Send Topic Print
New owner questions (Read 279 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
New owner questions
04/17/15 at 12:53:47

Im not sure if this has been covered but I felt that I should ask before i take out and really run it. I got a 2001 with 4120 miles and was wondering are there any motorcycle safe oil detergents to run through it to dislodge and dissolve any sludge that may be in there prior to a proper oil change so that I can keep track of it. And is there a special procedure to take off the carb and clean it (the last 6 years of the previous owner bike has been used mostly for short trips and I know atleast with a car that leads to carbon deposits) and anything else i need to account for and to assume to be dirty asides the oil and air filter and sparkplug? I want to make sure i get as much out of that 652 as possible.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: New owner questions
Reply #1 - 04/17/15 at 13:11:02

Just to start the discussion, I feel that all you need to do is buy some of the Shell Rotella T6 that is the favoured oil on this forum, an oil filter. Get the bike well warmed up and follow the posts here on oil changes. If you feel skilled you may wish to check the tappet clearance and there are tech section  posts on doing this, you may wish to note posts about using specially bent feeler gauges for this purpose. The spark plug should last about 6000 miles, but they're cheap just make sure the cavity around the plug is well cleaned out. The techies can comment about carb cleaning.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 04/17/15 at 13:16:13

The best way to remove "sludge" would be to do the oil change while the oil is still hot.

There are additives on the market, but for the most part they are simply kerosine. If the oil was changed with any kind of frequency it shouldn't have any sludge with only 4,000 miles.

Nothing special with removing the carb...other then making sure you don't loose any parts. I do usually throw away the brass phillips-head screws and replace them with cap head screws. It will make future servicing much easier.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #3 - 04/17/15 at 13:18:59

I will keep this in mind. And i ask because i picked up the bike with oil that had no transperancy what so ever in the sight hole lol. And rotella? Isnt that like a diesel engine oil?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/17/15 at 13:20:35

spark plug , it's virtually new. Dust , grit, junk, collect down where it sits. Clean , blow, get the crud out before you pull the plug, but for now, the less you touch before getting it running the better.
Sludge? No.. The inside is new, it's had one oil change. I would be more concerned about the piston and cylinder wall. If you have not started it, good. I'd pull the plug and oil the cylinder and manually roll the motor over, depending on how long it's been sitting..
It's a wet clutch. Wrong oils are trouble. The cheapest oil that will keep this antique design happy is Rotella T 15_40. About $13.00 a gallon, or, you can spend more. One of our guys has over 100,000 miles on his. Ask him what he does.. I don't know...
If you discover an oil leak up high on the engine and you take it to a mechanic,,  it's not the head gasket, I don't care if he is Don Garlits dad, it's NOT the head gasket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/17/15 at 13:48:36

Dropping the carb isnt too difficult.

+Seat off, petcock off unless you have stock, then just drain into a gas can.

+Get the carb float bowl drained of gas.

+Remove speedo cable. Watch out for that gasket.

+Remove tank, pull back a bit and up.. please note there is a connected cable also there. Disconnect that part way through removing it.

At this point you can either drop the carb and clean it throughly or unscrew the bowl and top to just take out and clean the jets.

If you are dropping the carb.. i find it hard to put back in that tight space.

+To drop the carb.. unclamp both ends and wiggle 'er out.

Good luck!

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #6 - 04/17/15 at 15:04:42

My 3 cents. (Inflation)

If it is running fine.
Get it hot, change the oil, Use Rotilla, add Red-line.
 (See Teck Section)
Then drain the gas, and put in good gas.
Gas that does NOT have Water in it.
(Non-Oxy) gas.
You don't need a high octane, just NO WATER in the gas.

If you can't get, 'Non-Oxy' gas, make sure you put a GOOD stabilizer in the gas.  (Perhaps Stabill Marine) follow instructions.

Then it will be the Raptor Petcock, Cam Chain Adjuster, Tightening bolts,
(Not To much)  Good rubber.  Then 'tinker/add/change', as you see fit.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/17/15 at 15:27:13

If it's running,ride. Fresh gas, drain the carb bowl. Don't go fixing stuff.. do one thing at a time. Just get it running. Before you decide what to do, report as completely and accurately what you have done and what it's doing.
The oil filter CAN be installed backwards. Don't.
There's an o ring on it. Don't lose it.
Slow down, ask questions, if you change things in too many places you create variables that will be difficult to sort out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #8 - 04/17/15 at 17:34:16

MnSpring wrote on 04/17/15 at 15:04:42:
My 3 cents. (Inflation)

If it is running fine.
Get it hot, change the oil, Use Rotilla, add Red-line.
 (See Teck Section)
Then drain the gas, and put in good gas.
Gas that does NOT have Water in it.
(Non-Oxy) gas.
You don't need a high octane, just NO WATER in the gas.

If you can't get, 'Non-Oxy' gas, make sure you put a GOOD stabilizer in the gas.  (Perhaps Stabill Marine) follow instructions.

Then it will be the Raptor Petcock, Cam Chain Adjuster, Tightening bolts,
(Not To much)  Good rubber.  Then 'tinker/add/change', as you see fit.

Lol inflation love it. And it is running fine. I rode it 40 miles back home. I was just concerned as the oil in it i was told is around a year old (probably a lie) and its black as coal. And i cant get non oxygas in my area if not the whole of w.v. its all 10% ethanol unless its like 93 octane i believe. But i wanted to make sure as im about to begin using it for a 80 mile daily work commute

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 04/17/15 at 18:10:14

Oil blackens with heat,(just like cooking oil darkens in a pan)... it's not necessarily dirty...
... and this is an air-cooled engine, so it gets hot...
...but,... whenever you buy a used bike,.. put fresh oil in it... (it's part of bonding with yer' machine)... Kiss...
Modern oil has plenty of detergents in it,... Shell Rotella is a diesel oil, but it's also best for our bike... (Harley even says, if you can't get their brand, use a good diesel oil... and they only recommend their brand to get yer' money)...
I use Rotella in my Savage and my Sportster...
It's good stuff...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #10 - 04/17/15 at 18:52:02

Great. And another question. Is the Redline additive a must have with Rotella t6? I just bought some an hour ago. And wanted to make sure prior to changing it with just straight rotella if it will messup the clutch.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 04/17/15 at 20:18:12

Add 2 ozs. per gallon of Rotella for the right ratio.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #12 - 04/17/15 at 20:21:18

So its an absolute required thing to run off of rotella?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 04/17/15 at 20:24:12

Required? Not really. You can use other MC oils but Rotella is the best. Check the tech section for a list of oils that won't ruin your clutch.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #14 - 04/17/15 at 20:28:00

Kris01 wrote on 04/17/15 at 20:24:12:
Required? Not really. You can use other MC oils but Rotella is the best. Check the tech section for a list of oils that won't ruin your clutch.

i tried searching for that and came up empty handed. I blame my phone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 07:10:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.