Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starts up in Neutral OK, runs only on kickstand (Read 80 times)
Backtobasics
YaBB Newbies

Singles, pure and
simple

Exeter, NH
Starts up in Neutral OK, runs only on kickstand
04/13/15 at 08:04:53

Getting the bike ready for spring.  Put away in mid-Nov with oil change, clean air filter, full tank of gas with stabil.  Battery replaced last year and tended all winter. Started right up on the kickstand and can run forever in that position, but every time I lift her up she stalls. Clutch lever doesn't seem to be the issue, as it happens when engaged or not.  I did put new grips on this winter (Avons).  Wonder if I shorted something in the switch housing? The only other thing I did was add a roll bag to the back with the straps sitting over the electrical components under the passenger portion of the seat.  Any ideas?

« Last Edit: 04/13/15 at 10:43:54 by Backtobasics »  

2007 S40, Raptor Petcock, Versy Adjuster, Avon grips, Seat lift, and Saddleman roll bag
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Starts up in Neutral OK, runs only on kickstan
Reply #1 - 04/13/15 at 11:08:08

Your neutral light switch must be acting up.  The safety interlock thinks the bike is in gear....so when you put up the kickstand it kills the engine so you don't try to ride off (in gear) with the kick stand down.

The blue wire that starts down at the engine near the oil sight window goes up to a connector under the tank on the right side of the frame.  The switch is inside the engine.....you need to take off the clutch cover to access it.

It could be just a loose or broken wire - if your neutral light doesn't work, then check the connector under the tank.  If you put an ohm meter there the wire should go to ground when the engine is in neutral, and be an open circuit when the bike is in gear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Backtobasics
YaBB Newbies

Singles, pure and
simple

Exeter, NH
Reply #2 - 04/15/15 at 10:41:47

Thanks for your help on this, Dave. After years of riding bikes, and not wrenching them, I picked up this thumper with the intention of learning about every nut and bolt.  Guess I'm going to get my wish!  During my initial session trying to work this out I seem to have lost the electrical system.  No response when the ignition is on.  I'm ordering a new battery to start, the old one was a good glassmat but a real bugger to squeeze in and almost impossible to get out of the box.  I am thinking removing the battery may be necessary more than once to nail this issue down.  So the switch is in the engine,...Wow. I've got some homework to do here.  Thanks again for the insight.  I love the bike.  I've had bigger and faster, but this one is my favorite and I feel that way every time I ride, hence the "Backtobasics" nametag.

2007 S40, Raptor Petcock, Versy Adjuster, Avon grips, Seat lift, and Saddleman roll bag
  IP Logged
Backtobasics
YaBB Newbies

Singles, pure and
simple

Exeter, NH
Reply #3 - 04/20/15 at 15:20:31

Dave, checked out the manual regarding the safety interlocks.  Before scoping out the neutral switch, I figured I'd look at the easier to get to interlocks, and sure enough, when I looked at the clutch lever it was not fully engaging the tiny switch button.  Upon more investigation, I realized the clutch was too loose and the locknut was not even tightened against the clutch lever, but loosely aligned with the cable adjustment.  Adjusted the clutch to the recommeded .12 inch, tended the battery for 12 hours, cleaned all the leads, and what do you know,....cranked up the first time and stayed powered on through all the gears.  Thanks to you I was able to focus on the safety interlocks and not investigate the whole electrical harness.  Whew!  A little guidance, a little manual research and a bit of luck and I'm ready for spring.  Thank God for this website!  Also, for those with access to the battery complaints, I added a strap around the actual battery and coated the inside of the battery box with vaseline on the touch points where the battery dragged and didn't want to come out.  Now everything just slides in and I can grab the strapes to easily slide the battery out.  No longer a hassle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:28:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starts up in Neutral OK, runs only on kickstand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.