Send Topic Print
New owner questions (Read 279 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Re: New owner questions
Reply #30 - 04/19/15 at 05:41:33

I obliterated (not broke, completely destroyed) 4 engines and 6 transmissions in 6 months on an FXWG... The "authorized" HD shops still won't sell me a new new, I wore out the warranty on that one.  Grin [/quote]

Lol thats how my cars get treated at times. Iam now on my second vehicle with a messed up valve amongst other problems. The bike doesnt get abuse since it will get me up to speed without winding out gears or smashing the throttle Lol. Oh and is it normal when i shut the bike off after 2 seconds it always gives a small backfire? Its no more than talking level volume but does it everytime

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #31 - 04/19/15 at 06:39:52

Normal.

Is it more of a "poof" and not a "shotgun blast"?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #32 - 04/19/15 at 07:49:43

Kris01 wrote on 04/19/15 at 06:39:52:
Normal.

Is it more of a "poof" and not a "shotgun blast"?

Its a poof. Very reliable ontime poof.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #33 - 04/19/15 at 08:01:21

That's normal.

You can rejet the carburetor richer and it may help but the engine always seems to do that. It dumps a little fuel out the exhaust pipe and that is what you hear popping as it burns. It's nothing to worry about though.

If you just don't like it, others have reported that they leave the bike in gear and release the clutch slowly while holding the brake to stop the engine. The slowing RPMs seem to allow the unburnt fuel to not build up as fast and burn, uh....quieter? That sounds weird!  Cheesy

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #34 - 04/19/15 at 08:06:14

Kris01 wrote on 04/19/15 at 08:01:21:
That's normal.

You can rejet the carburetor richer and it may help but the engine always seems to do that. It dumps a little fuel out the exhaust pipe and that is what you hear popping as it burns. It's nothing to worry about though.

If you just don't like it, others have reported that they leave the bike in gear and release the clutch slowly while holding the brake to stop the engine. The slowing RPMs seem to allow the unburnt fuel to not build up as fast and burn, uh....quieter? That sounds weird!  Cheesy

If its a nature of the beast thing then im alright with it. And it it normal to hear the upper engine at idle and lower rpm running? It doesnt sound unhealthy per say but its just different. That and im 350 lbs and 6'4. iv had it to 85 up a slight hill on the interstate easy without and stability issues. I could feel the engine vibrate alil but it was smooth.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 04/19/15 at 08:15:09

350 and 6'4"... wait a minute... I'm creating a mental picture... Huh...

Ooookay...  
That upper engine noise is normal... big air-cooled thumpers make more noise than water cooled multi's...
Bigger valves, and less water jacket block sound...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #36 - 04/19/15 at 08:49:19

Serowbot wrote on 04/19/15 at 08:15:09:
350 and 6'4"... wait a minute... I'm creating a mental picture... Huh...

Ooookay...  
That upper engine noise is normal... big air-cooled thumpers make more noise than water cooled multi's...
Bigger valves, and less water jacket block sound...

Okay good so its normal. And yes. I spent too much time weight lifting (im 23 now) in the past and im not a legs tall person. Take a normal person and scale them up to 6'4. I actually fit the bike comfortably except the brake pedal could come out to the right more.

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #37 - 04/19/15 at 08:51:03

And i could lose some weight. Never go from a highly active life style to a lazy one and forget to change your eating habits Cheesy

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 04/22/15 at 19:16:24

just so you all know, Rotella isn't just 'diesel oil' it's 'multi use' oil, and is JASO certified as a motorcycle oil in addition to it's many other uses
JASO certified means the major Japanese bike makers approve it's use in their products
and the regular Rotella T is probably as zinc laced as it needs to be straight up, though adding the Redline sure won't hurt any

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #39 - 04/22/15 at 20:02:16

I forget how much zinc (in ppm) is in Rotella T. It's listed on the forum somewhere. However, the consensus here is that it is a little low compared to what oil used to be. The prevailing thought around here is that 1100 ppm is a safe amount. I add 2 ozs of Redline to 1 gallon of Rotella T.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #40 - 04/22/15 at 20:44:49

Rotella has 1200 PPM I think, but adding redline is cheap insurance

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #41 - 04/22/15 at 21:10:55

Oops! 1200 ppm! Not 1100. My fault.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 04/23/15 at 03:33:01

Kris01 wrote on 04/22/15 at 20:02:16:
I forget how much zinc (in ppm) is in Rotella T. It's listed on the forum somewhere. However, the consensus here is that it is a little low compared to what oil used to be. The prevailing thought around here is that 1100 ppm is a safe amount. I add 2 ozs of Redline to 1 gallon of Rotella T.

Adding 2 oz. of the ZDDP additive is as much as you should be adding....don't add more than that.  I found a report that showed adding more then 1,400 ppm of zinc actually increases wear.

Dave wrote on 03/11/15 at 08:48:02:
I am sorry this has turned into an oil thread....but here is some data I found:

And keep in mind for comparison with the oils below, that earlier oil industry testing has found that above 1,400 ppm, ZDDP INCREASED long term wear, even though break-in wear was reduced. And it was also found that ZDDP above 2,000 ppm, started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling. So, no matter what zinc fans might “believe”, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing".

One fellow compared it to adding a couple of teaspoons of sugar in your COKE.....not a good thing!

It came from this document....which also has a lot of information for which oils have good reports for low wear.  (Remember....these may not be oils suitable for wet clutches - and that a lot of the racing oils do not have the additives for normal oil change intervals...racing oil is often changed after a few runs).

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #43 - 04/23/15 at 08:05:02

good find, and yup, rotella T 1200 PPM ZDDP Smiley
Dass de good stuff

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #44 - 04/23/15 at 09:12:48

What is the recommended dose of Red Line to be added for the second oil change?

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 00:57:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.