HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
carb...electrical unit?
05/03/15 at 09:19:16

Hi folks!
I know this has been covered before but I can't find the thread  Sad
My Clymer's manual doesn't seem to mention it.
So can I 'pick your brains' to help me identify the small 'thing' that is joined to the right-hand side of my carb, please?
It is next to (what I presume is) the TEV, and has 2 electrical wires coming from it which then disappear under the tank.
The bike is a '96 model, and it's a UK bike (as far as I'm aware).
Many thanks in advance. I hope this picture works .....

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: carb...electrical unit?
Reply #1 - 05/03/15 at 10:09:16

It LOOKS like a switch activated by the lever on the shaft so close to it.

Why it's there, beyond me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/03/15 at 10:24:30

We had the first forum member show us one of these a few months ago.  It is some kind of a switch that activates something when full throttle is applied - but we have no proof of what it does.  Speculation is that under full throttle the spark advance would be reduced a bit to prevent detonation....but that is just guessing on our part.

It is not on any US bikes.....only to European countries have weighed in on seeing them on their bikes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/03/15 at 10:37:43

That puts you in line to trace the wires and see if you can figure out where they go, which will hopefully tell us what it does.
Id have to get a volt meter and see if either side is hot,
Ohms, is the switch open or closed.
Some are normally open, some, closed, you need to know.
When the lever presses the switch, any number of things could happen.
Voltage applied or removed.
Ground applied or denied.
Denied ground circuits are common. The switch Provides the ground to activate the circuit.
Horns on cars commonly use it. Push the button, create the ground connection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HovisPresley
Serious Thumper

Good Vibrations!

Midlands, UK
Reply #4 - 05/03/15 at 11:15:30

Thanks for the swift replies, gentlemen.

I'm going to remove the tank very soon so that I can: 1. fit the (genuine) Raptor fuel-tap that I bought, and 2. do the "anti-rattle-speedo-mod".
With the tank off, I'll trace the wires back from the 'carb-mystery-device' to see where they go, and I'll test it with my multimeter and post the results.

I'm also thinking of smearing some silicon sealant on the outside of all the electrical connection blocks (where the wires enter) that are under the tank, just to add a bit of waterproofing. Getting caught in the rain is a hobby of us Brits!

Is there anything else that I should consider doing whilst the tank is off?

Many thanks  Cool

'96 Bobbobbobber
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 05/03/15 at 14:01:18

Could it be a "throttle limiter or stop"?  I know some countries have them for younger riders... just thought I would throw that out there.

Do you have a cycle shop nearby? with an old codger that has been working on them for centuries? LOL.... we have a couple of those in my area here in florida, nice guys even if they look tough!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/03/15 at 18:42:14

old_rider wrote on 05/03/15 at 14:01:18:
Could it be a "throttle limiter or stop"?  I know some countries have them for younger riders... just thought I would throw that out there.

Do you have a cycle shop nearby? with an old codger that has been working on them for centuries? LOL.... we have a couple of those in my area here in florida, nice guys even if they look tough!

From the previous thread...it switches something on/off when the throttle is opened fully.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/03/15 at 18:47:00

HovisPresley wrote on 05/03/15 at 11:15:30:
I'm also thinking of smearing some silicon sealant on the outside of all the electrical connection blocks (where the wires enter) that are under the tank, just to add a bit of waterproofing. Getting caught in the rain is a hobby of us Brits!

The wiring harness has a piece of black electrical tape over the boot that covers the connectors.  Remove that small piece of tape, pull the boot back, and then take the connectors apart and put the dialectric grease in the female sockets.  Then push them back together and slide the boot back over the connector - then be sure to put a new piece of tape to seal the boot to the wiring harness.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb...electrical unit?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.