Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cylinder head nut torque check (Read 53 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Cylinder head nut torque check
04/07/15 at 19:31:18

When you do the leaky plug replacement should you check the cylinder nut torques? just in case?
I'm going to tackle the oil plug change and see if I can get lil' Harley to texas Smiley Cheesy Cheesy Roll Eyes

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: Cylinder head nut torque check
Reply #1 - 04/07/15 at 21:24:06

on an iron head / block engine I would say definitely, but on the Savage / S40 I will defer to those who are more familiar with this lovely beast, as I seem to recall a thread where it was contraindicated (that five-dollar word means not recommended Grin)

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 04/07/15 at 21:33:19

Yeah, that's why I was askin'..... if I were to tighten them a tad... it might actually make the gasket useless.... which is why I was asking...
There was a lot of oil leaking (dripping off of the fins) after my last superslab run (I held it at 75 for about an hour)...and some "old deposits", making me think that the cylinder gasket might have leaked a little.
The top (valve cover) has been "resealed" as there was black RTV used for the sealant and I don't think the company used that.
The cylinder head gasket is wet (might be from excess oil) and there is quite a bit of dirty stuff along the axis of it.
I realize speed and air would throw oil around a bit, but I hope the wetting of that gasket did not make it "weep" oil also.
If no one says anything, i'll not worry, I figure replacing the plug will stop all the major stuff anyway.
I'll just keep it clean for a few days and see what happens....
I will also do another superslab run to see if it leaks after my fix.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/07/15 at 21:37:51

So far, Ive Heard of one bad gasket, No real evidence it really was bad.
I wouldnt touch that job. Mine went 20,000 Leak free miles, never touched those bolts and I had the head cover off two or 3 times,,
Oil on the outside make it leak? Ohh,, better not wash it,..

Fix the Problem,, run, dont walk, away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/07/15 at 21:40:22

lol I started mine when I did the valve adjustment, forgeting that I hadn't tightened down the valve covers, and then freak "where did that oil come from? OMG!" I sometimes wonder about myself Undecided

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 04/07/15 at 22:40:12

LOL!
I am actually doing a video of it.... not sure how much i'll have to edit out.... from "does this one come off?" to "how the heck do I get that cable off?" and "top dead center?, I don't know what i'm looking at, gotta go back to the site to look again".
I used an old hanger to make sure the piston was up top, not realizing it does that twice.... I finally figured it out... my valves are within limits, but probably a "tad" loose. I will re-adj. when I get it back on tomorrow.
The plug had NO SEALANT at all around it, no wonder it leaked after pounding away on the superslab.
Oh... and the mount bolts... blue locktite...I almost dislocated my back getting them to break loose, had to take a two hour break, was dark before I started to get to cleaning everything.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll finish it tomorrow.....and then I will ride the next day!  Grin Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/08/15 at 03:12:58

The problem/issue with checking the head torque....is that you just can't throw a wrench on it and torque.  Three of the four nuts are exposed to the outside and they will have corroded into place.  Most of the time it takes a whole lot of force to get them to break free.....just about the time I think I am going to break the stud off the nut "pop" and break free.

So - if you want to torque them you have to take them off (one at a time), and then clean up the nut and stud to remove any corrosion, then lubricate the threads with never seize, then torque them.

It really isn't worth the effort....this bike doesn't blow head gaskets.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:47:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder head nut torque check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.