Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New rider, 2001 s40 not running well (Read 128 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: New rider, 2001 s40 not running well
Reply #15 - 05/05/15 at 20:05:17

You can ride it on Prime until you get your Raptor, I did (only way it would run, didn't have a car, either  Grin )

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 05/05/15 at 20:10:36

Cass wrote on 05/05/15 at 19:53:26:
Thanks everyone, looks like as I anticipated, I'll be going with a Raptor petcock.  I'll make sure to get the real deal and not a knock-off.  Now here's another question: should I drive the cage until I get the petcock swapped?  I'm ordering it tonight, but I don't want to do any damage. Oh, and when I put the line into the gas can and switch to PRIME, is that going to drain the whole tank out?  Don't want to try using too small of a vessel...

The tank will drip, no matter. But Prime will rid the tank of almost all gas.
You know to be ready for some minor fuel, not done near the gas water heater...
I bought mine from the local dealer. Keeping that money local, I try to support the local businesses.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #17 - 05/05/15 at 20:14:25

Get all you tools ect. ready and take the tank off and lay it on the side.  I changed mine in about 3 minutes after the tank was off and every thing ready.  Maybe lost 1 cup of gas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 05/05/15 at 20:19:48

I didn't pull the tank. And wouldn't. It's a hassle and the speedometer cable requires planning. Don't wanna lose the o ring. Much easier to leave it secured, in my biased opinion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #19 - 05/05/15 at 20:33:58

Cass:  It definitely sounds like you need to replace the petcock. Order one from the supplier recommended on this site. (I ordered one on Amazon and they sent the wrong one... Angry) If you are going to work on the carb remember to reassemble in the same way it was. (I had to re do my carb when I put one spring ABOVE the diaphragm instead of below it.)   Roll Eyes   Other than that..... They used to have areas around the bases' motor pool where you could take you vehicle to work on, and usually there would be some gearheads around that would help and/or advise...      

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #20 - 05/05/15 at 21:00:37

Don't disassemble the carburettor until you have read some of the threads about stripping screws, some are assembled with studlock/threadlock or something.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Cass
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

San Diego, CA
Reply #21 - 05/05/15 at 21:45:36

I would much rather not pull the tank, obviously.  Seems like an unnecessary procedure based on the petcock thread in the tech section.  I am fortunate enough to work with some darn fine mechanics with skills on 2 wheelers as well as rotary wingers.  I'll do the petcock over the weekend provided it gets here by then.  Hopefully that alone will do the trick.  I am very much looking forward to finding out that it does.  Thanks for all of your input.  I love this forum!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #22 - 05/05/15 at 22:06:10

The fact the mechanic adjusted the float height rings alarm bells,just because I don't trust bike mechanics abilities. When I got my savage It ran a bit rough,float was too high. Dropped it a bit for an improvement. Maybe check the mystery pipes out the carb body aren't blocked. They vent to atmosphere,if they're blocked fuel can't get in. (because the air can't get out ). But first I'd do as the others suggest,check the fuel tap. I'd check the belt tension as well, using the specs in the tech section. Others say the Suzuki spec is too tight.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:37:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New rider, 2001 s40 not running well

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.