Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Google "fi" is a wifi based cell service (Read 102 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Google "fi" is a wifi based cell service
04/26/15 at 16:32:24

The new Google "fi" phone service is a wifi based cell service with data and is supported by multiple networks towers -- that only costs $30 a month per line (including a gig of data on top of the unlimited calling and texting).

It is not as cheap as Republic Wireless, which only costs $24 a month per line (with options to go as low as $10 a month per line).  RW is not as nice as Google fi, but it is running around half the price and that makes it a better deal to me.

Neither are as good price-wise as VIBER which is a within-group app based service that you get all your people to sign on to and then everybody can talk and text within VIBER for free using wifi capable cell phones over wifi even those phones that are out of service with any carrier.

Viber also works with most tablets as long as they have a mic and a speaker -- how's that for amazing?   You can make wifi phone calls without even using a phone.

VIBER is good anywhere in the world and is always free within-group.  VIBER also will function while you are still using a carrier on the phone, and people will do that just to cut down on roaming and other rip-off level charges.

Example, when you go out of country on vacation and are faced with international roaming rates to call home, use VIBER instead and save hundreds of dollars in roaming charges.

What does this all mean to you?   Go look at your cell phone bill.

Dropping $40-$60-$80 per line for cell phone service is NO LONGER NECESSARY.     Paying big big bucks for roaming isn't necessary either.

Huh   .... so, why are you still doing it?  

Me, I pay $12.83 per month for my Republic Wireless phone service after buying the RW Moto G phone outright for $149.

« Last Edit: 04/26/15 at 18:03:03 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Google "fi" is a wifi based cell service
Reply #1 - 04/26/15 at 16:48:12

I just get such a kick outta reading this stuff. I actually got a bit out of that one.
The wife just got a new phone,just had to,ya know, bigger screen and all that..

I'm pretty sure my friend's gonna haul me to get lawnmower parts and I believe that there is a hobby shop in between. I'm looking forward to getting a plane in the air.
I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't have a cell phone.

I don't think there is gonna be much said. Besides,she wants to see me doing something again..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Google "fi" is a wifi based cell ser
Reply #2 - 04/26/15 at 18:23:06

Justin,

Google intends to make the point that wifi being freely available all over the place makes these current extremely high monthly carrier charges somewhat ridiculous, and some cooperation between the carriers would mean NOT having to build all those repeatedly duplicated towers all over the place.  

That is corporate ego in action -- grotesque amounts of wasted money due to NON-cooperation.

We are paying WAY too much for cell phone service right now and part of it is some intentional historical manipulation by AT&T and Verizon.

DID YOU KNOW that you pay on average $16 a month for 2G data service that you don't know about and would never ever even use even if you did know about it?   It is part of what is called "breakage" and it is built into all the big guys monthly charge rates.  

Did you know you get OVERCHARGED 15%-20%  for the data plans you did sign up for just to cover the people who go way way over on their data plans each month?   They wind up paying a huge penalty in the next month too, but the carrier wants to have the funds on hand to pay his own bills in the month they come due, so you all pay more "breakage" to cover the carrier's monthly cash flow.

Both Google fi and Republic Wireless will credit you back month on month for any data you do not actually use in that month.   The other guys will just bank this "free money" into their own bank accounts.   You are being ripped off, systematically, and then charged "breakage" on top of that.

Did you know that ~$695 per two year period is built right into your plan to cover the "replacement cell phone costs" -- in an era where NO cell phone cost a carrier much more than $400 even for the very most expensive phones out there, and you personally can buy good LTE serviceable phones now for as low as $150 direct from Amazon?  

That that "free upgrade phone" you sometimes get for "free" still costs you $695 or thereabouts?    Yep, built right into the plan ....  a $500 extra profit per each free phone for the carrier.

You are being shagged, lined up and bent over the service counter.   And charged "breakage" for your trouble to boot.

Embarrassed     If your cell phone bill is over $150 in total for a family of 4, you simply aren't doing it right AT ALL.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/26/15 at 18:29:44

Thank You for taking the time to look at all that.
I'm pretty sure even idiots like me could figure out something was wrong if everywhere there was a bridge we all had to cross either the Chevy bridge or maybe the Suzuki bridge..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/26/15 at 18:37:57

Good analogy -- nobody builds duplicate bridges because of "corporate ego" now do they?

https://republicwireless.com/labs/maestro/      click on it then click on the video and watch it

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/26/15 at 19:13:32

Yeah, kinda makes me think about the way the hospital does it.
Back when it was only a small percentage who didn't pay, they only screwed everyone else a little.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 04/27/15 at 02:10:11

Back in the day, my brother and I used yahoo friends list to "video chat".... and saved bundles on phone charges.
Was pretty kewl.... we could take the laptop and turn it around and show off our newest purchases or projects we had just completed.
Kinda sounds like the "Wi-Fi" thingie.... if you have internet access, you have the ability to "chat" with anyone, and can do so instantly..... if they are online...
What does the Wi-Fi phone do? if you are not near a source? does the program save the call? or message?

Going to download Viber to an old HTC smart phone.... The one I have been using Omand maps on....

Changed my mind when I looked at what they want access to be able to do, "record audio, take pictures and videos" , why they want to be able to do that? The even state they want to be able to "disable keylock", what the?
I know most programs want to be able to edit your files to install or update... but why do they want to disable my personal keylock?  and use my phone to record audio, and take videos? seems a little personal..
I had not really noticed all that stuff before... thought I would read it and see what I was agreeing to.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/27/15 at 08:54:33

Most map apps ask for all sorts of rights because they need to update themselves after the screen goes dead at the end of your set XX minutes, etc.

VIBER is having to create an imaginary phone switchboard system that includes you and your phone and for you to get inbound messages when your phone is blank it has to "be you" for you.

