Send Topic Print
5 wire tach install? (Read 310 times)
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
5 wire tach install?
04/18/15 at 18:12:11

So I picked up a tach off eBay that was from a US distributor (still made in China though) and of course it had zero instructions. Was about to pull a pic off Google that gave me an idea of what wire was what. Light has power and ground then there are 3 wires for the tach operation. Green is negative electrode, black is positive electrode and I'm guessing that's + and - on the coil. It's the yellow contacts signal and some models high voltage signal that I'm not sure of?

I searched far and wide but either didn't understand what I saw in previous threads or didn't find it. Either way I'm lost and dont want to hook it up wrong and fry it. I'm gonna re visit the threads and see if I just missed the explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

image_245.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Re: 5 wire tach install?
Reply #1 - 04/18/15 at 22:43:32

Did some more searching and finally figured it out. Tapped the light wires into the vacant horn power. Fed the coil wires up thru the tunnel and got the connected. Grounded everything on an unused factory bolt location left over from the bobber conversion. Everything is all buttoned up and wires heat shrunk and tucked away.

May not seem very useful where they are mounted but I wanted a clean triple tree and nothing above the bars. Surprisingly they are both in my extended field of view. To be honest I rarely even look at the speedo unless I see the fuzz and feel I'm going to fast. The tach was more for idle speed and to get an idea of what RPMs I'm at while cruising in specific gears. All I all I'm super happy.

25 bucks for both off eBay. Got them in 2 days and on e I figured out which wire was which took about 30 minutes to install. Took a test run to heat it up and see where my idle speed was and I was sitting at about 1400 RPMs which didn't feel bad without knowledge of the exact rpm. Now I know where it's sitting. Ran the gears out to up to 4500 to see what that felt like and realized when I thought I was pushing each gear I actually had quite a bit to go.

image_246.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/19/15 at 06:33:21

I've been playing with the idea of adding a tach. I know, I know...it's not very useful but I like to watch the needle move!  Tongue

How steady is the needle? Being a big single doesn't lend itself to steady tach movement.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 04/19/15 at 13:59:01

@Kris01

Ya I've read the nay sayers who say it's a waste of money. It was nice to see that my idle was high when I felt it was normal. And even nicer to see that when I felt I was pushing the RPM limit in a few gears I was barely at. 4k with room to go.

For a cheapo tach off eBay it's very responsive. Seems a little slow to drop but that may be due to the 14" or so of wire between the tach and the coil. Not sure if it's like stereo amp power where you have a slight loss of signal power per so much distance of wire. I'm happy and at $25, free shipping to my door in 2 days and a relatively easy install once I figured it out you can't beat it.

I did not however use the individual mount brackets so if anyone needs them I'd throw them in an envelope and send them your way.

image_247.jpg

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/19/15 at 14:55:55

Rylee,

I would like to have the mount brackets that you are not going to use.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 04/19/15 at 15:06:26

Got a link to the tach?

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #6 - 04/19/15 at 15:35:23

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360998614688

Here's the link for just the tach. I got the speedo tach combo because I wanted the mounting bracket that came with it. The speedo is in kilometers though or I'd swap it for my RYCA tach

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/19/15 at 16:46:53

Rylee wrote on 04/19/15 at 13:59:01:
@Kris01

For a cheapo tach off eBay it's very responsive. Seems a little slow to drop but that may be due to the 14" or so of wire between the tach and the coil.

Electricity wouldn't care if the 14 inches was 14 feet on a tach....it requires a tiny amount of current.  Most likely the slow return is caused by the mass/inertia in the needle.  The needle to return the needle back is pretty light compared to the electric up-swing of the needle.  This occurs on most tachs with needles.......higher accuracy is available on digital displays or tachs that have needles that are LED screens.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #8 - 10/13/15 at 20:32:42

I bought this tach to help monitor my idle speed.  Can anyone give any clarification on how to wire it? Mine is wired the same as the one pictured above in the previous post.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 10/14/15 at 20:30:23

Not sure I understand your question. The wiring is posted in the 1st post.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 10/14/15 at 20:59:14

Black - ground for the light
Red - power for the light

Black - power for gauge
Green - ground for gauge

Yellow - tach signal. I assume you make a few wraps around the spark plug.

IP Logged
JutMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Poconos
Reply #11 - 10/15/15 at 19:56:52

Kris01 wrote on 10/14/15 at 20:59:14:
Black - ground for the light
Red - power for the light

Black - power for gauge
Green - ground for gauge

Yellow - tach signal. I assume you make a few wraps around the spark plug.

The yellow wire was what was stumping me.  After looking at how the RYCA one was done, they kind of jammed it up in with the coil wire.

2005 S40 / Jetted / Dyna / Raptor Petcock / Pegs, Signals and Grips Changed / Front Seat Lift
Future: Repaint / Sportster Seat / Breaklight
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 10/16/15 at 16:59:25

I think most of them you are supposed to strip a few inches off the tach signal wire and wrap it around the spark plug. I guess the same thing could be done by connecting it to the coil.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/17/15 at 04:45:56

Kris01 wrote on 10/16/15 at 16:59:25:
I think most of them you are supposed to strip a few inches off the tach signal wire and wrap it around the spark plug. I guess the same thing could be done by connecting it to the coil.

I believe most electronic tachs can use the wrap around the spark plug method, and some of those require a resister if you are going to connect directly to the coil wire.  (My Trail Tech Vapor had all kinds of wacko readings without the resistor and would spike the rpm when you used the turn signals, and also had an rpm where the reading would spike and give false readings and trigger the alarms for rpm).

Most mechanical tachs (needle swings) require direct connection to the coil wire.

Some tachs like the Speedhut are electronic - but have a needle that makes it look like  a mechanical tach.  It was wired directly into the coil and did not need a resistor.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/17/15 at 14:15:28

I believe the SV has a wasted spark system. Not sure how this could be universal if you were to use it on a two coil two pick up system. Make sure your not reading double what it should be. Not sure that reads how its meant too but hopefully you will get my point  Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:29:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 5 wire tach install?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.