Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New owner, few easy questions (Read 271 times)
Mr Schaefer Pants
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, AR
New owner, few easy questions
04/16/15 at 06:27:04

Bought my wife a 'new' S40. Its a 2013, but factory new.

One, do they not want you to touch the battery, like ever? Holy cow that thing is a pain to get to. So, I wanna put some "battery tender" standard two pin cable hook ups on it for easy charging. But I plan on getting the kit that I can just hook up to my regular charger (as read in the newb section). How much room is there for the cable and routing in that tiny compartment? Guess I should just search the forum for pics for tips and tricks and routing/installing ideas.

Two, windshield. So my buddy has a quick disconnect windshield that while holding it up, looks like it'll fit the S40, around the headlight, forks, the width of the forks, the diameter of the forks. The only thing stopping it is the top to bottom distance because of the turn signals. Now those brackets look super beefy just to hold the signals on. And since factory, they're located directly on top of the brace, do they serve another purpose? My buddy said just move them up so the windshield can go on, but I'm like no.... I'll research it first. I've attached a pic. I'd love to use the windshield if I can, its free.

And there was a third... but I can't remember.

0416150752.jpg

2013 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New owner, few easy questions
Reply #1 - 04/16/15 at 06:39:28

There is room for a pigtail in the battery box... (if you are going to use it as a power source at any time, get a fused one)...
I connected mine, under the seat,...hot at the starter solenoid, negative to battery.
The signal brackets are beefy, but they do nothing, other than hold the signals... so slide'em wherever they need to be...

Welcome to the SS.com... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/16/15 at 09:08:22

There is a small pin/bump on the bottom of the turn signals brackets that goes into a hole in the bottom yoke....it keeps the turn signals aligned.  However the turn signal bracket is beefy and won't slide around - you just have to align them by eye when you move them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 04/16/15 at 09:09:49

I go my battery tender at wally world...the pig tail attached to both terminals and I just route it so it peeks out from the right side of the seat...works great!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Mr Schaefer Pants
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #4 - 04/16/15 at 12:22:18

Ya I've been looking at battery cables online. Figuring I'll get a fused one of course, then a 2nd, fused or not, just to hook that up to my battery charger for both bikes as the in between wire to hook to the charger's alligator clips. (Still haven't gotten a cable for mine yet).

I haven't priced new windshields yet, not really. One on amazon for $140. But free is free. I'll give it a whirl, there was some very slight differences with the direction the quick disconnect mounts facing the forks, but probably just need to loosen where it connects to the windshield, clamp it, then tighten the bolts back up.  

2013 S40
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 04/16/15 at 12:29:19

I drilled a small hole in the top of the chrome tool cover and ran a thick guaged wire to the positive side of the battery and up thru the tool cover a inch. Capped it off with a plastic electrical insulator. Now when I charge the battery I just hook my positive lead to the wire and the negative cable from the charger to the rear axle bolt. Makes it easy if you need a jump also.

IP Logged
Mr Schaefer Pants
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #6 - 04/17/15 at 05:07:49

Went ahead and did it last night. There was enough room in the chrome tool cover area to keep the extra wire and fuse part, rest is zip tied up and easily tucks under in between the front of the seat and rear of the tank.

One thing I noticed this little battery doesn't appreciate a 3a charge. Instead of a 2/10a charger mine does 3/15. I heard it bubbling after only a few minutes of 3a, so I turned it off, let it cool, then started it back up again.

Also had an oopsy cause the fuse it came with was a 7.5, so when the charger blips on it'll shoot 15a before you can click the button to change it to 3. So I stuck a 20a in there.

Still wouldn't be able to jump off of the tiny wire though. I don't recall seeing any markings on what gauge wire and what it can handle. But then again its a tiny battery, with a tiny starter, and a tiny motor. Coming from diesels its a little flip flopped for me  Wink

0416151736.jpg

2013 S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 04/17/15 at 05:12:53

Yep, 2 amps is the most they recommend for motorcycle batteries.  Tenders or Trickle Chargers that are 1/2 amp are ideal sizes...the slower you charge the better the battery likes it.

You really shouldn't have to be charging your battery if you ride regularly, a Tender can be used when your bike will not be used for a couple of weeks.  I only place the tenders on when winter arrives.

IP Logged
Mr Schaefer Pants
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #8 - 04/20/15 at 20:59:54

Ya I may have to go out and buy another charger for the bikes. Only worried about charging the S40 this one time. Its my wife's and she's a new rider. So lots of starting/stopping, and stalling. And occasional leaving the key in the on position these past few weeks. Coupled with very short rides.  So I just wanted to 'top it off', and it did need it a bit. She's past that now and we've gone on some longer rides.

As per my other question, ended up just getting a OEM shield through Amazon. Now looking up one of the viking bags, but I think I need to find a rear turn signal relocation kit.

So it begins....

2013 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/20/15 at 21:50:57

Waaah, waaaah, waaaah,   cry me a river....
You're married to a woman who wants to ride a motorcycle AND you live in Hot Springs, Are flippin Kansas.... dude,  suffer thru it... That's about my favorite vacation spot and ohhh what a pretty place to ride.. youll survive the Savage battery... just keep swinging..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 04/21/15 at 02:09:16

Watch leaving the key on for long periods of time without the engine running.  It has a tendency to kill the ignition box.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Mr Schaefer Pants
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #11 - 04/21/15 at 09:34:52

Steve H wrote on 04/21/15 at 02:09:16:
Watch leaving the key on for long periods of time without the engine running.  It has a tendency to kill the ignition box.

That sucks, but good to know. But I think she's over that hump now, along with the 2 position choke  Grin

I think Justin blew up the small joke about the battery  Wink But he's right, the riding here is pretty doggone awesome.

2013 S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/21/15 at 09:41:04

[quote author=427D5C6C676E6A696A7D5F6E617B7C0F0 link=1429190825/0#11 date=1429634092]Steve H wrote on 04/21/15 at 02:09:16:
I think Justin blew up the small joke about the battery  Wink But he's right, the riding here is pretty awesome.

Just be glad you didn't spell anything wrong....it could have been worse!

IP Logged
Mr Schaefer Pants
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #13 - 04/21/15 at 10:28:04

Dave wrote on 04/21/15 at 09:41:04:
Just be glad you didn't spell anything wrong....it could have been worse!

Oh so you're saying I got off easy, got cha  Grin

2013 S40
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 04/21/15 at 16:28:52

I have been known to be a spelling and grammar nazi too.  I have just restrained myself when seeing some of the stuff posted on here. I do still make errors but I try to do better.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:21:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner, few easy questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.