Send Topic Print
Rear fender (Read 138 times)
TheNewBee1
YaBB Newbies

Just Roll

Maastricht, the Netherlands
Rear fender
05/04/15 at 06:05:38

The bike I have wasn't much when I bought it. So I bought a new rear fender to mount on it. But to attach the rear fender it looks like I am gonna have to remove the rear tire as well.

So I was wondering if removing the rear springs would also be an option. Is it possible to remove them and push the rear wheel down so I can mount it without having to remove the rearwheel. Or maybe there is an other solution?

English is not my native tong, so sorry for the grammar :/
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Rear fender
Reply #1 - 05/04/15 at 06:14:54

Sounds like a lot of work to avoid a little work. Removing the rear tire is easy:

Support the bike via a jack
Remove axle
Loosen belt tension adjustors
Remove brake lever adjusting nut
Remove tire assembly

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/04/15 at 06:24:58

The bottom guard for the belt interferes and prevents the swing arm from dropping very far below the bottom of the shock travel.  (If you still have the belt guards on.....you will have to remove the bottom one to get the swing arm to drop).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/04/15 at 06:42:49

You can get the rear fender off without taking off the wheel.   I think I replace mine by jacking up the bike and then busting a few knuckles.
I can't remember if I pulled the shocks or not, but that will give you a bit more room.
It helps to have someone hold the new fender in place as you start the bolts.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
TheNewBee1
YaBB Newbies

Just Roll

Reply #4 - 05/04/15 at 07:48:42

Dave wrote on 05/04/15 at 06:24:58:
The bottom guard for the belt interferes and prevents the swing arm from dropping very far below the bottom of the shock travel.  (If you still have the belt guards on.....you will have to remove the bottom one to get the swing arm to drop).

I've removed the belt guards quite sometime ago so that won't be the issue Smiley

It does sounds like it is easy to remove the rear wheel. Removing something often is... But I don't want to screw up putting the rearwheel back in place. If it is the exact opposite of removing it should be a piece of cake but won't it be a problem with the belt? I don't want the tension to drop or something. (in other words what should I pay attention to when I put the wheel back on?) Undecided

Putting the rear fender back on without removing the wheel or anything else isn't an option since there isn't enough room to put my hand between the bolt and the wheel (and tools won't fit then either) I've tried it the other day but no succes.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #5 - 05/04/15 at 08:36:29

The tire goes back on just the way it came off. Make note of the marks on the adjuster so you can get the belt back in the same position. I'd also make note of the tension so you know you have it correct.

From my experience of removing the fender you'll want to use a socket with a long extension. Regarding the two innder fender bolts, I believe that the Suzuki used red loctite (or similar) or the welded nut purposely has an interference fit, because the bolts were tight and required some effort to fully remove. This is why I say you'll want to remove the tire; access and leverage.

IP Logged
TheNewBee1
YaBB Newbies

Just Roll

Reply #6 - 05/04/15 at 08:43:49

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/04/15 at 08:36:29:
The tire goes back on just the way it came off. Make note of the marks on the adjuster so you can get the belt back in the same position. I'd also make note of the tension so you know you have it correct.

From my experience of removing the fender you'll want to use a socket with a long extension. Regarding the two innder fender bolts, I believe that the Suzuki used red loctite (or similar) or the welded nut purposely has an interference fit, because the bolts were tight and required some effort to fully remove. This is why I say you'll want to remove the tire; access and leverage.

All right. I have a go at it in the weekend.  Wish me luck Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 05/04/15 at 09:10:52

Luck!

BTW, you only need to jack the bike up enough to get the wheel off the ground (like 5-10mm high). Loosen the axle nut before you jack it up.  I use tie-down straps on the handlebars to support the front of the bike so it's stable with the rear tire removed.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 05/04/15 at 11:01:18

I was terrified to remove the rear wheel on mine. I even watched as the mechanic at the garage did it. Once I did it myself, it was easy peasy. The only thing I can add to the advice  you already received is to loosen the belt tensioners before removing the axle and count the turns so it is easier to get back to where it all began.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/04/15 at 11:16:38

Greg wrote on 05/04/15 at 11:01:18:
The only thing I can add to the advice  you already received is to loosen the belt tensioners before removing the axle and count the turns so it is easier to get back to where it all began.

If you need to loosen them, they're too tight.
I never do.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/04/15 at 11:17:42

It is interesting on how many different ways people think are the way to do the rear wheel remove/replace.  This is just the way I do it.

I never touch the adjusters.  There is (barely) enough slack in the belt to put the wheel back on with them set "as they were".  However, backing them off (and counting the turns as suggested by Greg) will give you more room to jockey and jiggle the wheel in place and get the axle through.

My method involves lowering the bike onto the wheel instead of lifting the wheel up to the bike.  This is especially a good idea if you are doing it alone.  Keeping all the pieces together, getting the brake arm on the swing arm correctly, AND lining up the holes is easier that way.

And a jack that will lift the bike higher will let you just roll the wheel out past the license plate instead of wiggling it out of the fender well.

« Last Edit: 05/04/15 at 18:56:46 by Dave »  

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
TheNewBee1
YaBB Newbies

Just Roll

Reply #11 - 05/27/15 at 04:56:37

After lifting the bike up in the air (about 10cm) and placing it on some briks, I removed both springs and the tire dropped to the floor easely. Now I had enough room to mount the rear fender without to much hassle.

Thanks for all the advice! Much appreciated!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear fender

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.