Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Darn auto rip-off artists....... (Read 119 times)
swing69

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Central Joisey
Darn auto rip-off artists.......
04/17/15 at 05:29:39

I needed tires for my wife's van.  45K miles, the stockers were to the wear bars.  OEM install tires never seem to have much life for some reason.....

Anyway, went with Goodyear Assurance Comfort-tred.  Great reviews, $40 a tire rebate from Goodyear.   Sooooo   off to the local goodyear dealer.

Alignment was out, pot holes have been brutal this winter.  $90 to align is a little high, but I have no equip to do it myself AND the tires were a good deal...so what the heck.  

Got a call, "your rear brakes are dangerously low"...almost metal to metal!   Now, I changed the front pads with OEM honda ~ 2 months ago, and then were at 25% .....but the rears were fine.    hmmmm. Huh

I told them no thanks, and put it on the lift today.  Heres a pict of the rear pads.   at least 50% remaining.  Rippers.

The good?   another "lesson" to teach the shop kids.......

p1010001_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Darn auto rip-off artists.......
Reply #1 - 04/17/15 at 06:39:44

And....I betcha once they started on the work they would have wanted to replace the calipers and rotors in addition to the pads!

I keep our vehicles pretty well maintained for the routine things like oil and filters, brakes, fluids, etc.  And I even change transmission fluids and flush the brake fluid at about 50,000 miles.

A few years ago for some reason I just couldn't get to the oil change and didn't want to neglect it - so I went to a fast lube place to have the oil and filter changed.  They came in with a sheet of white paper that had a bit of my gear oil and brake fluid smeared on the paper in the appropriate boxes......and they recommended that those fluids be changed, and I declined as even reasonably fresh fluids look bad on a white sheet of paper.  (One thing they did do for me that I hadn't anticipated....a mouse had built a nest in my air cleaner box and they discovered it.)

We do have a very reliable local mechanic we go to when we need something that is beyond my skill or tool level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 04/17/15 at 07:18:51

As  a former pro wrench, shops like that piss me off
I was always totally honest with my customers, and they appreciated it
do you find a GOOD, HONEST mechanic, don't just give him YOUR business, send your friends there, too (the ones you'd like for customers if you were a wrench)

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 04/17/15 at 09:24:46

YEP..

I found a GREAT guy to work on my bike former Yamaha dealer mechanic/former Nissan mechanic/former EMT... the last job threw out his back. So now he works from home on bikes and such. besides my bike, and my wifes bike.. I got my friend to take his Harly to him.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/17/15 at 11:32:49

Yeup, took my '03 Tahoe in for an oil change right after the power steering cooler had leaked all over the left side of the engine and power steering box. Was told that I needed new valve cover gaskets, new power steering box and oil pan gasket to the tune of $900.00. Told the mechanic about the leaking cooler and was told that he could do that job also for another couple hundred but he wouldn't admit the cooler was where the oil came from. Guess he didn't like working on an oily engine and was trying to scare me off.
 Installed an after market unit for under 30 bucks and had no more oil leaks. Wink

« Last Edit: 04/17/15 at 15:07:08 by Ed L. »  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #5 - 04/17/15 at 13:00:26

I have a childhood friend who went into auto mechanics. Always given be reasonable rates. Only cost me 40 dollars to have him change out the clutch in a car I used to have. Benefits of a mom and pop type garage and a friend. And I hate those mechanics trying to prey on ignorance to make a quick dollar

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 04/19/15 at 05:55:12

If you are ever in Canada and need work done DO NOT take your car to Canadian Tire. We have mandatory emissions testing inspection here and Canadian tire was caught and fined a few times recommending and performing unnecessary work, plus the fact that they are inept wrenches.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/22/15 at 10:13:51

Ed L. wrote on 04/17/15 at 11:32:49:
Yeup, took my '03 Tahoe in for an oil change right after the power steering cooler had leaked all over the left side of the engine and power steering box. Was told that I needed new valve cover gaskets, new power steering box and oil pan gasket to the tune of $900.00. Told the mechanic about the leaking cooler and was told that he could do that job also for another couple hundred but he wouldn't admit the cooler was where the oil came from. Guess he didn't like working on an oily engine and was trying to scare me off.
 Installed an after market unit for under 30 bucks and had no more oil leaks. Wink

Oily engine? no problem, that's what Brake Parts Cleaner is for  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/22/15 at 10:16:53

Art Webb wrote on 04/22/15 at 10:13:51:
Ed L. wrote on 04/17/15 at 11:32:49:

Oily engine? no problem, that's what Brake Parts Cleaner is for  Wink

Hey remember that "GUNK" stuff?  The original kind that came in the gallon can....not the later aerosol can.  That stuff sure smelled yucky and made your car smell like that for a lot of miles before it burned off.  And if I remember....after a few uses the paint on the engine was all dull and chalky looking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/22/15 at 10:18:55

Yeah, nasty stuff, never liked it

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 04/22/15 at 12:29:27

I remember Gunk very well, used to get it in a quart can with a flipdown squirt top. Stuff would eat holes in a tar parking lot if left on it long enough. Worked great as a hand cleaner after swapping out a tranny.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:24:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Darn auto rip-off artists.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.