Send Topic Print
Handlebar Vibrations (Read 55 times)
CliffRacer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Handlebar Vibrations
04/21/15 at 11:10:50

I bought an S40 for my wife as a starter bike several years ago. For the most part the bike is pretty good. It was a nice, laid-back ride and great for someone to get used to riding. I even like to take it out when I needed a break from my sport bike.

The only thing that I hate, and frankly makes me wish I had never gotten it, is the handlebar vibration this thing gets at freeway speeds. Had I known this was an issue, there is no way I would have signed the paperwork on this bike. Seriously, riding this bike on the highway is like holding on to a cheap power tool from Harbor Freight.

I was hoping you guys on the forum may have dealt with this issue. I've done a fair amount of looking around and seen a number of possible solutions but would love to get perspective from actual S40 owners before I tear apart the handlebars of my wife's pristine ride. We live in an urban area so the better riding is outside the city and to get there you gotta take the freeway so its hard for her to enjoy the ride as much as I do and I really want to change that for her.

I know the vibration has a lot to do with this being a single cylinder engine but there has to be someone here that has been able to at least improve it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Handlebar Vibrations
Reply #1 - 04/21/15 at 11:18:29

Have you checked the motor mounts....especially the one at the top of the cylinder head to make sure they are tight?  It is not uncommon for vibrations to be from loose motor mounts.  There are two long bolts that go through the footpeg mounts, one on top of the cylinder, one at the bottom rear, and one at the rear at the top of the transmission.

What year is the bike...which handlebars does the bike have?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CliffRacer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/21/15 at 11:30:17

Thanks for the fast reply! We have a 2012 S40, but I am not sure how to describe the bars, basically its the one in the link below just a year older.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard%20S40/2...

Do you think that the motor mounts would be loose straight off the showroom floor? If so, that would sure explain a lot, cause that vibration has been there since day one Smiley I am going to check those this week at the same time I put the battery back in.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/21/15 at 11:56:15

Those are called "drag bars" on this forum...the earlier style are called "buckhorns".

We really get very few complaints about vibration on this bike unless the motor mounts are loose.  You would think that the mounts would have been tight from the factory - but mine had a loose flywheel nut and started making noise at 400 miles....so anything is possible.

I suppose if you are used to a smooth 4 cylinder bike....this bike could feel a bit buzzy at speed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CliffRacer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/15 at 12:00:41

I am really itching to check those bolts now! My bike is a SV650 and even though its a V-Twin, it rides a heck of a lot smoother. The S40 is great at speeds up to 55 mph though.

Anyway, I'll check those out this week and update the post. Thanks again!

IP Logged
CliffRacer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/21/15 at 12:47:04

One more question: You gave a good description of the bolts for the motor mount. I am a little on the paranoid side when it comes to working on my ride, is there a place on the forum that has pics of those specifically?

I am doing some googling right now and not coming up with much

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:25:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar Vibrations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.