Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New here with a few questions (Read 366 times)
Cronyschism
YaBB Newbies

Tucson, AZ
New here with a few questions
04/15/15 at 15:44:59

Greetings all,

Purchased a 2007 S40 (36,6xx miles) a few weeks back and discovered this wonderful site loaded with info. Anyhow, I've set forth to make necessary repairs prior to registering and insuring this bike. The main thing wrong with it from the beginning was the negation of any type of muffler; someone slipped on a straight pipe onto the existing factory pipe. Well, it was shooting out blue fire (noticeable at night) and it sounded like a handgun going off, not good at all. The idle was super low, too, I'm guessing 600-700 rpm and shot out black smoke when releasing the throttle. The night I picked the bike up, I added fresh gasoline and a small amount of seafoam to the mix; after about 3 minutes of riding the throttle response improved.

First thing I did was pull the battery (13v disconnected) and placed it on my charger overnight (about 13.10v after a full charge). Pulled the air filter which appeared to be the stock pleated fabric element. It wasn't filthy but had alot of little yellow flowers from the Palo Verde tree. I blew compressed air through it and reinstalled. I managed to find a used factory muffler on ebay, removed the straight pipe and slipped on the new muffler. Sounds much better now. I also increased the base idle speed on the carburetor and it idled so much better; the crackling sound when the throttle was released was gone, however, the black smoke remains. Changed the oil with Red Line 10W40 full motorcycle synthetic. Couldn't find any ZDDP additive in town so I just went with the "overkill" oil. Had no choice to change the oil...it was blacker than the void of deep space and reeked of "well used oil" ha.

So the next thing to do - shall I pull the carb and disassemble and clean? As a side note, I noticed the brass mixture idle plug is intact. Any thoughts?

Also, after two weeks of searching the web, I managed to locate a pdf of the Clymer manual for 1986 - 2004; is the newer 1986 - 2012 that much different in terms of content? Is the factory shop manual any good?

-Cronyschism

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New here with a few questions
Reply #1 - 04/15/15 at 16:36:54

Welcome...
Black smoke is fuel,.. so I'd pull the carb and clean... make sure everything is tight n' tidy...

A Clymer's and this site is probably all you'll ever need.   (see the Tech section here for info on Clymer errors)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/15/15 at 18:39:12

Black smoke.....when the throttle is closed....Have you pulled the vacuum line to the petcock to see if there is any fuel in it?

There shouldn't be any fuel in the vacuum line that connects to the front of the carb...that is an indication the vacuum petcock diaphragm is leaking.  That would allow you to learn what the Yamaha 660 Raptor petcock can do for you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rylee

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Beach California
Reply #3 - 04/16/15 at 08:04:37

Serowbot wrote on 04/15/15 at 16:36:54:
A Clymer's and this site is probably all you'll ever need.   (see the Tech section here for info on Clymer errors)...

Welcome to the site. I almost feel like a Clymers is only for diagrams. This site has been and will be way more informative when it comes to hands on issue experience. You'll find that with the majority of your potential issues there is a unified answer rather than needless suggestions. Everyone here has walked me through every issue I've had no matter how big or small.

And unlike many forums member logevity and post counts actually mean something in here and you can generally take their advice to the bank. There's also quite a few members who've built there bikes from the ground up and sell the parts to help you do it as well.

The tech section is by far the best I've seen on any site. And asking a question in here won't get 20 replies telling you your an idiot that should learn to search. It usually receives an immediate answer and/or a link to threads where that particular problem were addressed and eventually solved.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your S40. 36k on an 07 is some good riding miles. Go thru her and do the obvious. A few things to look into while in the tech section.
Raptor petcock (already mentioned)
Cam chain tensioner (should be near the second time @ 36k)
Brass plug (as you mentioned)
White spacer mod

96 Bobber
  IP Logged
Cronyschism
YaBB Newbies

Tucson, AZ
Reply #4 - 04/16/15 at 08:47:14

Thanks for the quick replies.

Last night, I pulled the petcock vacuum line from the carburetor nipple end and inspected the hose - it was dry inside but the brass nipple seemed to have traces of old fuel - like sticky varnish. As suggested, I think it's time to pull the carburetor and do the usual cleaning and inspection procedure. The Mikuni carburetor seems to be very similar to the Keihin (Honda) type and I cleaned & rebuilt 4 of those last October so the memories are still fresh in my mind.

On other thoughts, I'm going to pick up the Raptor petcock fairly soon - after reading the multitude of complaints and recommendations here, it's a no brainer. (Someone call me out if I'm wrong) So I take it this bike does fine with a simple gravity fed fuel system? While its a 652cc, this engine doesn't have the same demand as say, a 650cc inline 4 not to mention its a SOHC.

