Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
belt squeal (Read 151 times)
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

belt squeal
05/06/15 at 20:37:55

Serobot was right!  I have tried all the "fixes" to eliminate belt squeal.  And they all work, but not for very long.  Dust seems to aggravate the problem.  BUT if you go ahead and grind down the outside edge with a belt sander, the squeal goes away and stays away.  Thanks bot man.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: belt squeal
Reply #1 - 05/06/15 at 21:49:16

when I ride from my home at 4600'  asl to the grand mesa 11000' asl
the temp and humidity change makes a squeal
I use silicone spray, tension and track are dead on

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 05/07/15 at 17:40:43

I think ANY kind of spray makes the problem worse.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/03/15 at 19:58:58

Well, the squeal is back.I think the problem is dust.  So I have now tried armorall tire extreme spray.  It is a clear syrup type of spray that is supposed to make your tires look shiny.  So I sprayed some on the belt and it seems to keep the noise away for several hundred miles.  Funny that my Harley belt never had this problem.  Oh well, I put time and effort in my chain drive bikes and it does not really bother me.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/03/15 at 21:21:28

Harley belts are rubber, with Kevlar reinforcement... our belts are industrial grade... and pretty much plastic...
Tough as all get-out,... but they get noisy...

Have you tried more grinder?.... Huh...

"More cowbell!,... more cowbell!"... Grin...

I think the key is to get the edges feathered,.. keep it rough... never let it glaze...
Brutalize it... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/03/15 at 22:14:10

have you tried aligning the pulleys?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/04/15 at 01:38:26

Skin screeches on a gym floor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/04/15 at 08:03:32

More cowbell!! Botman I like your style.,  Gonna go back and do some more grinding.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/06/15 at 19:59:14

Seems like a "Hand held Belt Sander would do great".   With the right angle the sanding belt would spin the tire/Belt.  Smiley

Its been so long ago I forgot how I did mine ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 07/07/15 at 06:36:25

Maybe you need to fabricate a small faring that at higher speeds takes outside air and ducts it into the front pulley area whereas it constantly blasts the dust away whilst riding.

Problem Solved  Wink

p.s. kinda ironic that dust is the problem and your 'handle' is dustystranger. Maybe you should change it to quietride?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 07/07/15 at 07:50:32

when I had my wheels off to get new tires, I took the opportunity to grind the edges a bit more.  I used a rasp and it did a good job.
Also, when I put the wheels back on, I made sure I had the right amount of "twist" in the belt, tension-wise.  It's been quite ever since, unless it gets wet.  But the sound goes away as it dries.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 07/07/15 at 10:00:00

my belt used to squeal when I first got it...I aligned the belt by loosening the axel, rolling it back and forth until it was centered, snugged everything up and it hasn't made any noise in over 3 years...musta been lucky...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/07/15 at 15:55:21

We lined up big pumps, drive wheel about three feet across, maybe four, pump, on the ground, drive pulley, up on the rig floor.
A rope across the end of the drive pull, pulled tight, showed us how to line up the pump. They used four to six belts. I used to drop old gloves on the belts, as they went down to the pump. It spat them out all cut up.

Anyway, a cord, poked under the belt, trapped by the front pulley, rolled forward till it's at the front, pulled thru stuff so you can get it across the rear pulley, it'll show you a lot.

Rember, the rear pulley is not a real close tolerance thing. What you see isn't likely to be exactly what you would see under acceleration.

When you are happy with the pulley s, spend some time looking at the tire /swing arm line up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 20:29:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › belt squeal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.