Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Here's an odd one - transmission gears (Read 147 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Here's an odd one - transmission gears
04/17/15 at 20:47:21

Here's a strange idea I had.

4th gear is geared 22:23 or 0.9565. 5th gear is geared 23:26 or 0.8846.

Would it be possible to take the 22 tooth gear from 4th gear and combine it with the 26 tooth gear from 5th gear to make a ratio of 22:26 or 0.8462? Are all the gears the same with the exception of the tooth count?

I know a chain conversion or Kawi pulley swap would be easier but if this might be another option.....

Anyone out there torn down their transmission enough to figure this one out?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Here's an odd one - transmission gears
Reply #1 - 04/17/15 at 20:59:26

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/17/15 at 23:19:00

I've not been inside the transmission but I would be forced to ask myself how gears with different numbers of teeth mesh unless the centers are adjusted to make room. The more teeth, the greater the circumference.
Yeah, math is involved.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/18/15 at 03:36:36

A few of us did some looking.....and even searched other Suzuki models for a 5th gear that could be exchanged.  We didn't find one that would work.

You just can't take one gear from a set...you need both as the distance between the shafts is set.  The two gears have to be made to mesh properly at the proper spacing to fit the shafts.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 04/18/15 at 07:27:19

Don't the drive gears ride on one shaft and the driven gears on another? Wouldn't the spacing already be set?

Without actually measuring, I'm assuming that a gear with twice as many teeth is twice as big in diameter. Probably not though. That would be too easy!

ASSUMING that a 5" diameter gear with 10 teeth is half the size of a 20 tooth gear that measures 10" in diameter, the idea could work, right?

Is there any resource that anyone has found that might show the dimensions of the gears that we would need? Is the shop manual helpful in this regard?

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 04/18/15 at 08:42:16

It is set.  That's what Dave is saying.  there is x.xx" between centers.  The gears have to be machined to matched pairs so that the different numbers of teeth offset each other and keep the same distance center to center.

If you move a 26 tooth in place of a 22 tooth, the 28 will be bigger around and won't fit properly with the intended mating gear.

You might also run into a problem with the number of engagement dogs on the gears being different.

If Dave says they looked and couldn't find anything, I believe there is nothing short of custom cut out there.

Mine's a 4 speed so I don't worry about the fifth that really isn't there.  I just change the 4 then phantom change to other 2 about half the time. About half the time I'm changing like it's the 6 speed on the Ninja...only disappointed to find that it won't change any more past 4.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 04/18/15 at 08:46:43

Oh well...just looking for another option.  Thinking outside the box is called progress in some circles...except when you're dealing with a bike that's not compatible with any other product out there. Does that make us special?  Cheesy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/18/15 at 09:44:05

I'd love a taller 5th gear... but,...
I ain't tearin' into the tranny fer' nuttin"... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #8 - 04/18/15 at 13:56:58

I agree. I'm too chicken just to make some measurements.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/18/15 at 15:21:52

Here's a strange idea I had.

Don't worry,,,, All creative types have an idea in an area where they simply lack sufficient experience to really be able to know if it's possible or not.
You aren't the first..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 04/18/15 at 21:51:29

Hi Kris,

In reply #4, you were saying about a 5" 10 tooth should be half as big as a 10" 20 tooth.

In your example, the spacing between the teeth on the bigger gear will be much larger.  You're dealing with the distance around the outer edge of the gear which is diameter difference*pi. 5*3.1415279=~15.7" difference in distance around.

You have to calculate the diameters of the mating gears such that the tooth spacing matches for the distance around and gives you the correct distance between centers.  New gears could be made by someone with the knowledge and equipment to cut and harden them if you sent them the drawings of what you wanted.  It would cost you at least a few hundred bucks. But, you could conceivably change the ratios.

There are also other problems dealing with the amount of torque put on the gears changing as their size changes. The gear engagement tries to force the gears apart when power is applied. Shafts and bearings have to be able to handle the load. The teeth have to be small enough to mesh well at the desired ratio.  Too small and they can't take the load and strip off.  Too big and very noisy and lots of vibration causing excessive wear.

My hat's off to the designers of transmissions.  There's so much to thnk about and work with to just come up with a plausible design that will have to be refined from R&D making prototypes and trying things.

I hope something I've said makes sense.  I bet Dave can explain it much better than I.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 04/18/15 at 23:28:18

Kris, I have a "spare" (that means junk) engine and know a shop that makes gears in the Memphis area... when shall I expect you?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 04/19/15 at 06:43:00

Steve H:
My example was just a simple one (concerning the math).  I didn't want to get too detailed with the circumference example. It would have been too confusing.

WD:
A local shop that makes gears from scratch? Is this fairly common?

I was kind of hoping some brave person would tear their transmission apart and try this so I could copy them!  Cheesy  I'm a smart guy (aren't we all?  Grin) but I'm not the type of person to try this on my own.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/19/15 at 08:16:50

I'm smart enough not to try...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 04/19/15 at 09:09:52

That's my excuse too!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:15:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here's an odd one - transmission gears

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.