Coming!

Boston
Reply #3 - 05/07/15 at 16:09:56

Welcome, and your English is great!

The wire is used for the green neutral light indicator in the middle of the tank next to the speedometer.

verslagen1 wrote on 05/07/15 at 14:43:12:
That's the neutral indicator wire.

Four wheels move the body, two move the soul!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 05/08/15 at 03:56:41

If you have to repair or splice it, make sure it works when done.  It'll cause you problems with the clutch safeties without the neutral indication.

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you get everything sorted soon.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #5 - 05/08/15 at 05:04:42

Thanks for the help Smiley

When I re-assemble the clutch cover would you use some liquid gasket as well as paper gasket, or...?

I'm not only considering the clutch engine block interface, but also the area around that rubber-thingie (what's such a thing called?) the neutral wire goes through.
With that amount of goo around the wire I'm sure it has been leaking, which could be caused by the rubber being damaged/old or by a leak due to the gasket not working properly at that rubber-thingie.

Years back I remember using liquid gasket, sometimes solely and sometimes together with paper gasket, but I can no longer remember when to do what and why...

Any tips are more than welcome.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Hi there (What is this? Solved: Neutral wire)
Reply #6 - 05/08/15 at 05:29:25

I do clean off the oil from the rubber doohickey where the neutral wires goes through, and I put a small amount of sealer on the rubber where it contacts the center engine case, and also on the wire that passes through the doohickey.

I do not use any sealer on the paper gasket (and neither does Suzuki).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/08/15 at 07:47:05

Ahh, me laddies, its always such a positive thing seeing someone locate their neutral wire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #8 - 06/01/15 at 01:15:44

EDIT:
Nevermind, I finally managed to find a forum thread here with some info: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113636195

I found that the rubber grommet cannot be purchased on its own, but is a part of the body switch assembly, number 41 here:
http://www.mc-importen.dk/wop/wop4.php?m=5&url=Suzuki_OEM/SuzukiMC.asp?Type=1...

If it looks bad or leaks after assembly I will silicone it, till it leaks no more I guess Smiley

In case it turns out that the rubber doohickey is broken or something, I have tried finding a part number for it, but with no luck so far.

Anyone know the number or can help me find it here:
http://www.mc-importen.dk/wop/wop4.php?m=4&url=Suzuki_OEM/SuzukiMC.asp?Type=1...

« Last Edit: 06/01/15 at 02:46:16 by Mekh »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 06/01/15 at 03:35:19

Mekh wrote on 06/01/15 at 01:15:44:
EDIT:
Nevermind, I finally managed to find a forum thread here with some info: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1113636195

Are you telling us that all of the above posts weren't helpful? Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Re: Hi there, what is this? -Solved: Neutral wire
Reply #10 - 06/01/15 at 04:37:42

No, not at all Smiley

If you notice in my previous post it says "EDIT:" meaning I edited my own post, where I had asked a specific question about a part number, which I then later found the answer to before anyone had answered my question... in that post.

I had especially taken note of your reply with the sealer, which was in line with what I found in the thread I linked to. What the other thread mentioned was what the material of said sealer could be... silicon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:23:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi there, what is this? -Solved: Neutral wire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.