Send Topic Print
LED turn signal relay (Read 157 times)
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
LED turn signal relay
05/05/15 at 23:31:22

Hey gang,
Got most of the wiring figured out on the Ryca, BUT here is the thing I noticed. I think that since I went with the bar end lights (LED) I'm not getting enough resistance. Now my setup is a little different. I have the bar end lights, but it also is wired to the Acewell gauge that shows left and right. I also wired the center tank mounted light to flash when either left or right is blinking. Here is where it gets confusing for me. If I unplug the tank light, the bar lights stay on steady (or are possibly flashing REALLY fast), but as soon as I connect the tank light, they flash normally. But when I don't have the bar lights on, the tank light is still flashing! Cheesy Am I wrong thinking that the dash light is working as a resistor? Should I replace the turn signal relay with a LED flasher? Any suggestions as to which one? I'd be happy to show you how I wired it if that would help. I still have to hook up the Ryca tail light, plus the added LED tail lights (Like Bob's)and strobe brake light. (Like Dave's) Smiley
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: LED turn signal relay
Reply #1 - 05/06/15 at 03:16:20

The tank light is a conventional bulb....so it is requiring enough current to allow the flasher to operate.  The LED's by themselves don't have enough of a load to make the flasher work.

Buy any 2 connector electronic flasher and wire it in to the 2 wires that go to the stock flasher.  You can get electronic 2 wire flashers that are a universal fit at any auto parts store.

I bought the LSF-1-Flat connector from Supebright LED's.  Although the flat connector was not a perfect fit - it did plug into the stock wiring harness but did not latch.....so I taped the connectors together with black electrical tape and it has been working fine the last 2 years.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/electronic%20flasher%20mo...

« Last Edit: 05/06/15 at 05:23:59 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #2 - 05/06/15 at 08:43:48

Thanks Dave, that's what I was thinking. The flasher you linked to was the one I was looking at! Smiley Ah, time to wear that magnetic strip down a little more on the credit card! Cheesy
Jeff

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 05/06/15 at 21:43:55

one t.s. indicator on the dash needs a diode to prevent cross feed to other side..4 way flash

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Reply #4 - 05/07/15 at 17:01:48

rather than mix and match, I went back to all incandesents.  signals and tail light.

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #5 - 05/07/15 at 21:25:32

The tank light is tied to the diode before it gets to the other lights so no matter which direction I switch, it still comes on.

IP Logged
Tony from tdot

Calling all Toronto
savage riders!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #6 - 05/09/15 at 13:10:03

I had the same problem when I converted all my signals to LED......honestly, get a electronic flasher from "superbrightleds" , its the easiest, fastest, most fail proof method. Plug n Play

IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #7 - 05/09/15 at 22:11:12

Ordered one the other day, got it and put it on. Slows the blinking down. The tank light went super dim so I'll try to replace it with an LED.
Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:24:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED turn signal relay

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.