Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(I did search) FM radio for the bike (Read 163 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
(I did search) FM radio for the bike
05/04/15 at 09:38:44

I am looking to add an ( old fashioned??) FM radio to the bike.  It truely seems that what I want.. does not actually exist!

DC (bike powered) 12v radio on the handle bar
FM receiver (AM is optional) that  transmits via bluetooth
No speakers...
waterproof/resistant
cheap

Appearently the current tend is to use your smartphone has the radio and bluetooth that to speakers or other devices.  Sure I can do that. But your pulling Cell tower data. Radio is FREE!

I have the SENA helmet mounted system which can "bluetooth" (used as a verb) from many devices at once.
Ebay is awash in cheap ( $25 - $40) radios... but they seem of dubious quality. I don't want (and don't want to pay for) some 1000 watt speaker system.
I have found $25 stereo bluetooth transmitters, that can plug into any 3.5 stereo jack, which I am looking at. (So $20 FM radio plus $25 BT transmitter)

any suggestions??

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: (I did search) FM radio for the bike
Reply #1 - 05/04/15 at 10:31:51

Look at Amazon as well.

It doesn't have to be 12v.  
Rechargeable would work OK too.
Or something that uses AA/AAA batteries.  Just use rechargeable ones and carry a spare set or two.

The issue with FM is broadcast range and reception (especially on a built in antenna)

My question to you is.. why FM??  Music?  Put together a big play list and an MP3 player.

I ride out in the boonies and the hills.. a LOT.  I like a lot of variety and the ability to change music "moods" on the fly.
My solution was satellite radio.  Love it.  (No, it ain't free, but it ain't much) and there is nothing to stop the signal.. except tunnels and high canyon walls once in a while.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/04/15 at 10:39:25

Back in the 80s I used a walkman and earbuds (but not IN the ears, that hurts)

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/04/15 at 10:54:50

Pine wrote on 05/04/15 at 09:38:44:
I have found $25 stereo bluetooth transmitters, that can plug into any 3.5 stereo jack, which I am looking at. (So $20 FM radio plus $25 BT transmitter)

For the transmitter, I recommend the TaoTronics TT-BA01.  The "upgraded" version is a bit more.  The only difference is that it has a micro usb port for charging instead of the less common mini usb port.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 05/04/15 at 13:23:38

youzguyz wrote on 05/04/15 at 10:31:51:
Look at Amazon as well.

It doesn't have to be 12v.  
Rechargeable would work OK too.
Or something that uses AA/AAA batteries.  Just use rechargeable ones and carry a spare set or two.

The issue with FM is broadcast range and reception (especially on a built in antenna)

My question to you is.. why FM??  Music?  Put together a big play list and an MP3 player.

I ride out in the boonies and the hills.. a LOT.  I like a lot of variety and the ability to change music "moods" on the fly.
My solution was satellite radio.  Love it.  (No, it ain't free, but it ain't much) and there is nothing to stop the signal.. except tunnels and high canyon walls once in a while.

Good stuff and questions:
I use my bike for commuting to work, and it is nice to listen to the radio on the ride it. Weather, news, traffic, and yes music. I do have a large digital music collection (though some of it needs to be replaced), and if I were on a winding road headed no-where .. then an MP3 player would be good choice.

So far the radio station(s) there are about 3, that I listen to, are good for about 75 miles in every direction. So even a pretty long range ride keeps me in their range.  XM certainly would be an idea, but I am not willing to sub to a service for limited use it would get.

Yep a pocket radio on batteries .. seems to be winning right now.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/04/15 at 14:26:21

Pine wrote on 05/04/15 at 13:23:38:
So far the radio station(s) there are about 3, that I listen to, are good for about 75 miles in every direction. So even a pretty long range ride keeps me in their range.  XM certainly would be an idea, but I am not willing to sub to a service for limited use it would get.

Yep a pocket radio on batteries .. seems to be winning right now.

Yeah XM does cost, but I listen at work (on the same radio (multiple docks)), so it is worth it to me.

They have some dinky FM/MP3 combo units that you can hook a bluetooth dongle to
I.E.  http://www.amazon.com/EvoDigitals-Silver-Player-samsung-Recorder/dp/B008DGI44...
Velcro that to the Bluetooth transmitter, chunk it your pocket.  Good to go!!

