Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
does any one else have this (Read 456 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
does any one else have this
05/03/15 at 10:42:51

It seems when I fill my gas tank on the kick stand ,then stand it up balanced the gas level goes higher ,and some leaks out,with the cap on. . If I'm real careful and balance the bike while I'm filling, so It doesn't go high , I don't have a problem ,and when I'm riding there is no problem. It's hard to see in there . I don't really think it's the cap gasket , but I don't know. Any one else experience this? Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: does any one else have this
Reply #1 - 05/03/15 at 11:25:14

when level, don't fill above the bottom of the fill tube.
of course you could need a new gas cap gasket.
how old your bike?

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 05/03/15 at 12:11:31

My bike is a 2005.It's just hard to see in the tank ,and balance the bike,while filling .I suppose I could bring a brick with me.I'll have try your suggestion.Thanks!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 05/03/15 at 12:41:41

If you want a few miles more range, you have to live with the seepage. Don't cram fill a hot engine and then go for food or drink. If you intend to cram fill, start riding immediately

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 05/03/15 at 19:42:45

I don't know how many times I've overflowed the tank when not paying attention. That's a very bad thing when the engine is hot!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 05/05/15 at 13:07:41

Had same problem as a new rider. As noted, the solution is when on the kickstand, fill only to the bottom of the fill tube (you'll see it sticking down in there about 1.5" below the cap). When you stand it up to leave, don't "throw" it up level off the stand and slosh the fuel aggressively to the right side of the tank, just be gentle and level the bike out.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 05/05/15 at 20:01:25

rl153
I carry some extra gas in my saddle bag.   I find an empty "Sea Foam" can works good , along with a little sea-foam for fuel preservative

Filling only to the filler-neck works for me  Smiley.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 05/06/15 at 03:29:11

I carry a small pen-light that I use when filling, and fill it up to the bottom of the neck. Then I take a china marker (grease pencil), add 100 to the mileage on the odo and write it on the right side mirror. When the numbers get close I stop for gas.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/06/15 at 07:32:51

I didnt write the mileage, but I did use a lite and stood the bike up and was careful. Gas on the pants is Zero fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #9 - 05/07/15 at 15:20:21

A friend of mine (the one who actually turned me onto savages) told me when he had his, what he would do is:

1. Fill it
2. Cap it
3. With the bike still on it's kickstand and in neutral, he'd start it up and let it run for a few seconds before taking off

He didn't say anything to me about the level, I would just stick to what these gentlemen are saying about going to roughly the bottom of the fill tube. Mine is a 2014 and I'll still have it spill out on me occasionally. I try not to lean too hard to the right after a fill up.

Personally, I've just started not getting it to the brim. As long as I get 100 miles out of a tank before switching to reserve (stock petcock) I'm satisfied. I aim to fuel up on the 100's personally, or at least keep a mental note of when I last fueled up.

Happy riding, hope you get it cleared up.  Smiley

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 05/07/15 at 18:40:08

I don't know why ,but I get bad gas milage,only about 60 to 70 miles per tank. The bike runs good with alot of power ,and doesn't backfire,so I think I won't mess with it.I think verslagens sugestion,to balance the bike ,then fill it to the bottom of the fill tube will solve my problem along with a flashlight. Thanks for all the input.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/07/15 at 18:42:55

rl153 wrote on 05/07/15 at 18:40:08:
I don't know why ,but I get bad gas milage,only about 60 to 70 miles per tank.

Do you ride in 1st and 2nd gear most of the time? Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 05/07/15 at 18:44:43

So you're getting ~20-25 mpg?!?!?

Somethin' ain't right!  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #13 - 05/07/15 at 18:50:51

I do ride around  in town alot ,so I'm always going through the gears,That might have something to do with it.I don't go on the highway really.There probably is something wrong,but I don't know what.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/07/15 at 19:01:43

A rolodex card , billfold, write down mileage, gallons, do the math, dont guess. At 25 MPG,that thing ottsta smoke.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 17:01:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › does any one else have this

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.