Red Hot Dyna Exhaust (Read 370 times)
Tjw
YaBB Newbies

Ride it like you
stole it!

Des Moines, Iowa
Red Hot Dyna Exhaust
05/01/15 at 19:28:18

I recently bought my first savage(2003, 5,700 miles) about 2 weeks ago.  I did a dyna slip on exhaust this week, following the install I found in the forums, using the tin can method.  I know there is a small exhaust leak at the head, and the bike is burping a little bit when shifting, up and down, and when I cut off the throttle quickly.

Tonight my buddy and I took our bikes on the highway, going speeds of about 60-65.  It felt fine, was just feeling the bikes vibration quite a bit in the handlebars.  When we pulled off the side of the road, the pipe was flaming out the end pretty bad so I cut the engine.  When we looked inside the Dyna it was RED HOT!   Undecided Freaked me out a bit.  We let it cool down till it wasn't glowing anymore, then took it slow on the way home, about 15 or 20 minutes of going 45.  When we got home, there were no flames, but when I cut the engine and looked in again it was still red hot, though not as bad as before.

I have not rejetted the bike, was going to wait until the exhaust leak was fixed, and I'm not sure if the white spacer mod has been done or not.  The brass plug over the air/fuel mixture cap was off when I bought it, so I have been trying to tune the carb a little bit with that.

Is this normal? Is this bad? You guys are the experts of this bike! Help! :'(

TJW
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Red Hot Dyna Exhaust
Reply #1 - 05/01/15 at 19:57:36

TJW,

Sometime along about 2006 Harley added catalytic converters to their Dyna mufflers. I am thinking that your muffler could be equipped with a catalytic converter causing the extreme heat and flames.

If you check the numbers on the muffler I think the last 2 numbers indicate the year of manufacture.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/01/15 at 20:00:24

Ohh no, not a cataclysmic perverter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tjw
YaBB Newbies

Ride it like you
stole it!

Des Moines, Iowa
Reply #3 - 05/01/15 at 20:02:30

The numbers on the pipe are 65747-94.

TJW
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #4 - 05/01/15 at 20:07:59

TJW,

94 should indicate the year of manufacture which should be 1994 and was long before the catalytic converter.

Maybe one of the more experienced guys will chime in with the correct answer to the heat. If not, call the Harley shop near you and the parts department should be able to tell you if it has the converter.

It would be good to fix the leak where the header goes into the head.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/01/15 at 20:11:32

Cold engine, gentle hand, 1/4" drive, fingers only. I'd be very careful, since you're unfamiliar with the maintenance it's had.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tjw
YaBB Newbies

Ride it like you
stole it!

Des Moines, Iowa
Reply #6 - 05/01/15 at 20:14:00

What do you mean Justin?

TJW
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/01/15 at 20:27:05

Kenny said
It would be good to fix the leak where the header goes into the head.

I'm cautioning you. I don't know anything about your abilities or the condition of the bike. I Do know that threads stripped out of the head
are a considerable problem. I settled on snugging mine a tad every so often rather than risk it. The bike shakes, stuff loosens up, no biggie.. a little mediumm locktite, maybe swap them out for studs.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 05/01/15 at 20:29:25

Kenny, the "94" is not the year of manufacture. It's the year of the last update.

For example, that version could have been used from 1994 until 2002. In 2003 (hypothetically) there would be a model number change to, presumably, 03. As far as I know the only way to tell what year the muffler is, is to take the word of the seller. I don't think HD stamps them with a model year. Mine isn't.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 05/01/15 at 20:42:45

The big gasket between the header and head gets really compressed after only one or two header removals and will leak bigtime. Start fresh with a new gasket before risking stripping the studs out by over tightening. Just my thoughts on it.
 A red hot exhaust could show that the carb needs a rejet because of the new muffler. Take little steps with tuning, one change at a time.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #10 - 05/01/15 at 20:46:24

Kris,

When I bought the Dyna muffler for my S40, from a guy here on the forum, I called the Harley Shop and read off the whole string of numbers to Carolina and the numbers ended with 96. She called me back and told me the muffler had been manufactured in 1996.

Maybe Harley doesn't know as much about it as you do.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 05/01/15 at 21:46:08

Don't worry too much about the glowing pipe... (what happens back there. stays back there)... (and it's kinda' cool)...
It would be good to adjust your jetting... probably just a little bump up on the main jet...try  #150...  maybe 2/3 on the needle jet spacer to smooth out the mid-range... (nothing is critical, just incrementally better or worse)...
...and a new header gasket would probably help seal that leak... (I left my old one on, and added a new one, because it felt like the threads were bottoming out)...
...but this is a tough engine... you shouldn't worry too much...
Make this process fun,.. not a panic...
This engine will tolerate a lot... just don't let the idle speed drop too low, it wants enough rpm to run the oil pump...
Other than that...
Fine tune and finesse... and enjoy it... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/01/15 at 21:53:40

the pipe was flaming out the end pretty bad so I cut

I'm concerned.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 05/01/15 at 23:06:49

Kenny G wrote on 05/01/15 at 20:46:24:
Kris,

When I bought the Dyna muffler for my S40, from a guy here on the forum, I called the Harley Shop and read off the whole string of numbers to Carolina and the numbers ended with 96. She called me back and told me the muffler had been manufactured in 1996.

Maybe Harley doesn't know as much about it as you do.

Kenny G

I don't pretend to be an expert but I think she is mostly correct. It could have been made IN '96 but was mostly likely made to '96 specs. The next changeover (whatever that may be) would carry the last 2 digits of that year for as long as they kept that run of mufflers. The "-94" could conceivably run til 2015.

Dealers have been known to give out bad info. They're more interested in selling vehicles.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/02/15 at 09:39:07

Harley part numbers are very easy to figure out... the last 2 numbers, the ones after the dash, are the model year that the particular item debuted. Period. Minor updates throughout the production run, and some items have not been changed, at all, since the 1960s, are ignored.

I've owned a lot of Harleys, have worked on thousands of them, and have worked in bike shops off and on for pushing 30 years.

The inside of a Dyna muffler is usually some shade of red at night, even on a Dyna. Just the nature of the design. Consider it a second rear running light, even with a proper rejetting, there will be a glow.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Red Hot Dyna Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.