Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear wheel swap to GS250 (Read 103 times)
Happybandit
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear wheel swap to GS250
05/01/15 at 16:15:51

I hope this post finds all of you well. I have an 86 that I have been modding into a cafe style bike. One of the last things I wanted to do was swap out the rear wheel.

I have looked on here about what other hubs would fit without too much trouble. I ended up ordering a GS250 wheel and tire for $75 shipped on Ebay. I just received it this morning in the mail. I was so excited to change it.

I take it to the shop and start to compare it with the stock wheel. They look to be the same size in diameter. I get the bike on the jack and begin the familiar task of taking the rear wheel off. I place them on the floor next to each other and start taking the cush pads out.

I try to put one in the GS250 hub and.....it doesn't fit. What?! It doesn't fit. It's too big. No way that it will fit. Ok, I thought. Maybe I just need to buy new cush pads. Nope. The drive pulley won't fit either. It's too big. The fins on the inside touch the outer part of the GS250 hub.

So here I am with a different tire, and not able to install it. Does anyone happen to have any thoughts? I know the first is probably to sell this one and buy another.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Rear wheel swap to GS250
Reply #1 - 05/01/15 at 17:14:34

Could you resize the photos next time? Cheers.
How about fitting the GS rim to the Savage hub, if that will work, spoke numbers and stuff.
Or get a new rim laced to that hub with new spokes.

What about going chain drive and using the GS sprocket carrier, making up any spacers as you need?

Can you cut down the cush rubbers, weld the carrier holes and re drill them to suit?

Thinking aloud: I've messed about with moulding silicone rubber in the past. I wonder if there's a suitably robust version of that we could use to mould custom cush rubbers at home? Not that I'm planing to, just an idea that came to mind.

Good luck with the project.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/01/15 at 18:01:36

Uhh, yeah, they are Huge...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/01/15 at 20:18:24

w/out a lot of heart ache, you're not going to find much as a bolt on option with spokes.

your best bet is to go with a pre-80 gs450 or gs550

and then it's likely to be a 16 or 18" rim.

and the rims are narrow.

if you're heart set on 17, then send the hub to bucannon and getRdon.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:04:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel swap to GS250

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.