Send Topic Print
Valve cover gasket leak (Read 96 times)
allmotor
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve cover gasket leak
04/10/15 at 16:27:42

I took my bike in for a recent tune up.. when i got there, there was a nice size oil leak at the top of the motor on the right side. They serviced it and said that the valve cover gasket was leaking.. I'm new to bikes but am very mechanically (car engine) inclined. I cannot find this gasket yet an FSM/Instruction on how to do.. any help guys?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Valve cover gasket leak
Reply #1 - 04/10/15 at 19:21:27

allmotor wrote on 04/10/15 at 16:27:42:
I took my bike in for a recent tune up.. when i got there, there was a nice size oil leak at the top of the motor on the right side. They serviced it and said that the valve cover gasket was leaking.. I'm new to bikes but am very mechanically (car engine) inclined. I cannot find this gasket yet an FSM/Instruction on how to do.. any help guys?

The only "valve covers" on this engine are the two inspection covers that allow access to the rocker arms so you can check the valve lash, and the gaskets are just O-Rings. Part#s 38 and 39 on this diagram.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2000-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147741#s...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valve cover gasket leak
Reply #2 - 04/11/15 at 05:18:22

It can be one of 3 things.

The O-rings on the valve inspection caps as mentioned.
The rubber Plug over the right front cylinder stud (a very common problem).
The sealant on the cylinder head cover on occasion can fail over near the spark plug area.

You need to clean the bike well, and do a few short rides and inspections to try and find out where the leak is actually coming from.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:32:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve cover gasket leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.