OR.. all in one!!
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Bluetooth-Supported-Continuous-blue/dp/B00...

Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #6 - 05/04/15 at 15:19:51

Almost every phone manufactured today has an FM receiver chip installed and simply not turned on!!  There are loads of apps you can download to use your phone as an actual FM radio - NOT pulling data. Some of them can activate the receiver, but other phones will require you to do something to use it. It all depends on what you've got.

The catch is that most of them use the headphones as the antenna.  Do you need speakers, or can you ride with a wire?

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 05/04/15 at 20:56:09

Here you go.... I typed in "motorcycle am/fm radio" into my ebay and came up with this beauty!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SRF59-AM-FM-Walkman-Stereo-Radio-/151586465309?p...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #8 - 05/05/15 at 10:35:11

Did you look into satellite radio?

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/05/15 at 11:45:10

I have tried small FM radios in headphones (Peltor), and walkmen type radios.  The reception is really bad unless the station is very strong....just not enough antenna for good reception.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 05/05/15 at 11:51:44

HondaLavis wrote on 05/04/15 at 15:19:51:
Almost every phone manufactured today has an FM receiver chip installed and simply not turned on!!  There are loads of apps you can download to use your phone as an actual FM radio - NOT pulling data. Some of them can activate the receiver, but other phones will require you to do something to use it. It all depends on what you've got.

The catch is that most of them use the headphones as the antenna.  Do you need speakers, or can you ride with a wire?

DING DING .. we may have a winner!

Yes my HTC one mini does have an FM tuner! I tried it and it works with headphones! Now to try it with my helmet and bluetooth.

VERY COOL!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/05/15 at 14:25:15

Pine wrote on 05/05/15 at 11:51:44:
Yes my HTC one mini does have an FM tuner! I tried it and it works with headphones! Now to try it with my helmet and bluetooth.

VERY COOL!

Being devil's advocate here, I see 2 possible issues with using the phone for FM.

1. As said before, the headphone wire IS the antenna, so if you plug a bluetooth xmitter in there, will it also work as an antenna?  Well enough?  Only testing will tell.

2. Battery life.  How big a hit does the FM take on the phones battery (or other resources?).  You say you need it mostly for commuting, so, probably not a big deal.

Keep us informed!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/05/15 at 17:43:32

Pine wrote on 05/05/15 at 11:51:44:
HondaLavis wrote on 05/04/15 at 15:19:51:

VERY COOL!

I did no know this hmmmmm
of course, the only radio in my area that'll come in on a portable is a country station (the car stereo will pick up Houston stations)

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: (I did search) FM radio for the bike (updated)
Reply #13 - 05/06/15 at 08:18:34

Well it was a good try....

1) the radio reception of the smartphone/come radio is NOT what a car radio is.. but still I could pick up about 20 stations and one of them was my top 3!

2).... GRRRRRRRRR it will not bluetooth the radio! I can make it go to the earbuds or the speaker.. but not to bluetooth. really HTC???

sooooo close...

as to power... I do have a very nice dual 5V USB jack that I installed. I can charge the phone while it sits in a pack on the handel bars and also charge my helemt... though I dont as I am afraid the cord might tangle as I ride.  The USB port is a nice unit with built in rubber cap, so it is rain/weather proof when closed.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #14 - 05/18/15 at 07:24:10

The goodies have arrived!

Radio: very retro and reminds me of the AM/FM "tranistor" I got in the 1970's. However the unit is all digital. It only pulls FM ( which is fine) and will find about 25 stations on its own and then you can just hit the numbers to get to the station you want. I also went ahead and put about 400 songs on a micro SD chip. It all just works very nice. The speak is weak, but so what, I wont be using it. It uses a LI battery and is rechargable via USB.
BT Transmitter:
This thing is tiny, and very simple. It has one button, one 3.5 male wire and one outlet for the USB charging cable. PLug it in the radio, and paid with the SENA on my helmet... done. Radio or MP3.

My only concerns are that the radio is not very "rugged" and I suspect it may break down with use on the bike, but we will see.
Thanks all
Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › (I did search) FM radio for the bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.