Send Topic Print
Extreme Oil Leak (Read 129 times)
MrHighwayHooligan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Extreme Oil Leak
05/05/15 at 05:31:43

I've got a 2001 Suzuki Savage (Bobbed out) fixed the infamous oil leak but my dad put a filter on the breather hose and used a copper tube to connect the hose and filter (dont know why) the copper tube had a hole that was like 1/8" in diameter....took the bike for a 20min ride got to my destination, looked down and the whole rear end was covered in oil...from the rear part of the engine to the tire (everything under the seat)...80% sure that it was because of the filter. I was just wondering if anyone would know where the oil would be coming from exactly (cant figure out where exactly, due the fact that it is everywhere) and I was wondering if and what damage I caused.
Thanks,
Chris  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Extreme Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 05/05/15 at 05:45:16

You are in a better situation to see where the oil is coming from than we are......we can't even see the bike.  Scrub it off and watch to see where it is coming from....and if it is the new tube then you need to figure out why so much oil is being sent out the breather.

When the head plug repair was done.....did you keep the little mesh screen in the cylinder head cover?  This mesh separates the oil from the air going out the breather....and without it too much oil goes out the breather hose.

See that little silver mesh in the pocket in the lower right corner?  You need that in the head cover.  Sometimes it falls out when you take the head cover off.....and it gets lost.

LS650-S40_0492_001.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MrHighwayHooligan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/05/15 at 06:48:55

I know that we put the mesh back in, I made sure of that. I'm going to clean it off today. Then take the filter off and ride it around for a bit to see if it is leaking anywhere else other than the tube.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/05/15 at 07:09:58

Don't run it low. It only has 2quarts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MrHighwayHooligan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/08/15 at 10:14:10

Didn't run it low. I put oil in it after I cleaned it and took off the filter and copper tube. Took it down the road, not even a quarter mile and looked down and it was all over the place. Looked like it was coming from the right/bottom/rear side of the engine...right about where the eyelet is to see how much oil you have in it. :'(

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/08/15 at 10:17:03

That could be the rubber seal where the neutral light wire passes through the case.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 05/09/15 at 06:13:35

Or your speedo cable connection is loose, or the seal is worn.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Chase

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cape May NJ
Reply #7 - 05/09/15 at 17:44:10

was the filter saturated in oil? if not it wasnt from there

In progress bob : Z bars, Versy Adjuster, Drag pipes, Biltwell Slimline seat, Mini Batt, KN Filter, 454 front pulley mod.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 17:18:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Extreme Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.