Are the pickup tube filters on the Raptor enough microns or is an inline filter needed? And if the petcock is left to "on" for an extended period time, will the float needle (if its in good shape) prevent engine flooding?

Thanks again for the responses. I have a bit of work to perform now.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/16/15 at 08:53:17

Cronyschism wrote on 04/16/15 at 08:47:14:
Thanks for the quick replies.

On other thoughts, I'm going to pick up the Raptor petcock fairly soon - after reading the multitude of complaints and recommendations here, it's a no brainer. (Someone call me out if I'm wrong) So I take it this bike does fine with a simple gravity fed fuel system? While its a 652cc, this engine doesn't have the same demand as say, a 650cc inline 4 not to mention its a SOHC.

Are the pickup tube filters on the Raptor enough microns or is an inline filter needed? And if the petcock is left to "on" for an extended period time, will the float needle (if its in good shape) prevent engine flooding?

The stock petcock is not a "pump"....it has a diaghragm that allows gravity flow when the engine is running - it does not pump.

The Raptor petcock is a manual version, and is also gravity flow like the stock vacuum operated petcock.  You need to learn to shut it off when you park the bike for an extended period....not at every stop along the way.  If you forget to shut it off and the needle and seat in the carb are not sealing well....you can have problems.

If your fuel tank is clean, the stock fuel screens are adequate....I don't recommend that you run an inline filter as they can cause flow problems.  Some folks get by running them - others don't and have had problems with the bike not running properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/16/15 at 08:53:34

Gravity flow from the Raptor is fine, as are the pick-up filters (in-line filters are more trouble than they are worth)...
To be safe, the Raptor should be turned off... that said, I only turn mine off if I'm parking inside my shop... otherwise, it's on day and night...  
(call me crazy)... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Cronyschism
YaBB Newbies

Tucson, AZ
Reply #7 - 04/27/15 at 14:03:29

A little update - drilled out the idle mixture plug, pulled the tank off and changed the spark plug. Old plug was black and sooty but not wet (plug was DP8EA-9) so I replaced with DPR8EA-9 for now. Started bike up and it ran so much better with a fresh plug in, yet black smoke from the exhaust remained while letting off the throttle so I decided to pull the carb. Once I removed the float bowl drain screw, brown stinky fluid began to flow. Definitely dirty inside. Additionally, the intake boot from the air box left a black smear of pasty dirt (see image). Going to have to clean the inside of the boots.

During the first step of disassembly, I ran into an issue - the screws holding on the vacuum cylinder were so horribly tight, that I stripped 3 of them, regardless of using a good quality and correct sized phillips head. Yeah --it's a big mistake on my end. So should I drill the screws out and if so, what drill bit size? Or is there another safe recommended method of removing the screws that are badly stripped?

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 04/27/15 at 14:33:54

I guess you mean the screws head stripped,not the thread? If it's the case, I usually have good luck with a good vise grip grabbing the head. Otherwise, I'll dremel a slot fora big flat screwdriver. Good luck. Yamalube carb dip for cleaning it is the shiz.

IP Logged
Cronyschism
YaBB Newbies

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 04/27/15 at 14:38:09

Yes, the screw head stripped not the actual threads...never managed to even hear the "breaking" sound when the threads begin to loosen up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/27/15 at 14:57:21

The factory uses near permanent thread locker.
You should be able to break it free by grabbing the head with a small vice grip.
You might consider applying heat to break down the thread locker.
Or pen oil.

WWW   IP Logged
Cronyschism
YaBB Newbies

Tucson, AZ
Reply #11 - 04/27/15 at 15:11:42

Cool, I have vice grips, a heat gun and determination. I suppose if all else fails I can use my broken bolt extractors.
I find it strange that all 4 of the float bowl screws were able to come free with little effort and no head stripping.

Thanks for the tips!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 04/27/15 at 16:21:06

If you are going to buy a Raptor petcock, make sure you get the right size. I can't think of the correct part number off my head, but there will be a number of site members who can advise this. Don't be tempted into buying the cheapest thing on EBAY.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Cronyschism
YaBB Newbies

Tucson, AZ
Reply #13 - 04/27/15 at 16:34:47

Haha, thanks for the heads up; I've seen alot of import junk on ebay over the last few years when I first began riding and working on bikes.

I believe the correct part number is   5LP-24500-01-00

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 04/27/15 at 17:04:29

what size Philips did you decide was the proper fit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:25:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here with a few questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.