Send Topic Print
New here! First bike. (Read 82 times)
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
New here! First bike.
04/16/15 at 19:48:23

Hello. How is everyone? my name is Neil and I am new here and all that good stuff. Also I just purchased my first bike today and it is a 2001 Savage with 4120 miles that has been rode every summer. Actually hit 85mph no problem with my 350 lb self. Here is a picture! and I hope to learn as much as I can from here and hopefully give back to this community later on as I become more experienced.  Cheesy

11160130_10200338297417921_1879509190_n.jpg
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: New here! First bike.
Reply #1 - 04/16/15 at 20:19:31

These guys know their stuff! Don't listen to any "professionals"! Stick around, you'll learn a lot.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #2 - 04/16/15 at 20:35:02

Kris01 wrote on 04/16/15 at 20:19:31:
These guys know their stuff! Don't listen to any "professionals"! Stick around, you'll learn a lot.

Ha, will do! I think im off to find a carb rejetting how to.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 04/16/15 at 20:41:33

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #4 - 04/16/15 at 20:52:10

Great. Im putting into consideration on a much louder exhaust given my state West Virginia has absolutely no dB limit on motorcycles. (outside of night time quiet thing). the previous owner drilled three 3/8th inch holes in the end of the exhaust and it backfires from higher rpm. obviously a lack of back pressure. Sooo I think ima plug those 3 holes up.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 04/17/15 at 00:11:26

Yeah, plug up the holes, ride the bike for a thousand miles or so and then decide whether you need a louder exhaust, ask yourself WHY you really need it. If you decide you do, the Dyna muffler is very popular here and so it would seem is the Jardine, there will be posts on the pros and cons of both types.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/17/15 at 03:15:49

Welcome to the site.

The big single is prone to farting, belching and backfiring when you let off the throttle.  Installing a free flowing exhaust can make this more pronounced.....and sometimes hard to jet the carb....and in some cases the bike will not run well.

The DYNA muffler is the Stage 1 upgrade....and doing that and carb jetting and the white spacer mod, and the Raptor petcock replacement are the first steps into making it a nice running and reliable bike.  The DYNA muffler sound eliminates the VW beetle sound from the bike - while still keeping the sound levels at a respectable level.

As you approach the 10,000 mile barrier it might be time to open up the right side of the engine and inspect the cam chain tensioner to get an idea when you need the Verslagen upgrade.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Neilap

I cant hear you over
the awesome.

Morgantown, W.V.
Reply #7 - 04/17/15 at 05:34:44

As for the loud its a personal pref as long as it sounds good. As well the bike when you let off the throttle from higher rpm it will have that low backpressure rumble and maybe a crack of a backfire in a loud 'POW' and usually only does it once at a certain range. and what is this white spacer mod? And I guess what I want to go for is a better throttle response. probably need to yank the carb off as is and clean it out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/17/15 at 06:22:10

The slide needle does not have an adjustable clip like older versions, and there is a white plastic spacer on top of the needle that controls the height of the needle.  If you take the white spacer out and replace it with 2 or 3 washers that fit a #3 machine screw - it makes the mid range a bit richer and eliminates the "surging" that some bikes have when they are running a bit lean.

My best carb jetting was a #50 pilot, #150 main and 2 washers - but your results may vary.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:34:55

General CategoryThe Cafe › New here! First bike.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.