Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marine Ignition (Read 69 times)
nickythegreek

Marine Ignition
04/27/15 at 07:49:53

Alrighty,

So I am switching out the stock ignition with a marine ignition/switch for my s40 chopper.  It can also be turned to use as the starter switch as well. I want to make sure that I got it all hooked up correctly.  I had it working prior to tearing down my bike for painting. I did0'nt see another thread about this on the site so figured I would do this one and we can verify that this is all correct. I'm trying to type this from memory, I'll update this starting post with the correct information once it is all figured out.  If anything seems off, please let me know.

Wiring is based off the Chopper Wiring Diagram in the Tech section.

Ignition:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAEVMK0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF...

It has 5 terminals, labeled S, C, A, M, B, M. I am only using S, A and B.
1 wire to S.
1 wire to B.
4 wires to A.

The terminals are laid out in the orientation of this image (ignore the wires):

I hook up the following wires:
B: wire leading to positive battery terminal
S: yellow/green wire from the starter relay
A: wire leading to middle contact on 3 position switch for headlight
A: wire from rear brake light (plate light)
A: spliced wire leading from rear brake light switch and rear brake light (stop light)
A: wire going to 20A fuse

Expected outcome.
Turning the key one notch will provide power to headlight switch (that will illuminate headlights if flipper) and provide power to rear brake light.  Pressing in rear brake will cause brake to be brighter by providing power to the 2nd filament. There is no wiring hooked up to rear brake light from from brake in this system.

Turning the key a second notch will put bike into On position which is where it will be while running.

Turning key past second notch engages the start button that should provide power to the starter relay, enabling the starter motor and decomp solenoid to turn over engine and start bike. When released the key automatically returns to the second notch (ON) position.

Also, does anyone know of a method to check and see if ignition has been fried due to improper wiring?

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Marine Ignition
Reply #1 - 04/27/15 at 17:27:46

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Marine Ignition
Reply #2 - 04/27/15 at 17:28:37

Well that's strange! At first it didn't allow hotlinking and now the pic shows up!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Marine Ignition

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.