My family members think Viber is for kids, and it comes across that way at first glance since it supports the kids sticker stuff, etc.    Parents are using Viber to give the kid the ability to make calls to their friends and family without getting into being able to order stuff on-line, etc.

Waze comes across that way too as it is pretty cutesy too.

You do realize that Viber does video calling too, which is why it wants access to your camera and mic.

« Last Edit: 04/28/15 at 07:08:38 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #8 - 04/27/15 at 09:16:55

Quote:
… You are being shagged, lined up and bent over the service counter. …

Couple of years ago, bought a new phone.
(One that made ‘phone calls’, not a hand held computer that was, ’supposed’ to be ‘glued’ to the side of my head)

Next bill I got, (Verision), their was a 30.00 charge for, ‘new equipment’.
I promptly called them up, and, ‘gently’ explained:
“I do NOT, pay more for gas, when I put new tires on my car”
They, promptly credited my account.

But, now many several hundreds of thousands of, shepoll,
Just, ‘paid’ that 30.00 bucks, resulting in a million + dollar bonus, for the company, each month?

Simple, the Vast, VAST, Majority of shepol, will just pay it with out question. So, most people, will do it again, and again, and again !

Just like the spoiled 6 year old, in the store, who cry's, and yells, and throws a tantrum, for a bag of candy.
That child, KNOWS, (has learned from past experiences).
That the Parent, 'gives', in, rather than, the parent giving a swift slap on the butt, or grabbing their hand, and walking out of the store.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 04/28/15 at 09:06:45

My battery is dying on my HTC and is non-replacable (well not without get difficulty, its glued in there)
SO I looked at RW, but all their phones are built the same way, and you HAVE to use thier phone as it is set up for the wifi-cell hand off. The idea is nice... but I haven't bit yet.
I looked at BYOP at AT&T and it can be done.. but only @ $45/month. Which is more than contract??

I keep waiting for something to get better.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 04/28/15 at 09:23:33

Google fi only works on Nexus 6 (which is a BIG ARSED phone with non-removable battery and either 32 or 64 megs of on board memory and no SD card slot).

RW is coming out with some new phones, but if you don't like the Moto X you probably won't like the new phones either.

Still, RW w/data is $24 a month and Google fi is $30 a month with data (but they give you credit back month on month for unused data).

Point being, DON'T PAY THE HUGE RATES AT AT&T AND VERIZON WITHOUT KNOWING THERE IS OTHER STUFF OUT THERE.

« Last Edit: 04/29/15 at 09:41:41 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 04/29/15 at 07:00:18

As an aside RW did have a pretty neat idea... Buy the $100 phone and get the $5 wifi only service... then use it as your HOME phone. This beats everything except "magicjack".
I already use VOIP and Vonage for about $8 per month. I get to use my own phone, and have a little Vonage box hardwired in. The difference is I have a limit of 200 minutes versus the unlimited for the RW. Still I think the RW idea has merit.  Whats fun about thier idea is the number/line follows the phone.. so if I end up in a hotel with wifi.. I can take the RW with me and viola'... free calls.  Its not a replacement for Cell service, but its a neat idea.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 04/29/15 at 09:38:31

Yup, and if you take the $10 plan you have cell phone calls, texting and wifi based data services all the time -- that is 95% of what I do anyway.

Data is interesting -- I can log on to a wifi anywhere I go and get full unlimited use of Data.  Most stores have wifi now, so if you are shopping somewhere you are likely covered.

HOWEVER, if I was going on vacation I'd turn on the $24 plan for just the days I was out on vacation.   This gives me EVERYTHING, talk text and cellular Data everywhere Sprint goes, which is coverage on all cities and interstates everywhere on the East Coast.

So my steady plan is the $10 plan and my vacation plan (just for the days of vacation) is the $24 plan.

The $5 plan would work at the house just fine like you said, or anyplace I went that had good wifi, but the reason you spend the additional $5 to get Sprint cell tower coverage is the seamless transfer from wifi to Sprint towers when moving in a car, etc.   By seamless, I mean you really never notice it going on -- it is just that even and smooth.

Now Google is working on the cell tower guys to make it possible to have plans that seamlessly swap freely between different carrier's cell towers and standard wifi.  They have it working good at LTE speeds with both Sprint and T-Mobile and standard wifi right now which is where it will stay for a while since both AT&T and Verizon have got a stick up their butts about sharing anything or cooperating with anybody right now.

I changed my wife over this week to Republic Wireless, so far she hasn't hit an issue that wasn't just "learning the buttons" on her new phone.

(knock on wood)

The stuff WORKS .... and my per line total monthly charges AFTER TAXES are $12.87 per line which is less than the monthly surcharges and "taxes" I used to pay per line per month from Verizon the rip-off store.  Yep, the actual taxes on a line are supposed to be only $2.87 a month -- go see what AT&T and Verizon are charging YOU per month and get a flavor for what "breakage" really is for you right now.

=======================================

I was curious about the ongoing charges and I just looked at last month's credit card hit from Republic Wireless.    It was $24.36 for TWO lines on the $10 a month plan, so they actually charged me less in taxes than what they estimated they were going to.

========================================

So, Google fi is worth looking into if you are a high roller, Republic Wireless is worth looking into if you are NOT a high roller.

The 3G issue no longer worries me, btw, because I just found out the hard way that the only 4G/LTE towers in my town are by the mall, directly downtown and by the interstate -- and definitely NOT out where I live.  

Paying for 4G/LTE is pretty much a waste of money both on the cost of the phone and on the monthly plan charges unless you live in a MAJOR city with complete 4G/LTE coverage.

« Last Edit: 05/01/15 at 09:34:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:24:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Google "fi" is a wifi based cell service

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.