Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Well This Stinks
04/18/15 at 10:23:50

I'm dealing with some of the hardest parts of being a pet owner right now and don't have anywhere else to vent it. Murray, my older Aussie is getting close to his 14th birthday and has been fighting lymphoma since last August. We did chemotherpy and he has been in remission and doing well up till last week when he lost his appetite. Been cooking him chicken and steak but he still won't eat a lot. I'm at a loss as what to do, he is still bright eyed and walking, just not eating like he used to.
 We lost Roonie last year suddenly and now with Murray starting to run down my wife is freaking out. Don't know what to say to her, it turns into an argument. We all deal with stress in a different way.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Well This Stinks
Reply #1 - 04/18/15 at 10:55:42

I've seen hamburger and rice be just the ticket. Broth to keep it moist and tasty. 14,,,,wow,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 04/18/15 at 11:22:05

That's always the downside to pet ownership...we humans out live most of the common pets. My wife and I have a couple dogs, Niko (Chihuahua/Poodle mix) and Lola (Schnauzer/Poodle mix) and they're both young. I don't like thinking about what I'll do whenever they begin to get older, or what my wife will do for that matter. She loves them dearly, (I do too, they're her babies though). I wish I had some "professional" advice for you...  My advice though, hug 'em, hug 'em again, hug your wife, and y'all hug 'em together.

I saw this short the other day, it's beautiful, in my opinion. Worth a watch, just be careful, I got all teary eyed the first time I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2E0x704I2s

Best Wishes, Sir.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/18/15 at 15:09:01

14 years is a good run Ed and I'm sure Murray has had a Good life. What does the vet suggest?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/18/15 at 18:09:45

We just lost our 15 year old Black and Tan Coonhound just before winter set in.  We were on bonus time...her brothers and sisters were in other families and died more then 5 years ago.

It was a huge loss for us....our first dog in our marriage.

It is horribly hard........our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/18/15 at 19:02:21

14 is getting up there in years for almost all dog breeds. What does your vet advise? He have a answer for why he is not eating as much? I would assume as with people, the older you become the less you need to eat. As long as the dog seems to be in no pain and still looks like he is enjoying life, then let him do just that. Maybe it's time to surprise your wife with a new puppy!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 04/18/15 at 19:15:10

Got him to eat some spaghetti with ground beef in the sauce tonight. Going to get him over to the vet Monday and see what tests can be done.
 Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes, it helps. I'll let everybody know what happens.
 Already have a one year old puppy named Frankie who is a handful.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 04/20/15 at 19:12:57

The old guy is doing a whole lot better, the vet gave us some special food which seems to have hit the spot. Been cooking chicken breast with a dash of oregano for him and he is getting back to his old eating habits.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 04/21/15 at 04:55:56

Not many people realize animals have feelings => they get depressed too.

I would advise against overcooking meats - their instinct is still that of a hunter i.e. raw meat.
Also, I would advise against feeding them too many carbohydrates - like feeding hotdogs to a horse Wink

Make sure their water bowl is Always full and fresh, not "any older than 8 hrs. old.
It's like drinking from last night's glass  Tongue

Splitting their food into two or three smaller meals may also help.

I once had a dog when I was still in school, but that's... 35 years ago...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/21/15 at 21:12:13

Glad your old guy is doing better, I cringe when I think of losing my furkid, I hope he will last a while yet, as long as he isn'tsuffering

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #10 - 04/25/15 at 07:38:48

The pain you feel is because of the love you got.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 04/29/15 at 12:59:47

Well got some bad news today, the old guy has been off and on his food since last week so he made a trip over to the vet for an exam and bloodwork. Results were not good with his liver enzymes all over the place. He has been in remission from lymphoma and there is a real good chance the cancer is back and in the liver. Going to have an ultrasound done to see what is going on but at his age it becomes a quality of life thing.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 04/29/15 at 13:20:15

Most of us have felt that pain, and know all too well what you are going through.

If it comes to it.. the hardest thing we ever do, is that last act of love and kindness.

Some of the longest, hardest, loneliness rides I have done in the Hill Country was after such experiences.  It helps..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 04/29/15 at 20:39:25

tough times for sure.  try to keep the good times in your mind.

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #14 - 04/29/15 at 21:29:49

"God gives us love. Something to love he lends us"
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson
My prayers are with you and you wife, Ed.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:35:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Well This Stinks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.